“Great Holiday - would definately recommend!”

Marhaba Royal Salem
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday - would definately recommend!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Me and my boyfriend booked last August for our first holiday together and we loved it! Tunisia (a general comment) is such a beautiful place. Great weather, VERY cheap (shops, food, excursions) and great people. The hotel: we arrived in the afternoon and was welcomed by a grand reception area and smiley staff. Went to our rooms which were amazing. Large/comfy beds, clean shower areas and a tv (which sometimes works - but who goes on a holiday to watch tv?!). We was perfectly situated on the groud floor with an amazing view of the pool/palm trees. We unpacked and went straight out to explore the large complex. The smaller pool is great for just relaxing or swimming in, the larger pool is great to splash around in/be more boisterous which is great! Theres no shortage of places to get drinks from/food (although the cups were very small so had to keep going back for another!). Complex is right on the beach front which is very nice. People wanting you to buy excursions/souvineers but smile and say no (firmly) and they will leave you alone- not a problem. Food: very nice dining area and nice food/ + variety. Never got ill off any (some rumours that you do). Only complaint: we was told on the last day we could pay a small fee to keep our room till 6pm - instead of 12pm. On our departure day, we asked for our room till 6pm however we was told it wasnt available but there was a shower room for us to wash up in. With that in mind, we went our daily business, making the most out of the pool and beach. Coming to get washed up, and we was directed to the showers located by the pool (the ones your usually wash your feet it/wash sand off your body before entering the pool)! Okay, so this was a bummer as I had to wipe my self down outside, with a flannell, and couldnt really wash my hair as I had no plugs for hairdryer! I wasnt going to complain about it as it was out last day and we had such a fab trip, just thought id mention it so you are wary this may be the situation for you! Overall: great holiday! Would definately go back and 100% recommend it!

Room Tip: Personally i would choose a room on the ground floor - no climbing stairs and you get a great patio...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Melissa C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I know there are diffrent hotels here- but this review is about the Royal Salem- mainbuilding.
Situated between Sousse town and Port Kantoui- both walkable (approx. 20-30 mins). or taxis always to be found at the entrance. If not on all incl you can easily find supermarket Monoprix (turn right and walk approx. 10 min) or the supermarket just outside with limited supplies. On the left you can find palms shoppingcenter which has fixed prices which are actually fair.

Huge lobby area with tourdesks, lobby bar, elevators and front desk. Smoking allowed in the back of the lobby area. Its here you can get your entertainment every evening. Downstairs you will find spa, hairdresser and souvenirshop and entrance to the garden. There is porterservice- but he did not offer me to help- so I am not sure if he needs the tip. There is internetservice in the lobbyarea free of charge- they are not good at explaining the logg on- but when you find out it works ok most of the time. I was lucky that net worked in my room (419). Moneyexchange and telephoneservice also available. I found most staff at the front desk very friendly and helpful while others just ignored you.

My room -4th floor- had a huge doublebed, telly with good selection, aircon working perfect, plenty of space for luggage, this room had a good sized balcony. Bathroom with tub- plenty of hot water, toiletries and change of towels every day if needed. Might not be available in the morning but they will return when laundry arrives.. My cleaner was smiling, helpful and kept the room perfectly clean. Dont expect that your "do not disturb" card will be respected- had plenty of visits during my sleep by laundryman(althoug I did not have any), cleaner etc.

Lobbybar has quite a lot of waiters ready to serve you- beeing all-incl they automatically take it you dont tip- a 5 dinar in the morning helped the service during the day, mostly with a smile..Coffee mostly served lukewarm or cold.

Restaurant- buffetstyle- has plenty to choose from at all mealtimes. Unfortunately if you are not there at beginning of service- most food will be gone or be very cold- and not always beeing replaced (especially at lunchtime). There is a micro on the buffet. Showcooking at all meals. I found most meals tasty and well prepared. Funny thing is that french and arab guests get their plates filled at the showkitchen- while other nationalities get very little.Soupstation is placed by the entrance which means trafficjams. Somehow they prefer to seat their all-incl clients in one corner- which often makes you feel like beeing on a bordingschool- especially those seated on longtables 3 x 2 . Not really brill and plenty of free seats in the rest of the restaurant. You will also feel the lack of service in this section - unless you let them serve your drinks, buy wine or speak french- my table was not cleaned up, set or had clean tablecloths during my 14 days stay.(all incl do not tip ). Few waiters were really friendly and smiling while most mostely ignored me- the early morning waiter was extreemly rude and behaved silly, ie chasing me in the lobby for a teaspoon in my coffeecup....

During week-ends hotel has a lot of arab guests which are quite noisy, fighting in the hallways, emptying the buffet and mostly behave rudely- have no idea why this behavior is needed, as most other nationalities seems to function fine together.

I did not use many of the offers at this hotel so can not comment on it but my impression is that the entertainment in evenings is quite good. I did enjoy my stay at this hotel, and with a bit of behavior adjustment in the restaurant it would be even more pleasant..

I would stay again.

ps they are building a new section of the hotel right now (seaside) which can be noisy at times- I was informed by this before leaving and was not bothered as long as I kept the door closed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Aeronaut65
liverpool
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned last night . Moved to this hotel after a terrible experience at Delphin Ribat in Monastir. Everything at this hotel was excellent. Food, service, cleaning staff, waiters etc etc. All inclusive was excellent they have a separate snack bar for when the restaurant is closed , situated in the gardens. You can get anything you wish here even your drinks. The indoor pool is lovely and what you expect from 4 star facilities. As it is winter it was a bit quiet during the week but was really busy when we left.This hotel has it's own private section on the beach. My husband and I have only praise for this hotel. As for Tunisia itself ......mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank LiverpoolLinmike
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lovely hotel if you are in the main part, we were put in a different part and the rooms were very basic, apart from our room the hotel was very nice! Food was very nice, always lots of entertainment, pools are great especially the heated indoor one, rooms always nice and clean with plenty of clean bedding. If you like sunbathing I would advise going onto the roof terrace as it is loads hotter up there

Room Tip: If you get put in the basic room ask to change room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stuart M
MANCHESTER
Reviewed February 10, 2013

we stayed here in January after being relocated from the Marhaba Salem as it was closed for refurb. First half of the holiday we had one of the rooms in the outside annex .... the room was heated but very basic and the building was noisy and echoing. This was not the standard of room we booked. The hotel was fully booked and we moved to a room inside the hotel for the last half; what a difference! We could not complain about this room; kingsize bed, roomy, lovely bathroom. There is some building work at Royal too as they are renovating an outside block near the back of the hotel; the noise didn't bother us even though we were right opposite but other guests had asked to move rooms.

Our other grumble was the seating arrangements in the restaurant. After a very confusing start as to where we were 'allowed' to sit (even though we were always seated by a waiter) and a couple of embarrassing altercations with a waiter and a group of guests the restaurant manager allocated seats on a table between 2 couples, very cosy! The management of tables when the manager is off needs to be looked at.

The reception staff and the spa guys are great.Our waiter was very attentive. Food got better after 4 days but was not very warm (there is a microwave). Indoor pool with jacuzzi, steam and sauna fantastic. The bar men were brilliant constantly running around to serve you at your seat. Wifi worked in our bedroom in the hotel and there is a cyber cafe. Grounds are beautiful.
Any questions please ask.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank manchesterlulu
Marhaba-manager, Directeur général at Marhaba Royal Salem, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comment on tripadvisor.com,
Our target as a management in Marhaba Royal Salem is to give you satisfaction for all your stay with us and more.
That's why you will see one of the managers of Marhaba royal salem all the time in touch with the guest to give him more advises about they stay or to program with them there trip-visit in Sousse.

For the restaurant, we was at this time full, as you told in your comment, and we are sorry for this disappointment about the restaurant. and Be sure that we will fix this, with the person in charge.

See you soon with us.

The Hotel Manager
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My second holiday at this hotel in two months. Lovely hotel with beautifully kept grounds to walk around. The beach is only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel and has a beach bar there. The staff are what make this hotel really great though. The cleaners are fantastic and work really hard - my room was cleaned every day. Also the bar staff especially Wahid, Amine, Mondher and Ali - up and down the room bringing us cocktails for hours - always smiling, never complaining. Also, the animation team are excellent at this hotel - even though it was quiet they still went all out with their entertaining and generally keeping us company ;) - special thanks to Kimo, Mido, Alex, Sam, Bibo, Sagon, Fi-fi, Sophie and Nino - true stars.

Room Tip: Room at the front if there's are still building works at the back.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank marialthomas
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This holiday is fantastic! The rooms are so clean and well looked after. The staff are very friendly and the service is great.
I came away for a week on my own and will be back in June!

I would live here if I could!
Strongly reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013