“A very good hotel”

Marhaba Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was at this hotel with my adult son and returned home last Sunday. The reception area was beautiful, and my room was nice. I had the one with the orange headboard in the photos.
The staff were so kind and helpful. They always said hello if you walked past them. They were so friendly. Our rep said we should only tip the maid and the waiter once a week, and the drinks waiter at the end of the evening. He also said if they try to make you share a table, mention his name and tell them he said you do not have to share.
The sockets are the continental ones. They will bring food from the restaurants, as room service, if required. They have individual air conditioning/heating controls in the rooms.
There is an ATM and pharmacy if you go out of the main entrance and turn right.
We had a room overlooking the entrance and a bit of sea. This meant we were in a quiet area.
They had a singer/keyboard player some evenings.
We went on a lot of excursions, because there .are so many archaeological sights to see.
We did the two day trip to the desert, which included a wonderful camel ride or horse drawn carriage ride in the Sahara.
Overall, a lovely hotel and holiday.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank CDB478

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Booked last minute through Thomson & flew from Newcastle for half term 7 day break. AI cost £800 pp.
Emailed hotel a week bfore to ask for 4th floor refurbished room. No reply. Arrived at 1.00am to a deserted & what appeared closed hotel. No drink on arrival to freshen up. Bars closed.
Room on 2nd floor was in appalling state. Very tired & requiring refurbishment. Cockroach ran across bath. Spoke to reception next day about a move & then to Thomson rep. suggested paying for a suite. Day 3 moved to floor 1 (Rm154). Excellent for an extra £15 a day. 2 balconies Living room, jacuzzi bath. Very pleased.
Overall: hotel very tired & requires refurb. Some simple daily maintenance would help
Food; OK for Tunisia, but beach bar should be cleaned better, reasonable choice for all meals.
Beer: draft beer is pretty aneamic & probably 2%. On beach take an insulated "Bubba Cup"
Spirits: as usual be careful about the measures
Speciality Cafe/restaurant to be prebooked. Menu includes "hamburger with egg" !!!!!
WiFi: chargable at MBH, but lots of people aware of master password of beach/beach
free wifi at sister hotel above indoor pool & nice coffee
Indoor pool was being demolished when we were there....no advice from Thomsons. Hammam v poor, & gym out of 1960's
Tipping didnt seem to work as service was indifferent until you were 2 days away from leaving
The pool guy was only interested in tips. The beach guy was very helpful
Captain smiley was a nightmare, but a firm NONONO I do not want to go on your B***dy pirate trip did the trick (after the 5th time of telling)
Entertainment was OK but principally geared for the kids. The tranni show is a must

Overall: Out of school holidays the Thomson cost is £400 pp AI, which including flights is very good value. The hotel is 2.5/3 star only & tired. Try to prebook a 4F refurbished room or suite

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank davidrboyne
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We booked this hotel for 2 weeks October 24 November 7, fantastic holiday were impressed by the service and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. wide variety of food and always fresh. Clean room, bedding and towels, lots of sun, great beach very clean totally relaxed, Thomas Cook rep was there to help and for trips away , we would definitely return, We have stayed at other Hotels in Sousse but this hotel beats the lot.
Best Wishes to all the staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank blackbob99_1999
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had read the mixed reviews on here, and was worried. I have been to Tunisia several times, and usually stay elsewhere. I booked the hotel through Travel republic, and was on Half board. I like to try all the different restaurants in Sousse, so all inclusive would not work for me.

I emailed the hotel a week before to request a fridge in my room. I got a reply immediately, which was a good sign. Most of my friends claim emails are not responded to by hotels.

I flew into Tunis, and arrived at the hotel in the afternoon at about 3pm. Check in took less than ten minutes, and I was given a beautiful seaview room on the fourth floor, with lovely views, room 443.

Breakfast consisted of cereals, a range of danish pastries freshly baked, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, sausages,breads, omelettes,pancakes, salamis and salads.

You had a selection of different meat dishes for dinner, fish,chicken,turkey,pork, pizza, pasta, a selection of salads and a wide selection of desserts.There was always traditional Tunisian food available at each evening meal. The food in the evening felt repetitive, but as I ate out most of the time it did not matter.

My waiter in the restaurant was Sami who was amazing.

I was impressed by the service in this hotel, as everyone served me with a smile. The staff were always ready to help.

After breakfast I would usually go and sit by the pool or beach bar, and would order a smoothie from Jalel. After the first day, he knew what I wanted, and always had one waiting for me.

Thank you to Achour,Mounira,Fafani,Sami and Jalel. I will definitely return to the hotel, as I was impressed with the service, I received.

Room Tip: I had room 443 on the corner, which had great views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank setravellerLondon
Reviewed November 14, 2012

was not to sure about Tunisia, need not have worried, Hotel first class, staff really friendly, food as good as i have experienced on any foreign holiday, always plenty of variety and always hot, beach bar and pool bar too the same standard as the resturant. alwayts fresh towels bedding changed twice per week, always hot water for shower, Watersports at beach were cheap and great value for money,beach was first class lovley soft golden sand and very clean. Thomas Cook rep ( Maddie) very helpful and was at the hotel very nearly every day for an hour or two. Now I would not be called grumpy for nothing so now the negatives....... not enough bar staff working often a ten minute wait for a drink if not longer, beer appeared to be watered down if at all alcoholic.... have already booked up for next year can't wait .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank grumpyScotland
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked this hotel about 3 weeks before we travelled. The pictures look lovely and to be honest the hotel is lovely it just needs some TLC to freshen it up. On the negative side it looks quite jaded. The rooms are being painted slowly in our corridor (2nd floor) we saw 2 rooms being painted during our week stay. The restaurant is very clean but again needs revamp. The food could do with being bit hotter although it wasn't cold so could just be my taste. The waiters were so helpful and ours could not do enough for us. The beach bar is again not as good as it could be. The pumps where you get the coke/fanta etc was faded on the labels and rust was beginning to show through.

Apart from this the hotel is in an amazing position right on the beach with pure white sands and beautiful blue sea. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. In the bar Selem the head barman is awesome and we made sure we had a constant supply of drinks and plenty of laughs! The food was ok like I said earlier needed to be bit hotter but plenty of choice at all meal times.

Huge warning though....... Avoid Captain Smiley aka as Captain Jack DO NOT BOOK ANY TRIPS WITH HIM...........YOU ARE NOT INSURED! He caught us on the first day there when we were exhausted and we booked a boat trip with him to find out from other guests that we were not insured and that other guests had been on it and one had gashed her foot and another was only out for 30 minutes when it was supposed to last 2 1/2 hours.

Room Tip: Most rooms have pool/sea view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank opallady
Reviewed November 14, 2012

jst got bak from an amazing holiday the staff managers animation team were all brilliant best animation team i have seen made our holiday dont listen to the bad reports as this hotel is amazing.
entertaiment was brill on a night
the pool man was so good gettin us clean towels every day
the veach is absolutly amazing

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank cpha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
#5 of 35 in Sousse
Tej Marhaba Hotel
Tej Marhaba Hotel
#13 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Marhaba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!