“absolutely appaling...dont go...and Im used to foreign holidays !!!”
Review of Riadh Palms Hotel

Riadh Palms Hotel
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks 23 Sept - 3rd Oct 2012. This was my 5th visit to Tunisia so I am used to their ways and food etc. Riadh Palms hotel is simply at the best 2* rating. Must have been the blind school who rated them 4*. There are too many negatives to write in this review but if you like cheap and nasty this hotel is for you. Food quality was the worst I have EVER experienced in Tunisia (I have stayed in this region before and it was good)..mashed potatoe like runny soup ughh !!!! There are too many guests for this hotel's public areas never any seats (which were grotty anyway), The bars and public areas are very poorly lit (probably to hide the deplorable drinks beers/wines/spirits which are very inferior quality to other hotels I have stayed at.) Guests at the hotel are mainly Eastern European which maybe explains why the food was as it was..not many English or German which really says it all.
The rooms are adequate but VERY dated again poorly lit..very dark and dismal..if you are a lady who likes to look reasonable in the evening go downstairs to get ready you wont see to put on your make-up in the room...my companions room next door was exactly the same but she sufferred major problems...the wardrobe door fell off hitting her on the head...she got gastroenteritis the first week due to the poor food quality and had to spend money on doctors fees. I myself got a very bad chest infection the 2nd week due to there being no 'breathable air' the air conditioning was not on for the whole 2 weeks despite temperatures in the 30's..on asking the management told us it is hotel policy to turn off air conditioning from 15th September no matter what the temperature is!!lovely!!! try sleeping in that or even breathing!!!! The fridge cost us 30 dinars and the handle pulled off on the first attempt to open the door..the handle was a hand made wooden knob secured(or in this case not) by a large sharp pointed nail.....???? The fridge was changed but the replacement didnt work so we had to have the old one back...oh we did have safes in our rooms but the keys had been 'lost' so we had to have a safe behind reception in a very dirty dusty area which was unsafe due to cables etc lying on floor..sounds like fawlty towers? Oh no much worse than that !!!
There were probably 2 members of staff that were nice people and approachable...we were ignored by others until the last 2 days when they new we were leaving they were falling over themselves to be nice (for a tip) The pool area is nice (but someone suggested that the water quality should be tested as it seemed quite murky) trying to swim in it however was like an obstacle course there were always so many children and adults with lie lows and water play equipment in your path. Beach area is also nice lovely beach and the sea nice and warm most of the time. To the front of the hotel is a brocken down fence and old crumbling wall within which live the poor unkept stray dogs) there are just a couple of dusty roads with restraunts/bars going out at night other than to eat was not really in the equation. We met some really nice other English people (who i see have added their comments on this site) hello to them !! I noticed many people saying this was good hotel for the money as it was a cheap holiday...we paid £750 EACH for all inclusive 2 week stay thats not exactly cheap in my book!! couldnt even eat in their restaurant and Im not a chip person.. or swim comfortably in the pool. This holiday has put us off Tunisia for ever more....if you like nasty and cheap go there if not stay away !!!!

Room Tip: JUST DOMT GO THERE "!!!!!! I will be adding photos at a later date....please check them out..e...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank p0ppy1
There are newer reviews for Riadh Palms Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Riadh Palms for a week and had the most fantastic time.On arrival it was a little shocking as it was so big, it has 800 rooms! But it ran like a well oiled machine. It was a little on the run down side but extremely clean, the hotel maids work very hard at maintaining this. Our room faced the sea and the view was stunning. The staff were so friendly and kind...if you treated them with the respect they deserved then you'll get 100% back (they are working hard to make your stay pleasurable plus you are a guest in their country,so it doesn't hurt to be nice!) The food was ok, not great, but ok. They are trying to cater for 4 different nationalities, which is pretty amazing, but there was always something to eat. If you're worried there is no English food then stay at home! The organisation of eating times was exact (it has to be like that as there are so many guests) but the service was brilliant. The private beach was lovely, but get up early to secure a pitch (it's worth it). The sea was warm, calm in the morning and a bit choppy in the afternoon depending on the wind. You can be as involved with the activities as you want to, there is no pressure to do anything. We went there for a relaxing holiday and got it! We had such a lovely time and would recommend anyone to go there. We'll be returning again!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kate B
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I read bad reviews before going and wish we'd changed our holiday. We went in August for 2 weeks. The weather and hotel were lovely but........ The restaurant was like a cattle market, had long queues and food not great. we ended up going across the road to the restaurants. The hotel ran out of beer, vokda, diet coke but could buy it from the paying bar!!! The waiters are very letchy. We had 14 yr old and 16 yr old girls and they couldn't really go anywhere by themselves as didn't feel safe. I was grabbed by a man which was very scary. The staff are constantly asking for money.
No bottled water, they give you a dirty old coke bottle to fill up.
Would never go there again. We were actually on count down to come home!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela S
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Just returned from this hotel, the staff were friendly and helpful. The food can be a little basic but is plentiful. People who say the food is not British remember you are in a foreign country, you want chips, go to Blackpool. No problem getting drinks, waiters will even bring them to you at the pool side. The pool and the private beach had plenty of sun loungers, but I can imagine this getting busy in peak times. Rooms were basic and cleaned daily with towels changed daily. Very quiet with only the sound of the sea to wake us up, very peaceful. Reception staff were always happy to help. We had no problems with any electrics in the room. Money can be changed at the hotel room, pretty much at the same rate as everywhere else as this is set by the government. You are about a mile away from the town centre but taxis are cheap enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a large seaview room, these tend to be in the newer part of the hotel
1  Thank ayresomelad
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Me & my partner staid at this hotel for 2 weeks in September
First impression was that the hotel was okay, pool area was very nice and so was the beach. The sea was calm apart from breezy days when it got a bit choppy but as it’s very shallow in a cordoned off area it’s relatively safe. Many had doubts at the cleanliness of the pool though as there didn’t seem to be any chlorine in the water.

Rooms
The rooms were dated, but okay for the price. No double beds I’m afraid just 2 singles pushed together with a gap in between, not sure about the suites. The view was very nice, we had a sea view room and we woke up every morning to the sight and sound of the waves rolling on the beach.

I only have one good thing to say about the food, the rest is awful.
The doughnuts and Cakes were very nice and were the only appetising thing at meal time.
The rest of the food was a shambles. The selection on offer was extremely poor, we saw many foods undercooked, sometimes raw which is totally unacceptable. Food was not kept to temperature, and even when it was brought out fresh was cold. We spoke to a few families and out of all of us only one person didn’t have an upset stomach, though she happened to be a vegetarian. As we were ill from the second day in this hotel, the second week we decided to eat out at takeaways and restaurants, the food was substantially better and very cheap. We were directed to a takeaway where you could get burgers and chips, we ordered 2 burgers, 2 chips, and 2 cans. Total cost was 10 Dinar, which at the time was £4.

There are some kind members of staff at this hotel, but the most of the waiters we found to be very sly, and un-accommodating. Many a time we had to re-order drinks as the waiter we had in the restaurant seemed to make our drinks up, even after telling him what we wanted more than once. In the Al L’Carte restaurant we were seated, our order was taken but no one took our drinks order. 15 Mins past before we could get someone’s attention to get us our drinks. The second time we had to ask the same waiter twice for a coke, when he returned he poured the coke in an empty glass, then proceeded to fill my partners glass of red-wine with coke. Then once we told him to stop it was wine, after having a nice mix of red wine and coke he just walked off without offering to replace the wine.

Theft
My iPhone was stolen out of the room whilst it was on charge, after spending 2 hours turning the room upside down it wasn’t to be found, so I spoke to reception to report the theft. Security turned up and told me to check the room again, to no avail it wasn’t there. Then they advised me they need to speak to house keeping. I was fine with this and returned the next day to find out if there was any news. I was then advised I needed to speak to the manager and told to come back the next morning at 10am. Upon returning the next day I was told the manager was unavailable and that he would put a letter under my door. No letter appeared, after a day and a half so I went back to reception and they continued to fob me off. This hotel does not care about it’s guests, they want you in and out and any issues they want you out the door as soon as possible. They just don’t care.

Security
Your room gets accessed 3 times a day, once in the morning to collect the towels, once in the afternoon to clean the room and a third time later on to check the room has been cleaned. The balcony door is ALWAYS left ajar by the maid as there is no ventilation in the hotel. There are also no security cameras. On 2 occasions we walked into our room from outside while the maid was in their with the front door left open, without putting the key in the slot and walked straight out onto the balcony. The maid didn’t question us and finished cleaning and left, leaving us in the room. I know it was our room but that could have been anyone wandering to the room, how was she to know?

Air Con
The Air Conditioning was switched off throughout from the 15th September as it was no longer deemed to be the summer period. The temperature outside was 35-42 degrees, I’m sorry but in that heat not to have Air Conditioning on and available to the guests is disgusting.

Drink
Your selection of drink is very limited, Local Wine,Gin, Whiskey, Vodka, and 2 local liquors. And your standard soft drinks. Nothing apart from coffee, and water were self-serve. In the evening should you want a drink you had the option of one of 2 bars, the main bar or the cocktail bar outside. 3 persons in total were pouring drinks, this led to large queues and people were regularly waiting 10-15 minutes for a drink.

Entertainment
The Entertainment was adequate, it is very amateur by the Entertainment team who do all the day to day activities around the hotel. They general do a good job at keep people entertained but there is only so much you can see before it becomes repetitive. We did see a drag show while we were there at the hotel which was 15 Dinar Per Person (£6). It was okay but still repetitive and I am unsure as to why with it only being on once a week the hotel didn’t foot the bill.

Recommendations
To stay at this hotel definitely not, we had an extremely poor experience at this hotel, the food and service were exceptionally below par.

The water sports were entertaining, we enjoyed the use of a jet ski for 15 Minutes at the cost of 50 Dinar (£20)

The rings were also good fun at 15 Dinar each (£6)

A visit to port El Kantaoui and Helga will be a nice retreat for you as well.

Room Tip: Get a room in a different hotel.
3  Thank Chrissie-Eire
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Where to begin, 1st off the grounds, pool and sea are beautiful, everything else is diabolical to say the least. The food you are served is definately not for the british (not CHIP IN SIGHT ) for the whole week we stayed, no bottled water they just handed me an old pepsi bottle and told me to fill it from a bar tap, not really practical if you have a baby on formula milk. Rooms are dated and could do with an upgrade and yes they were cleaned everyday by a lovely maid , who was very helpful. We met a couple of ladies whilst there, one in particular was finding it very difficult to find something edible as she was a vegetarian, in fact they had to pay to go for meals not good when you are all inclusive. The guests at the hotel were mostly German, Russian, French and polish all who were extremely rude , pushy and obnoxious and did not know the words please and thankyou, i could go on and on and on but i wont. Please do not put yourself in this hotel you will sorely regret it .

Room Tip: Dont choose any , dont go.
2  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just returned from a week here. Was worried after booked last mintue as reviews were not good however this is our honest option of the hotel.
Thomas Cook rated this as a 4* when we booked but I would say it only rates as a 3*. There are no towels around the pool u need to provide your own. A first for us and drinks are given in thick plastic beakers.
Our room 246 was lovley and clean with sea view only problem was floor level were different heights between bedroom and bathroom and my husband stubed his toes a few times before I put a towel down. We had a leak from the shower head and asked for it to be repaired they did this and cleaned the bathroom after the flood with no problems.
There are two sittings for evening meal an early and a late we had the early sitting and our waiter was lovley. He would bring drinks and leave wine bottle on table for us. Food was of a resonable standard there was always something available to eat in the evenings. Lunch was a different story if you ate by the pool bar there were lots of flies so we ate in the main resturant. Breakfast you could get fried eggs cooked to order and pancakes but personally I only had toast and the coffee is much nicer from the cappacino machine. Fruit juice was not brilliant but passable. There was a q for these but never very long my husband had the eggs a few times.
You are allowed the al-a-carte once during your stay we had it on our last night. My husband had steak and I had chicken the food was by far the best we had all week.
The drinks were in plastic unless u asked for glass which depending on the barman u would get it. The beer had a twang to it but u soon got used to it or u could use the paying bar to buy a bottle for 3 denner about £1.20 the sprints were tasteless and were not worth having unless u had the vodka. Again they did cocktails but nothing special like u would expect if it were a 4*.
The pool area was kept lovley and clean and had no problems getting sun bed with shade. I must say that the yellow loungers with arms are nuch more comfy than the others
The beach was lovely and clean and again never problem getting sun lounger it was great to play in the waves. Beware though when u get in in goes deeper before it gets shallow again would have been a problem if I had the grandchildren.
Overall u get what u pay for I would not have a problem going back to Tunisa or this hotel its just a short flight and u get decent weather. If u expect everything to be English or cater for the english soley dont go here stay in england want to try something different go here we have had a lovley week of R and R. Just read review about A/C going off after 15th Sept ours never it worked perfect.

Room Tip: cant help u choose a good room but my tip would be next time I went I would take some plastic dispos...
1  Thank Jacquidg