“Family Holiday September 2013”
Review of Hotel Marhaba

Hotel Marhaba
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hotel was very nice, our room was perfect apart from the view we had of a roof top? Most of the staff very nice, our waiter was brilliant.
All holiday reps inside the hotel were Fantastic especially one called Bobo :-), 32c - 35c on most days feeling very hot.

Pools are fantastic especially the one near the pool bar.

Slide are available to all ages, I read somewhere before going it was from age 8 and above.
Everyone goes down them, I remember a 4 year old going down on her own.

Not a great range of food for kids and even the adult food can become repetitive.
Lots of trips available via the Thomas Cook Rep - DON'T GO ON ANY PIRATE SHIP They Are beyond [--] !!! One I can highly recommend is the Quad biking this is FANTASTIC for all ages!!

No one tells you when you arrive but you have full use of all the Marhaba group hotels that are right next to each other.

Tip the hotel staff and you will find them trying to help you a lot more throughout your holiday.

5 Dinars is £1.96. Great exchange rate.

Don't trust anyone at the Medina they are all out to scam you, haggle as much as you want, my wife had a guy try to sell her a silver necklace and bracelet for 60 Dinar and we got him down to 10 Dinar ;-)

We did enjoy our holiday and we now have fantastic memories.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 10, 2013

When we arrived the guy on the Reception was rude! It wouldn't hurt to smile. The hotel itself was very nice and our rooms were very clean with clean towels and sheets every day(Because we left a tip). The food at tea time was very very repetitive and I actually witnessed flies on the food... however breakfast was really nice- the pancakes were delicious! To get a good service in the restaurant and the bars you have to give a tip, we found we got a better service this way.

The beach was nice and it has a bar down there which is great but however when enjoying sunbathing I often got interrupted off a couple of men which worked there (I think) pestering me to go on 'buggy' and 'camel' trips, they actually sat on the end of my sun lounger I just wanted them to get lost! They asked me every day for a week, they didn't take the hint. The pools both outdoor and indoor were nice. The animation team were great they work so hard to put on a good show!

When we went out and about in Sousse which is a beautiful place I found it actually pretty scary as a young woman, It was really hot and I had shorts on and the looks I got the locals could have killed me with them, and I understand this is a Muslim Country but it was way too hot, also some one flung something out a car at me! Some of the shop workers will identify your wrist band and they will know which hotel you are from and tell you they know you and they work in the hotel just to get you into the shop to buy things so beware of this. We had a man following us down the street trying to sell us cigarettes but you just have to be firm and say no in a polite way of course. Also the zebra crossings are not zebra crossings so don't try and cross the roads when there are cars coming because they will not stop! However there is a nice shopping centre nearby(cant remember the name) with designer clothes, perfumes etc. So if you like shopping you will enjoy it in there and the customer service was great you basically have a personal shopper. There is a few good restaurants as well and loads of taxis so you will never struggle to get a taxi if you want to go out of Sousse for the day.

Our Thomas Cook rep wasn't very helpful when I wanted to ask her something she said 'is this going to be quick? Because I am busy'.

So overall Tunisia is a beautiful Country and the hotel and our room were clean, the majority of the staff were friendly but personally for my experience I don't think I would go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Amie374
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We arrived at this place on 25th August for 14 nights. The check-in at Enfidha airport following our flight from UK is a matter for another review.

Our transfer from the airport to this hotel took nearly 2 hours as the coach visits 7 other hotels en route to drop other people off first. We arrived at midnight following getting off the plane at 7:55pm!! We were given rooms 263 and 264 in the old part of the hotel, having requested low/ground floor rooms because of health issues, we were shocked to be given these two rooms.We booked pool view rooms and the view from these two rooms was the top of a palm tree,the pool was not even in sight! The rooms were on floor two accessable by a lift which when you arrive on the floor,you then confusingly walk down several flights of stairs to reach the two rooms which were along long corridors. We returned to reception to complain at quarter to one in the morning to get our rooms changed and the reception refused to change them until the morning. We did not use the beds to sleep on as the sheets were dirty, had other people's hair and "other stains" on them.The door had previously been broken into by someone and the door knob assembly had been crudely repaired. The room 264 also did not lock either from the inside or outside. The reception staff on this side of the hotel were rude and had no drinks to offer us By the time we did go to sleep is was well after 2am. Both of these rooms were decrepid,dirty and a number of unsavoury items on the floor and in the beds.

We changed our rooms in the morning having first refused two different rooms which were again on higher levels and required the extensive use of stairs. We eventually moved to two rooms in the Marhaba Club part of the hotel.The rooms were better but by no means perfect. We were also given the location within this side of the hotel to use the restaurant.

This hotel has air-conditioning but it was never turned on. The outside temperature was between 30 and 40C all of the time but without air conditioning it was unbearable.The reception and common areas of the hotel were stifling hot,smokey and unbearable and unpleasant. The reception staff turned a blind eye to this and sweating buckets inside the hotel was normal.

The restuarant was dirty, had no air conditioning and running out of cups to drink tea/coffee and plates to eat from were daily and regular events. There were shortages of bread,which ran out before 9am for breakfast and when I complained to the "head waiter" was told to wait while he went to the shop to buy some!! The queues in the restaurant were common place. British guests were a minority and most of the others were Russian,German and Algerian.These guests were rude,arrogant and there were regular arguements between these guests as they all jostled to "be in front" of others in the food hall queues. There were fights too in front of children and other adult guests as hotel staff just looked on and took no action.

The food was boring and repetative, was often cold and most of the time had flies walking on it or sitting in it! Fruit was old and bruised. The drinks were watered down cheap brands which were consumed from old plastic glasses that were just rinsed under a tap ( no dishwasher) for use by the next person. In the last few days of our holiday, the hotel ran out of plastic glasses and then served drinks using plastic cups which were also rinsed under a tap for the next person to use!!

The two pools, both dirty, the skum around the pool edge clearly visible, and both my daughters cut their feet and legs on the jagged broken tiles in the pool that did not have the slides. In addition this same pool had bare electric cables laying on the grass beside the paved area beside the pool. These cables were within inches of the water side and could well have given an electric shock.

I plan to write a comprehensive review on this hotel which I will post to the "blog pages" which will be searchable from within the blog forum. I will also be submitting a comprehensive report to Thomas Cook, and it surprises us that they market this hotel in the current and next years catalouges. It is time to implement the "undercover holiday guest" at this hotel. Don't waste your money going to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
6  Thank chrisf989
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We arrived in the early hours of 14th August for two weeks. The hotel reception is beautiful and spacious and we were met with a smile. We were given one of the old rooms on the 3rd floor. A small complaint is the lack of lifts and multiple steps to get to the room. The room although in need of a spruce up was clean with everything one needs whilst on holiday abroad.Our balcony overlooked the pool, and sea, great view.
Beach towels are available at the pool bar for a 20 dinar deposit. Mustafa is the very happy, hard working pool man who for a small tip with save your sun beds on a daily basis thus allowing you to avoid the early morning dash to reserve sun beds. An absolute godsend, we generally didn't get down to the pool much before 12pm and our beds were always waiting for us.
The animation team again were always happy, hard working and spent time getting to know the guests. They asked if you wished to participate in daily activities but were more than respectful if you didn't want to join in. A huge thank you to Mano, Mido and Nino, top guys :)))).
From previous holidays i would have preferred to be able to spend time chatting to the animation time when they had finished work to buy them a drink to say thank you, this it would appear is strictly forbidden after observing their boss watching them like a hawk.
The food was good, lots of choice, like all AI hotels can be a little repetitive but we always found delicious food to eat even our picky 11 yo ate well. The lunch at the pool bar was our favourite, pizza, pasta, salad, chips and grilled meat or fish.
As previously stated other nationalites clearly don't understand the whole queueing scenario, in the main restaurant this can be a problem as no one appears to be policing this. Furthermore the food wastage is shocking, people piling their plates ridiculously high with food they clearly have no intention of eating.
Our waiter in the restaurant Abdullah was amazing, bery friendly and always had our drinks ready at our table in the evening. You are allocated a table and a waited for the duration of your holiday, on occasion within the first few days other people would be sat at our table but hey, we just sat somewhere else, it was no big deal.
The drinks and bar staff; yes the drinks are watered down but my husband and I were always tipsy, happy days. Yes the hotel on occasion ran out of drinks, this was no inconvenience to us as we would just drink something else until it was replenished. The pool and reception bar staff were very pleasant, happy and hard working, i was always greeted with a smile and a chat. If sat at a table by the pool bar the waiters would provide me with another glass of wine before i had even finished my last one.. Manu, you were an absolute gentleman, thank you.
The pool bar staff were aware of the poor queueing of other nationalities and i regualrly witnessed them telling people to get to the back of the queue.
As a family we have fallen in love with Tunisia, it is a beautiful country the Tunisian's we met were lovely, it was a pleasure getting to know Mano, Abdullah and Sabi (night security guy).
I learn't a few words of Tunisian arabic, please, thank you, hello, goodbye, this was very much appreciated by all the staff.
We met some 3 fabulous families during our holiday who helped make this one of our best holidays. We plan to go back next year for a big reunion.
In our opinion a holiday is what you make it, my experience was people seemed to moan for moaning's sake, Tunisia is in a different continent with very differing ideas, rules and regulations. it is one of the cheapest AI hotels available and therefore you get what you pay for, and to be fair if you take off the cost of the flights, you get a hell of a lot for what you paid. Last year we spent double to stay AI in Turkey the only difference i could say is the AI was available 24 hours a day.
Hotel Marhaba, thank you for a great holiday, keep up the good work.

6  Thank happyfamilyoldham
Reviewed September 6, 2013

On arriving to Tunisia in the early hours we were not greeted by any rep ? When we got o our hotel the driver of the coach had left them at another hotel so our journey turned into an extra half hour.When we finally got o our hotel they gave me room 259 which was disgusting the damp Was all round the ceilings and walls and the smell was horrendous ! I went back to reception and asked to be moved at first the man on desk refused I asked Him to call the Thomas Cooke rep or manager of he hotel but he refused so I said il sleep in reception only then did he offer to put me in another room- The next day I went to reception were I complained about the room he gave me as all the steps were broke and lift broken so he gave me room 20 it was better but not much the room was full of ants which sum times were in my bed , There was a door which led in to the next room which I thought was locked but in the middle of the night the door came open , the next day I told the rep the door got fixed but the ants are still crawling round which bite. The hotel as No manager as I asked to speak to him the drinks are watered down and queues always around all bars except the ones were you pay , Muslim women won't queue and often caused heated augments with folk and bar staff doing drinks for them to avoid them queuing . There would be 3 bar staff but only one serving ? Sum times the other staff serve themselves a drink then go in back to drink it.Never any glasses they even wash out water disposable plastic cups Often running out of fanta sprite water , the restaurant is run like a cattle market no one to greet you the food is reheated and the eggs are under cooked no badges on staff so you got no idea whose in charge , we never had a table as it was high season so just had to sit any were if you didn't have headache when you went in you come out with one ,There were never any spoons had to eat soup with a fork , when I told rep he said he sort it and he did because for rest holiday there were spoons , the reps answer to everything is a free trip .They are not clean and mop with rags and a bucket not even a mop bucket , be careful by the pools there like ice rinks and very dangerous never saw any life guards only in the indoor pool.The country it self is beautiful and lots to do from camel adventures , to to pirate adventures , colosseum if you want hygienic Clean this is not the hotel for you . If you go make sure to take diahorrea sickness tablets and antibacterial wash

Room Tip: Don't stay
2  Thank mrsmandyp
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having read other reviews I thought we would give marhaba hotel a try,we stayed from18th aug to 1st sept what a mistake I made. there were 7 of you in total 2 children 16 and 11 and 5 adults.
on arrival I was pleasantly surprized as the hotel is attractive and clean looking, 3 rooms given (they tried to give us the tatty looking rooms first) which were nice clean and what we expected.
the pools and hotel grounds,gym and beach were all nice so no complains there, now comes the good part. the staff were rude and aggressive at times and were constantly ignoring you and smoking and talking behind the bars and some food areas. on several occasions I saw them serving children as young as 9 years old with alcohol which I complained about every time but nothing done about it.thomas cook rep Is Tunisian and kept saying they would sort out issues but nothing ever changed. I complained almost daily about both alcoholic and soft drinks running out but it just ran on deaf ears. during my stay here I must say that most staff don't want to be there and should not be there as there hygiene and people skills are rubbish, rinsing glasses under cold water and reusing them is disgusting, food left uncovered, making sandwiches with no gloves even though they had just been smoking and cleaning the sides off (with out washing hands)
I made a official complaint with the Thomas cook rep whilst there and followed up with one back home, PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE GOING HERE
I will end with the fact that lots of complaints were made by lots of people on this holiday
injection needle was on grass (moved by rep)
drinks watered down (in front of you at time in back of main bar)
lack of cutlery and crockery
money taken by cleaners
since coming back my wifes mouth is full of cold sores and all of us have had bad stomachs
on two occasions hand gestures were made to me by bar staff
ignored by bar staff while they chat to girls
I can not believe that Thomas cook as sent an independent rep to this resort to check it out as I believe that if they did they would not have it on there books after it.

Room Tip: if you do go to this hotel insist on a refurbed room, keycard not key
2  Thank davidbrain711
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here on 14th aug as a family of 5 check in was quite quick and we were shown to our rooms on the 2nd floor and we counted 41 stairs which were a nitemare for us with all our cases etc. The rooms were not the refurbished type but were nice size and clean so were fine for us. The pool area is nice with a bar which also served food like spagetti bolognase fresh pizza salad chips and things like burgers liver and turkey cooked on a bbq in front of you. The pool itself was nice with a gently sloping end and flumes at the other end which were good. There were various activities going on all day like darts table tennis water polo archery french bouls etc the animation team were excellent and friendly and realy made this hotel to be honest. Hotel also had a private section of beach with another bar- snack bar you could also use the pool and bar at the marhaba club hotel nxt door which had a lovely swim up bar and another snack bar that did fresh rolls crepes etc. There was also a bar in the reception area i must say it was also very warm constantly having to que in a small corner for drinks they did vodka gin a fig spirit whisky beer and cocktails and soft drinks the service here was so slow and the bar staff very glum as if they didnt want to be there. The entertaiment in the evening was round the pool area and had a different show every nite at 10pm but had a kids disco before main show started and bingo . The bar was horrendous constantly running out. Drinks were served all day in plastic glasses that were not washed properly only rinsed in water a very bad practic. Things like lemonade and diet coke ran out every other day and when they did they said we could buy a bottle for 2 dinar which i thought was very bad i complained to the thomas cook rep about this and he had a meeting with the manager alot of people were complaining about the drinks running out but there attitude seemed to be dont care as we had already payed in the holiday price surely for drinks in my view this was totaly uneceptable even after the rep had told them they still kept running out of various drinks the beer was weak as were the spirits. The main restaurant was nice and you were allocated a table for your stay but i witnessed many times people sitting at other peoples tables causing rows and even fights even in front of children mostly russian guests from the marhaba club who were allowed to use the hotel restaurant too the food was plentiful with a varied buffet but it was never hot and ques for omeletes at breakfast were bad waiter service for drinks and our waiter attar was excellent having drinks ready for us as soon as we arrived. We all had stomach upsets but we dont know if it was the food not being hot enough or things like the poor hygene like glasses nor being washed properly etc. All in all not a bad hotel but badly let down by poor hygene methods and all inclusive drinks running out also some of the guests mainly the tunisians russians very rude and push in ques all the time we have been to many all inc hotels in various countries inc having been to tuniia twice before but never running out of drinks so many times and they didnr care less we would never return here

• Stayed: August 2013