“A dream holiday with the bestie and holiday friends x”

Marhaba Royal Salem
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Well what can i say we was told not to go to tunisia by friends and family but is was cheap and we was out of england so we booked....
how wrong was they :) we arrived and the staff was very nice, helpful and lovely, we had to wait a hour before we could go to our room but we was givin drinks and a place to sit... we was never left to finish a drink before the next one was on the table waiting for us.....
on the first day we met our new friends at the tour rep meeting and it was the best thing we ever did.. we stayed all week with our friends and showed tunisia what england was made of hehehe.. we hired a car and drove to ej-dem where gladiators was filmed, we went quad biking which was a real expirence and danced the nights away in the club :)
The food was very nice even though my friend didnt really like it but she is very picky, and the drinks was even better, all in all the staff, hotel and room was very good and we are booking to go back next year .

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,686)

Reviewed December 7, 2010

I stayed here with my wife and son from 21.11.2010 for 14 nights the food here is superb we were all inclusive....if you want a holiday that gives burgers chips and other fast food rubbish then don't stay here because this hotel serves lamb, beef, chicken Turkey, fish etc all cooked to perfection a full salad buffet compliments the vegetable pasta selection then there are the cakes mmmmmmmmmm.... all meals were brilliant breakfast lunch and dinner and then the snack bar also served sandwiches, pan cakes and chips. The staff were helpfull and efficient the entertainment was ok ..snake charmer,,fakir and Tunisian dancers also live music, The drinks are the local plonk but everyone we socialised with found something they could drink the rooms are a bit dated but very clean as is the rest of the hotel I hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank amblemonarch
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Stayed at this hotel from 1st December 2010. As soon as you walk into the reception, you are greeted by friendly staff. massive reception. Bar staff are very pleasant and animation team are brilliant. Especially Alex, always enetertainment throughout the day and also on evenings. Hotel if right on the beach and takes less then 1 minute to walk to it, there is also a snack bar on the beach where you can get your drinks from. Hotel has 3 pools which you can use, sauna, jucuzzi, indoor pool, steam room, gym which were all free of charge. There is also a disco/club at the front of the hotel which is open from 11 till 2am, Great place to dance as that is the nearest bar to your hotel in sousse. Food was great, good selection, always chips and pasta every night along with other food. I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and i will deffinatly go back again!.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mark_D010
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Ok let me begin, i am not usually one to moan i will just get on with things and put it down to experiance, but having travelled to Tunisia 8 times in 18 months and never had a bad experiance i feel that this one needs to be share.
I stayed at the Marhaba Royal Salem hotel from the 14th - 21st November, from Airport to hotel was the longest time of my life. I arrived at Monastir Airport at 10:30am on Sunday morning and there was 5 flights + all landed around the same time, passport control was out of the doors and back on to the tarmac, not to much of a problem but it did take for ever to clear this first hurdle. Once clearing this one and reaching baggage colection we found out that the wheels of our suitcase had been smashed of rendoring our suitcase useless, but ok accidents happen but when putting all them bags out i know that things get broken. Them walked out into arrivals/departures and i have never seen so many people in my life, trying to check in to go home, the reps were rude and would not move out of the way for the arrivals to get out of the airport to the point you had to scream at them to move.
Travelling to the hotel was not a problem as my husband picked me and my family up so the transfer was amazing.
Ok now to the hotel, we walked in to the front of this amazing looking hotel and i was like this is a brilliant hotel, was i wrong!!!. check in was at 2PM but after my husband ( who is tunisian) had spoke to the manager he allowed us to book in early ( so he said ). We sat there from 12.00 mid day till 15.30 waiting to get a room people that had come from the airport were being brought in and sent straight to rooms well this was not impressing us in the slightest. Eventually after sitting there nearly 3 hours we were directed to our room ( wish that somebody would have told me to bring hiking boots ) we walked for what had been like 10 mins before arriving at yet another building then we got dragged up two flights of stairs along 3 corridors and then he said here is your room, thankfully.
Now here is were the problems started, whilst walking infront of the "bag carried" i was on the phone to the UK just saying i was there safe and then put the phone in my pocket. then i get to my room eventually and would you believe it my phone had gone Hmmmm were did it go the next day as bold as brass the "bag caried" was using my phone seen us coming and hid the phone. We informed the managment and he was like yes we will talk to him and see if it is yours. all he done was take the phone off him and put in behind the desk till we had gone.
Next problem Monday Morning, My self and my Husband my Mom and her Fiance decided to go and sit buy the pool as you would on any holiday, next thing we had security and animation team around us trying to throw my husband and my moms fiance out of the hotel ( because they are tunisian ) then for the next 7 days we had to carry around proof that they were actually staying in the hotel how embarrasing for both us and them.
Tuesday was Little Eid a great celebartion a time to be with family so this day we had no hastle and no problems untill.....
Wednesday after the celebrations everything was now open again and running normal, is was a sunny day so myself and my mom decided we would go down to the beach snack bar and grab a sandwich and a drink this was about 14.00, then from 19.00 until 04.00 the following day myself and my mom were suffering with the worst form of food poisoning you could ever imagine, and were was not the only ones. over 50% of the hotel had food poisoning over the next couple of days pools of sick were around the pool area resturant areas, stairwells and this was on thursday morning when i was able to get back out of bed.
Friday the sickness came back this time my husband had it he could not get out of bed cramps in his stomach in his back vomiting to the point of blood ( hospital trip for him ) thankfully the hospital was the nicest part of the holiday, wish i had off booked to stay there. home he come saturday morning right as rain and fighting fit.
We made a complaint to the manager who said Shhh keep it quiet of ill lose my guests, what kind of response is that to 3/4 ill people.
Saturday night came and we had plans to go out and have a few leaving drinks before leaving our other halves again, but again this plan was stopped my moms fiance now had food poisioning and he was admitted to hospital straight away, again they were very helpful, but this time they did not let him back out until the following wednesday.
so as you can see the week was a nightmare for ourselves, the general overview of the hotel is
1. Not enough seats in the seating area for all the visitors
2. Bar staff would not serve you if you are half board (like we were)
3. Food was the same and never a very big selection
4. shared food tables, with other guest
5. Resturant manager is very rude and his staff follow in his foot steps
6. external cleaners are lazy and clean when they can be bothered

i would never recommend this hotel my worst enemy let alone tell you to go there

hope this review helps and if you do risk it that you dont have the same experiance that we had.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We stayed at this hotel from 14-21st November and all in all had a fantastic week! We found the hotel to be very clean and much grander than we had expected for the price. You can eat from 6 in the morning until midnight if you so wish, with a main restaurant serving 3 buffet meals a day, the beach bar which serves sandwiches, pizza, chips etc from 12-5 and another snack bar which does a continental breakfast later than the main restaurant, and serves chocolate pancakes, chips, sandwiches etc around 4, then snacks like pizza and chips up until midnight. We found the food in the main restaurant excellent - some people were complaining, but there were potatoes/pasta/rice and couscous as well as chips at every meal, a lovely salad bar, 1 fish and 3 different meats such as roast pork, roast lamb, lamb grills etc. The all inclusive drinks were fine, the wine was certainly drinkable as was the gin and beer!!! The staff were very helpful, particularly our waiter Nassim and the Animation guy Alex. We tipped the waiters 2-3 dinar every couple of days and they really look after you. All in all the hotel was exactly what we wanted for a bit of sun and relaxation in November - no complaints whatsoever!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

After reading reveiws was very worried about going to the royal marhaba salam.There was no need to be,it was a fantastic holiday no complaints whatsoever.The. food was very good always hot and good choice.The rooms were comfortable and cleaned daily.The animation team Alex Ash and Aymen were great with the entertainment involving everyone.All the kids loved them.Ignore bad reviews find out for yourself,we will certainly go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lynn186317
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Well after reading the review for this hotel I wanted to cancel my stay and not even bother taking a holiday. I am so glad I didnt, Im thinking that the people who have left these other reviews must be getting the Royal Marhaba Salem mixed up with the sister hotel because this was great. Rooms clean, bedding and towels changed every day. Restaurant food was brilliant and staff in the whole of the hotel were amazing and extremely friendly. The animation team were such a laugh and did there very best to involve all, they did something different about 3 times a day. Alex, Aymen and Ash deserve medals for what they do because they are on the go all the time and the kids loved them. In woulod definitely return to this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AmandaB1971
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Hotel Marhaba Beach
#8 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Orient Palace Hotel
Orient Palace Hotel
#22 of 36 in Sousse

Been to Marhaba Royal Salem? Share your experiences!