“Lovely hotel”

Hotel Marhaba Beach
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 11 days with my family for my wedding to my tunisian husband the wedding wasn't in the hotel but we stated here prior to the wedding and after for the honeymoon
Arrived early hours of the morning check in was going smoothly till we realised we hadn't been given all rooms on the same floor which we had asked for and normally wouldn't be a problem but there was 11 of us with kids meaning we would be separated nothing could be done that time of morning so we were told to return the next day where sadly nothing still could be done as the hotel was full but the manager assured us he would try his best and to give him his due he did, he provided us with a large family room on the same floor for my sister and the kids and it was lovely so big thanks to him
The hotel itself is very nice yes a little dated but clean, reception is lovely and monseff the night receptionist is an amazing guy always friendly and helpful the kids loved him as he would play hide and seek with them!
The food here was nice ( however I have had better in other tunisian hotels with a lower rating) breakfast for me was the poorest meal not much choice and the toaster is awful! The other meals were nice we were allocated our own table to seat us all for the week and our waiter was very nice. The good choices were good and I particularly liked the grill and the pasta stations
The pool round the hotel could do with updating it's very small and hard to get out of as it has high walls next doors hotel at the hotel marhaba is better it had slides too but is very busy
The beach is great lovely and clean and easy to get a sunbed, the beach bar is also very nice with BBQ food at lunch
Water activities are great I recommend taking a little walk to the right and choosing the hut run by the Swedish lady she is great and gives a good price the water chair is amazing but very fast!
Animation of an evening was just ok the guys are nice enough but don't put in a massive effort I thought again I've seen better shows at 3 star hotels
The drag show which cost 20DT is good I wouldn't watch it again but it's entertaining for one night
Our room was lovely sea view and double bed. Maid was fabulous cannot fault her she cleaned every day it was spotless she been folded up our clothes if we had made a mess. She decorated our room beautiful for the wedding day and we got a fruit basket from the hotel too lovely gesture
The wedding day at the hotel was amazing all guests and staff were fantastic towards us clapping as we walked by and congratulating us. We had some amazing pictures taken.
Overall I did really enjoy the stay here yes it has minor faults but doesn't anywhere? I would return here.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Gemma58

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My fiancé and I have just returned from our second trip to the Marhaba Beach Hotel, joined by our friends, who we met for the first time last year on our first trip to the hotel. Travelled from the 13th-20th October, we had an equally fab holiday this year. The weather was spot on, the beach is one of the nicest we have been to, and we travel a lot.
We emailed the hotel prior to arriving to request a seaview, we received an extremely nice email in return saying they would do everything they could to accommodate this, and indeed they did. Our friends infact were given the same room after expressing their delight with it first time around and we found ourselves 2 doors down with a spectacular view (rooms 402 and 404).
We love everything about the hotel, the rooms are spacious, very clean, and linen and towels are fresh each day. The food is plentiful, fresh and hot. The drinks are fine, plenty choice, including cocktails, wine, beer and spirits or soft drinks. Water is provided as and when you need it free of charge. All staff work day and night to ensure all guests have what they need to enjoy their holiday. Last year we tipped a lot , after reading reviews from previous guests, but this year we tipped much much less, and received the same 1st class service. Its up to you, if you feel you want to tip then do it, but the staff don't hold their hands out expecting to be tipped, but are very very grateful if you do. Its not much afterall, 1 dinar is 40p , 2 dinar 80p etc, and 1 or 2 dinar is more than enough to show your appreciation for their hard work and attention. Our highest praise goes to Atef our waiter whom we first met last year, for the first 2 days of our holiday he was on his days off, but when he returned he remembered us, and was so happy to see us, we asked to be moved to his area so he could again be our waiter, 1st class was an understatement, for such a young lad he showed just how hard these people work, remembering faces, remembering drink orders, breakfast, lunch and dinner, always having our drinks ready and waiting, what ever you want he would get, we didn't mind tipping him a wee bit extra for his excellent attention to detail. And my last praise goes to the animation team, a nicer bunch of fella you will not meet. From dawn till dusk these guys smile, wave, dance, sing,, play, encourage, chat and generally be there for anyone who wants to join in and have fun. My fiancé had great fun playing beach volleyball each day, the boys would come looking for him, and others who wanted to join in and they really did have great fun, with us on the side lines watching Timo cry when he was beaten, in fact Timo, Tiga, Leo, Alex and Kaled all need praised for their efforts in trying to make your holiday the best experience they can, and despite reviews saying they are only interested in chatting to girls I can honestly say that they have the same time for everyone, and at least one of them took time each day to come sit on your sunbed, or the sand and chat about themselves, us, the weather, football whatever and they were never in a rush to get away, and believe me I am no 18 year old blonde bombshell lol.
So if you are thinking of visiting the Marhaba Beach Hotel we say go for it, its not the Ritz but the staff and service is 5 star. Happy Holidays :)

Room Tip: Send an email prior to travel and request a seaview, its so so worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue H
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I picked this hotel as we wanted a good value, all inclusive week’s holiday. Most of the hotels in Tunisia seem to have average reviews but the Marhaba Beach looked a bit better than most which is why we chose it. We stayed at a 5* luxury resort in Egypt last year so I wasn’t expecting this one to be amazing in comparison but I think, without even comparing it to anywhere else, it still didn’t really meet the kind of standards we expected from this type of hotel.
The hotel looked perfectly nice from the outside and inside it had a Tunisian feel to it but it could have done with a bit of an update. Our room was nice and clean, but again could have done with a slight update, and we had a lovely sea view which I’d paid more for. The biggest pain for me was that we had 2 single beds even though I’d asked for a double bed and I absolutely hate sleeping in 2 twins pushed together! We found that we only had one plug socket and the TV didn’t work. We asked at reception if they could fix this but no one did. Apart from that, reception was generally very helpful and friendly – let us into our room when we needed a spare key and booked a taxi to El Jem for us.
Another gripe that I had was with the maid. A couple of times we went up to our room around midday to find that only half the room had been cleaned – sheets taken off, towels taken but no clean towels put back and bed not made. She seemed to do half in the morning and half in the afternoon for some strange reason which was a pain as we’d often go up to the room after lunch to get out of the sun for a while to find a half-made room. Even when we put the do not disturb sign on the door she would still knock and try to come in and even when I told her we didn’t need the room cleaned she insisted and practically chucked us out of our room at one point! One time I came back to the room to find that she had taken money off the side – it was a Polish note we had from a previous trip and my husband was using it as a bookmark. She was Polish and clearly assumed it was for her, although I’m not sure how she came to the conclusion that we knew we would have a Polish maid and so brought Polish money from England just for her!
I wasn’t at all impressed with the pool – it was quite small and the water level was a lot lower down than the sides which meant that you couldn’t sit on the side of the pool with your feet it. There was a small pool for the kids but the adult pool only had a small area where you could actually touch the bottom and they closed this part off for volleyball which meant that the only part of the pool available was the kiddie pool or the really deep end. The pools in the sister hotels were better but we didn’t visit these as we heard they were a lot busier.
The beach was a lot better so we spent most of our time there – soft white sand, calm sea in the morning, slightly bigger waves in the afternoon and the sea was always nice and cool. There are plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas and this area is roped-off by the hotel so that the sellers along the beach have to keep their distance. They do bug you as soon as you step out of the roped-off area by the sea but they all leave you alone after saying no once. There are plenty of water activities along the beach such as jet skiing, parasailing, banana boat, sofa boat, etc. We did the sofa boat and I hated it as they went way too fast and I was holding on for dear life but my husband loved it!
I know it was the summer holidays but the hotel was very busy which meant that you either had to tip the pool/beach lifeguards (and I use the word lifeguards very lightly!) to put your towels down every day or get up quite early to do it yourself. I was putting our towels down at about 8/8.30 and by this time the majority of the beds on both the beach and by the pool had gone.
The biggest disappointment for me was the food. I chose all inclusive because I like my food but it wasn’t good here at all. We were assigned a table for the whole week and had a lovely waiter who left us flower decorations on our table on our last night. Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day as they had a range of cereal, toast, breads, pastries, yoghurt, fruit and hot food. There wasn’t much to choose from with the hot food but the omelette station was very good. Lunch and dinner tended to be very similar and there wasn’t any variety at all over the 7 nights we were there. They didn’t have themed nights like I’ve had at all inclusive hotels before so I found myself eating the same thing almost every night – fish, basic pasta, pizza, chips and salad. It was okay for a couple of nights but we ended up both getting very bored of the repetitiveness. The desserts were quite nice and we always had the ice cream. Both of us had upset stomachs which I think was from the fish – the couple of times I tried it it tasted funny so I didn’t finish it but both times I tried it my stomach felt dodgy afterwards.
The beach barbeque down on the beach was a bit better for lunch even though it generally served the same things – pizza, pasta, chips, salad etc. but also something cooked on the bbq such as burgers or steak. It’s easier to get to when you’re on the beach but it did get busy as it’s quite small so we often had to wait a while to get a table.
Drinks weren’t brilliant either but this seems to be a North African thing rather than just down to the hotel. I usually drink cocktails and spirits but wasn’t keen on any of them here so tended to drink beer even though my husband wasn’t keen on the beer. I probably liked it because it was quite weak! The juices were also very watered down. There’s a guy who goes around the pool and beach selling vitamin smoothies – you have to pay for these (only about £1.50) but they’re very tasty and refreshing and after half an hour of being in the sun I found myself looking out for him.
Evening entertainment was lacking but, again, this seems to be a North African thing as I found this in Egypt last year as well. The animation team do try very hard to make things fun by offering entertainment all throughout the day – waterpolo, beach volley ball, archery, aqua gym – and try to put on a good show at night – comedy sketch, karaoke, fire show – none of which were great but I’m sure will keep children entertained. There’s a drag show on Saturday nights which you have to pay for (about £8) but it was actually surprisingly entertaining.
There’s a fish spa in the grounds which is wonderful and really relaxing and you can also book up any trips you want next to the fish spa. There isn’t too to do outside the hotel and the main strip is a bit of a walk down the road. The port is a 15 minute taxi ride and this was lovely to visit in the evening for a meal and to see the light show at the fountain.
I sound like a really moany person here but I’m honestly not and I’m never usually this negative about anything! Overall, we had a good holiday but the hotel was just average and we definitely wouldn’t go back there again. If you’re just looking for a cheap beach holiday this is ideal just don’t have high expectations and you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend paying more for a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsAylasAdventures
Reviewed October 26, 2013

ok .... was dreading this holiday a bit due to reading the reviews before we went, but was very happy when we arrived . The hotel was spotless cleaners were fantastic food was nice ok it wasn't great but if all you want is English food then go to Spain!!, I went with 3 children and they were happy enough with it, you are allocated a table when you arrive which you stick to for your entire stay its very straight forward really, we found going for tea around 7.15 pm was perfect no queues what so ever, there is a pool man called Steve and if you give him between 2 and 5 diner a day he will keep you your sunbeds where ever you want them around the pool so no need to rush down in the mornings, pool was lovely.. entertainment guys were FAB!! Timo, Tiga, Alex, Kaled and suuzie were great worked really hard all day and night BUT as hard as they worked the evening entertainment was very very poor, that to be honest was the only downside.
I know everyone has different views but I have tried to be honest as I can from my experience ...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leanne S
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed from9/10/13 to 16/1`0/13 We had booked for the Marhaba Royal Salem but were given a BLUE wrist band others had GOLD when I queried this I was told that they were all the same, we were then taken out of this hotel and through another and arrived at beach we didn't unpack as we thought that we had been put in wrong hotel, There was nothing wrong with the room it overlooked the pool and had a kind of sea view which we hadn't asked for the only thing wrong was that we were told that we could only eat lunch at the beach shack which we didn't like as it seemed dirty and people (Russians) were fighting for seats. After the first day we found that we could get lunch in the middle hotel especially if you ate outside. The only thing wrong was the waiters in this hotel were very rude and abrupt. We spoke to Michael (rep Thomas Cook) who we found very helpful and arranged for us to eat lunch in the Royal .
We enjoyed our stay and could find no fault with the beach hotel yes it is tired and needs a refurb but you only sleep in your room so it does not really matter. The food was excellent , rooms clean the waiters were the best although we didn't tip him until last day and still got excellent service (usually sat at table 14/15) We enjoyed this Marhaba Beach Hotel so much that we have booked to go again beginning of December, just hope the weather is OK

Room Tip: We were in room 341 hope we get same room again
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank judythompson
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My friend and I spent a week in October at Marhaba Beach Hotel where we had a great time. Our aim was to relax, de-stress and soak up the sun, which was achieved!
This was aided by the brilliant animation team! They work long hours with little time off but were always cheerful and keen to involve guests in different activities, they were usually visible around the pool and their hut during the day and incredibly friendly; often staying to chat with guests after the evening entertainment. We felt like we'd left friends behind! Didn't really get to say a proper goodbye.

The hotel itself was a little dated, could do with some modernisation but this is only in the corridoors; the rooms and reception areas were fine. All areas were immaculately kept, and were spotless. Rooms were cleaned daily, with fresh towels etc.

The choice of food was good, slightly repetitive but buffet style. I think we just got fed up with eating rather than the choice! Waiters were all very helpful and friendly.
There was not a huge amount of choice with the all inclusive drinks but we managed! We worked our way through the cocktail list, Smiling Angel was lovely. You could have the usual unbranded spirits; the list was not exhaustive but the wine and beer was good.

The only downside to the resort was the 'tipping culture' my feelings are that you tipped good service, not that you had to tip to get good service. We tipped at the end of the week but felt that we'd have gotton far better service, particularly from the bar staff on the terrace, if we'd tipped at beginning of our stay.
Ladies travelling without men...it's best to sit on the terrace when waiting for the restaurant to open as locals often came in and were persistant in wanting meet us. Also we had an issue with one chef in particular...asking us daily to meet for coffee after his shift...he also said he had a friend for my friend!

Overall, a great holiday! Lots of fun and laughs whilst relaxing in a clean and comforting environment, with special credit to the animation team;
Would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Christine T
Reviewed October 21, 2013

first time in sousse area , found the hotel very clean staff were always friendly . we had a sea view room which was great and the cleaners were very good. food was very good and no problems with drinks at the bar. Once again in Tunisia look out for men trying to con you saying don't you recognise I am your chef and try to get you into shops .beware of bag snatching when outside your hotel keep any bag in between each other .it is not as bad as it sounds... This hotel is one of the best weve stayed at.

Room Tip: If you don't like the room complain like hell
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank frederick h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
#8 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Tej Marhaba Hotel
Tej Marhaba Hotel
#14 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Hotel Marhaba Beach? Share your experiences!