“Had a brilliant time with a few bad points”

Marhaba Royal Salem
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Had a brilliant time with a few bad points”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at the Marhaba Royal salem recently- We didnt arrive until about midnight and the people at reception moaned at us that it was late and wouldnt even let us have a bottle of water to brush our teeth with or anything to eat unless we paid for it because it was so late which i was abit digusted with seeing as it werent our fault we got there late. The hotel grounds were beautiful and such a nice place to go for a walk around. Our room was very good and clean and the maid was such a lovely person always smiling and talking to me, everytime she cleaned the room she would leave flowers and would make pretty things out of the bedding which was always nice to come back to. All the staff were so very helpful and always made effort to talk to you, although, the blonde woman on the animation team never really spoke to anyone and always walked around with her nose in the air. I would warn the girls who go there as some of the men on the animation team do get quite suggestive. There are alot more good points that made it the best holiday ive ever had but it would take me forever to write it all :D Thankyou to everyone at the Marhaba Royal Salem for making my holiday wonderful, i would highly recommend it and hopefully be going back there again next year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Abby L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Never been Tunisia and wasnt sure what to expect. But dont be put off by any bad reviews here. Dont understand those saying no entertainment - we had fab entertainment every night! Food choices were amazing, staff ridiculously helpful and friendly - particularly Mario, Sam and mezo or however u spell his name. Excellent entertainers and dancers. Nothing too much trouble. The cleaning was exceptional here and the lady so lovely. Plenty of activities going on thru day for my kids, beach volley ball, wter pole, beach bowels, mini discos etc etc - catered well for all my kiddies. Us adults loved relaxing in evening after mini disco to whatever entertainment was on. Drinks were nice as in proper glasses. Always had the ice and no one was ill once. I think you can actually drink their water in Tunisia but then again never felt the need to try as bottled water was always readily available. Beach was literally at front of hotel and sea was warmest i ever swam in. Free pedaloes were a bonus too and nice and safe as water never got too deep. Sorry this is a rushed report. Been on holiday many times and never wrote a review before but felt this hotel really warranted it. Would love to go back next year. xx ps. one last tip. Make use of the beauty room. Prices ridiculously cheap compared to back home and the ladies that work there very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank heather e
leicester england
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked between may 27th and June 10th

We had booked to stay at the Marhaba Salem but before we got to the hotel we was told building work was going on so we would have to eat elsewhere at the Royal Salem.

When we checked we were moved to the garden room (281) the room seemed basic but fine a balcony 3 beds and a cot for our little boy (Sam 2 years old) but be warned the beds are very hard!

There was no air con at first and when i asked when it would be on as we had the sun in our room for most of the day ( it was very hot) i was suggested to leave the patio door open at night this was great as the room was cooler but now we could hear the music from the next doors night club! The air was turned on at the start of our 2nd week.

Dinner was fine on the first evening and it seems that the entertainment ( i use that word very lightly ) was based in the main reception hall of the hotel. but we did notice there was little seating in the reception hall as the next few days passed you couldn't get a seat in there and a lot of people were sitting on the floor or the walls around the steps . The entertainment was pretty poor they had a kiddies disco then they just played music or on 2 nights had a belly dancer and a snake charmer. As easytiger9691 the blonde girl walked around with her nose so far in the air with rarely making any kind of contact and this is so very true. Every hotel I've been to all the entertainment team speak to people even if it's just a morning but not her!

The team seemed to change in our 2nd week and a nice guy called Sammy joined them and we spoke to him a lot but some of the others i would have to question what they did?

As the holiday moved on it was getting very busy with eastern Europeans ( I was told that they'd been pushing the hotel to them at a good rate to stay)and there manners were shocking by just pushing in and grabbing food like animals and never queuing and the beach bar was unbearable to eat in due to this unless you wanted to get a seat at 11.30am ( as people were doing) and dinner opened at 12.30pm.

In the end my Family and other couple we meet ate on the beach even though one manager had a moan about this at me and there were lots of others doing this i told him in no uncertain terms that the place was to busy and it was a disgrace how people seemed to behavior in there and another dinner hall was needed to be open, and the fact there were no signs on the beach bar saying you couldn't do this.

It wasn't as bad at night if you ate early( reception restaurant ) but then you'd be fighting to get a seat in the reception afterwards. In the end a few of us just sat in the Cafe outside next to the snack bar where there was plenty of seats and you could if you wish smoke a shisha. This would cost you 6 TND for a small one or 10TND for a large one. You could get drinks here as well though one night the both the reception bar and the cafe bar ran out of Vodka and brandy!

The food was fine and anyone saying all they had seem were chips and pizza you must have been in the wrong hotel I'm a vegetarian and i ate fine all day with no issues at all. At breakfast a lady does lovely omelets and they have cereals , eggs toast etc..

We only used the pool once for my little boy to swim in but it was like a club 18-30's with the music on loud etc i know some people like this but it put us right off so we stayed on the beach all day long.

Towards the end of our holiday they seemed to be struggling with sunloungers but we were looked after by the pool guy every day with the same spot as well as a lovely couple we meet out there.

Adel the waiter kept on bringing us drinks all day long and never left Sam ( our little boy out) the guy was fantastic all 2 weeks.

The beach was covered in seaweed and it says something when a 64 year old gentlemen gets a rake and starts to clean gaps so adults and especially small children can get to the sea with out falling in to this stuff which was covered in woodlouse as well as cans and nappies!

The fact there were big diggers as well as a small bobkat and lorry after lorry taking this away is not what you want to see or hear all day on a beach holiday. And the both to the right and left of the hotel if you walked 100 meters there was crystal blue waters!

The General manager has said they are spending a million or so to move the rocks a little and to put a net across to stop this from happening as it's getting out of control.

There are people selling stuff on the beach walking buy but i wouldn't say they harassed unless you can't say no? They are just people trying to earn a living and it's fun having a little barter with them. We even played football one evening with some of them and they were nice people.

All in all a few things have put us off coming back here but this has nothing to do with the the waiters like Adle and the pool guy and most of the staff. The locals were very friendly and were always making a fuss of our little boy. For a few nights the gilrs local football team stayed there and he was kissed every night by them.

I was told that another pool would be open in a weeks time which would be the Marhaba Salem pool but i wouldn't hold my breath and none of the rooms looked like they were ready to open either . So i still would like to know why Thomsons and Thomas cook etc are advertising this hotel as open when it's not!

And most of all thank you to the people we met out there you made our holiday and Sam's.

Any questions please feel free to contact me.

Scott.

Room Tip: If you Tip the pool guy and the waiter ( beach bar Adel) they will look after you all holiday . Not...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank matrixsc
uk
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with family in may for 2 weeks and if it wasn't for Bibo and Mario this holiday would not have been a holiday for me. They were the best thing about this holiday and I can't praise them up enough. From the first time I spoke to them until the time I left they had me in stitches. Wot an amazing pair of guys they are certainly a big credit to this hotel and I am hoping to meet up with them again by the end of this year thats how good they were. They are amazing dancers and really know how to move and they were the ones who seemed to make an effort with everyone. These guys really made my holiday and I want to thank them for that. Well done Bibo and Mario - keep up the good work!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lewis P
MCFCChick
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Firstly, may i say the people that have complained about rocks & seaweed on the beach.......this is a natural accurance and something the hotel has no control over....that is the equivalent of complaining to the hotel it has rained all the while you have been there!!!! and if thats the only thing you can find to complain about, i rest my case!!
My Fiance and I stayed here for 11 nights in May, we went with an open mind as we hadn't been to the country before. We were warned prior to travelling that building work was taking place in the hotel and the accomodation would be moved to elsewhere on the complex. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff, a far cry from staff in Spain and other European resorts!!. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the cleaner folded our clothes into fans each day and fresh flowers were placed in the rooms each day. We had a sea view in the gardens complex (we were quite close to the renovations, but never heard them to be honest, even though we left the balcony doors open while we were in the room. The Animation Team were excellent, if it hadn't have been for them, it would have been quite boring round the pool, i had no need for my ipod, what a credit to the hotel, i hope to see the same guys there next year. The salt water pool was brilliant (helped with the tanning) and it was kept very clean and tidy. The waiters by the pool couldn't have been any better, again a total credit to the hotel.
The food was as expected for all inclusive, the meat & fish were cooked fresh in front of you to order and was always well cooked. excellent choice on the buffet side, nothing was ever left to run out, something for everyone.
The entertainment wasn't the best but i think that was due to being cramped into the reception bar, possibly will be better when they can get back into the their regular hotel, or by the pool.
We got value for money for definate.
I cannot wait to get back there and i have no problem in recommending this hotel to anyone.
Keep up the good work

Room Tip: Make sure you make the agent aware of your situation, i.e - young children in prams, disabled group...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MCFCChick
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 6 years, it used to be fantastic but has gone downhill rapidly. No entertainment in the evening when there used to be shows every night, rooms having things stolen out of them and the hotel is now swarming with locals. It's a real shame this has happened but ever since the management changed, the hotel has gone downhill to an extreme level. Will not ever stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Lulu54321
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

As a family of 5 with a 15yr old a 14yr old with slight autism & a 11yr old who turned 12 whilst there. We booked for the marharba salem but due to the closure we were put in the garden rooms with meals taken at the Royal Salem. We booked this holiday thankfully only for a week but on the grounds of it being family friendly great for kids etc plus statements on here saying how good the entertainers were ( hahahaha ) Alex I will admit was very nice & good at his job but the rest of the so called animation team what a huge let down, the blonde girl walked around with her nose so far in the air with rarely making any kind of contact with guests unless you were similar looking & age to her, the only contact with this so called team was 1 male sat next to my 15yr old who is tall, blonde & thin & could pass easily for 18, the conversation in front of me went like this.. Hello you look very sexy how old are you. 15 she replied.. Ok do like to drink alcohol with me we go out tonight. With that I told him to go away. The animation team would not even speak to the 14 yr old who has slight austism which we found very rude.on day 4 after watching water aerobics to know where in the pool it was done we had been on our subeds relaxing when water aerobics started for the 1st time next to us, the first we were aware is when we got absolutely soaked when I shouted wow the staff member shouted splash harder, as you can imagine the then 12 yr old jumped up & his brand new iPod that he recieved the day before for his birthday hit the floor & yes the screen broke, the 14 yr old started screaming. I went to Alex who was with Mario. I explained to Alex what had happened then I was rudely told by a jumped up little boy that I had no right being by the pool or using the sunbed & I shouldn't have been there. As you can imagine I did not react well to that. I took this matter to the rep Dan who in total honesty was useless all he had to do was make a complaint on our behalf & wright a report he couldn't manage that, we'd also asked him to change our seats on the plane at the welcome meeting he couldn't manage that either.
On a better note the hotel waiters, cleaners,life guard were really nice very helpful, breakfast & evening meal in the main restaurant was always plentiful always pizza & chips good for the kids but a good variety for adults.
No entertainment in the evening & a fight for seating in the evening.
Our worst incident was we discovered £500 cash in a purse in a locked hold all had been stolen from our room, when we reported it reception automatically blamed the cleaner but we knew it wasn't her, luckily Dans boss was there Issam the resort manager, once he new what room I was 175 he knew exactly how to get into the locked room without keys. He came to my room & showed us as he'd been arguing with the hotel for ages about the door security for she's as it's not the 1st time, he has told hotel that no Thomson or first guests are to be put on the ground floor until these patio doors have been sorted. He did take my partner to the police station & filed a report . I have videoed how you open a locked patio door from the outside.
The hotel has good & bad points, if you stay here have your guard about you.
I could go on but as we've only just got back I better get on

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank easytiger9691
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Marhaba Beach Hotel
#9 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Tej Marhaba Hotel
Tej Marhaba Hotel
#15 of 36 in Sousse

Been to Marhaba Royal Salem? Share your experiences!