“Excellent hotel and a fantastic holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Marhaba

Hotel Marhaba
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and a fantastic holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful hotel and great value. Both the lobby areas and rooms were modern and very clean. Like many other reviewers we were originally put in a room at the older part of the hotel (I wander why they keep putting guests in these rooms when there is space in the refurbished area?!). This room was of good standard and if we weren't aware of the modern rooms we would have happily stayed there with no complaints. After raising the issue we were swiftly moved to one of the modern rooms. The main differences being a lovely modern bathroom with a powerful shower. Always had hot water. The room had a beautiful sea view and we thoroughly enjoyed staying here.

The hotel caters for all clientele from families with children, to couples or two women such as ourselves. The pool at hotel Marhaba is busy and lively with music and the animation team. We preferred the quiter pool at the Marhaba club ( which is on the same complex as hotel marhaba) which was tranquil and more suitable for adults. Brilliant swim up pool bar here too serving cocktails.

The hotel beach is beautiful although the sea was very cold when we visited.

The food at hotel Marhaba is amazing!!!! So much choice and different every night. Pizza and pasta is available every night for fussy eaters. The deserts are to die for!

The only things to improve on is the quality of the drinks. There's not a lot of choice and the choice there is is not great!! Also there's only one bar in the Sousse that serves alcohol. Very limited resturants and things to do to so the holiday is very much centred around the hotel.

Overall a fantastic holiday which was great value.

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Hopsie1305

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Me and the wife spent 10 nights at this hotel (returned 24th April) and found it very pleasant. We were taken to one of the old rooms and it was very tired and dated but fully functional and extremely clean which is pretty much what I expect from a three star hotel. We had a look at one of the refurbished rooms and they are virtually identical to the old rooms with all the furniture & walls Whitewashed & new curtains, apart from the rooms the hotel is pretty much faultless. The staff are very accommodating and go out of their way to ensure you have a pleasant experience when you are at this hotel. I read lots of reviews before we went and the majority suggested that tipping was a way of life & standard practice, this is absolute nonsense, we were there for 10 nights and apart from the porter who dragged our suitcases three floors to our room, I did not tip anybody until the last day, and then only if I thought they deserved it. I received exactly the same service as people who were dead set on forcing money into the hands of the barmen who had done nothing but pour a drink !!! The entertainment crew do a great job with limited resources and keep you busy if you like darts, archery, boules ETC. but don't badger you if you are not interested. The pool is a nice place to relax and it's nice to have a spot of lunch at the pool bar. If it looks like there are no loungers available then see the pool attendant who will have a couple of stacks stashed in his little area. Once again I only tipped him on our last day, but before this he set us up each morning and never put his hand out for a tip which had been reported in previous reviews. The food is very nice and we always found something to eat but I must admit we ate out three nights just to break the holiday up & I can't resist the steak houses on the road to Sousse which are both of a good standard. These are both very reasonably priced at around £35 for two fillet steaks with pepper sauce and all the trimmings. Port El Kantaoui is a nice little harbour and shopping area built for the tourists and kept the wife happy for a short while. Sousse on the other hand is exactly the opposite and I must agree with the previous review that Sousse, in the most part is a dirty hovel with nothing going for it apart from the Madina which is not for the faint hearted, and unless you are very strong willed I would advise you give this a miss. This said this is nothing to do with the hotel and I would recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a cheap relaxing break.

Room Tip: Don't buy into the need for a new room as others have done. The old rooms are fully functional a...
5 Thank JohnboyLincolnshire
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

100 % recommendation. Bright warm colors good design. Great restaurant. Really food food for any taste and even vegetarians.
Very friendly staff.
Don't mix up with the neighboring hotels that come with "marhaba" in their names

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Thomas H
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed over Easter with my teenage son. Our second stay here this year. Rep was wonderful on both occasions got us moved to a refurbished room which was lovely. Strange card system with restaurant, you are allocated a table for the duration of your stay. Sadly, no matter what we did the restaurant manager would not believe it was our card, and kept moving us. After a few days of this I was so stresssed and upset with mealtimes that we eat out for the rest of our holiday. Apart from that the hotel was lovely, staff fantastic, apart from restaurant manager, and rooms very clean. n Thankfully we were out and about most of the time so not bothered about eating in the hotel, but a huge let down when you have paid for all inclusive.

Room Tip: if travelling with Thomas Cook Rep will get you moved to a refurbished room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maddoxmob
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Have just returned from this hotel and it is the best hotel I've stayed at in Tunisia.Almost faultless.Very clean lovely staff and excellent food,great variety every day and not cheap cuts like many hotels.What I liked here is when you arrive you are allocated a table in the dining room and that is your table for your stay so there is no hassle finding a table at mealtimes and no waiters "reserving" tables for big tippers.I think all hotels should do this.On Friday evening they have a Tunisian night with candles lighting the stairway to the restaurant,waiters in local dress and Tunisian food which was delicious.Later in the nightclub there was a folklore night with a band and belly dancers. Very good evening.The pastries and gateaux are to die for be prepared to come home a bit heavier.My only gripe would be the animation team which I wasn't impressed with A few of them lacked enthusiasm and were in the wrong job.I would definately go back to this hotel tho'. A tip for anyone who wants to visit the Medina and hates the hassle( it's a dirty smelly place and you will be hard pushed to find a bargain) For pushy vendors saying no thankyou is pointless, if you say it in arabic I find this usually works It seems to confuse them.Just say LAA SHUKRAN.

7 Thank mosey24
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just arrived home from a weeks holiday at the Marhaba Hotel, had a excellent time and will definetely be booking to go back there . All the staff cant be any more helpfull , i went there on my own and was a little worried about going to begin with, the staff all made me feel at ease and to top it off the thomas cook rep MOEZ was just amazing, he went above and beyond to make my holiday special and made sure all the other holidaymakers were well looked after also, this young man is definetely an asset to thomas cook and thanks to him i will be booking again an excellent holiday .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank 369AlisonG
Fife, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We arrived back in the UK today after having spent a great week at the Marhaba hotel, Sousse. I was somewhat unsure of what to expect from some of the previous reviews but went with an open mind. We have been in PAK at the Marhaba palace the month before and weren't looking forward to some of the aspects encountered there but these were totally unfounded when it came to this hotel.

The flight arrived on time and we got to the hotel about 9.30 pm on the Sunday night, being dropped off at the hotel by the courier coach and were greeted at the desk by the staff and a cool refreshing drink. There was no rush, no hassle and we were given a form to fill in before being taken to the room by the duty manager from the desk.

The room was in good repair, fresh and welcoming, compared to the worn and tired look of the room we had at the other hotel. We dropped the bags off and headed downstairs to check the place out before it got too late, taking a quick walk around the grounds and the pool area to get at least some bearings in the morning.

In the morning we woke to the start of the real part of the holiday, heading down to the dining room, this area was where you go for all your meals, When you first go there they take your blue card that you are given when booking in and assign you to a table/waiter for the period of your holiday. The area is very clean, bright and airey, the meals can be a bit mixed but in general terms they kept us happy with the different dishes available. We had two waiters, I think that this was due to days off and the rosters they worked but both of the were great and could not do enough to help you.

The area of the hotel that we were accommodated in was, I believe the newly refurbished area and boy it was refurbished to a very good standard.

If it was possible to give a totally glowing report this hotel would achieve it, however there were some niggles, the main one being the drinks offered, however this is not just this one hotel it appears to be most if not all of them, the drinks given are local and not quite to my taste buds but to overcome this we drank our own Duty frees.

The grounds in general are well maintained, there are a few areas that are barren like but this might be due to the constant use by guests and those people too lazy to use the paths. The main pool area is well maintained, with meals at the poolside bar for those who wished to remain at the pool area instead the main dining area. Normally its a good range of food available for eating there, with little extras like ice cream and small range of sweet buns.

The pool is very clean and in good repair, the flumes are to the right side and have three flumes. There is a pool attendant for the air beds and one also looking after users of the flumes. It wasn't necessary to tip the pool attendant unlike the last hotel, I did tip him but only because he did deserve it by asking if we needed anything. I did participate in some of the activities, for me it was Darts and Boules, the entertainment staff deserve a very big mention. They worked well as a team, they were always trying to keep the guests happy and you never saw them with anything but a smile on their faces. From Sousou, Joujou, Nino, Mano Momo, Fifi and all the others I cannot say anything but thanks to them all for making our holiday. We often hear a lot of people mentioning the entertainment staff but I think that we need to remember to tip them too, they are paid 400 dinars for working 6 days a week and very long hours. They appeared to be improving the sunbed area around the pool area, a bit of building work was taking place however this didn't really affect the users of the pool apart from some grinding noise on the Saturday before we left. While this was going on a plastic tarpaulin was strung around the building areas to keep any dust/debris away from the guests.

We didn't use the Fitness area but did walk around it and it did appear to be well looked after and run. Hopefully some of the other guests might be able to give some information on it.

The beach area had its own bar and was cordoned off from the other areas of the beach, this was to keep pedlars away form the guests, it did appear to be a nice beach however I was a bit worried over the fact that there was what appeared to be a sewage outfall river about 250 yards along the beach that emptied out into the sea. It was noticeable when we were walking back from Sousse that the wind/tide motion was pushing it towards the main beach area for the hotel and others along the coast line.

We did partake in a couple of activities with the tour company, I will write a review on these later so that it doesn't clash with this.

I cant deny it, this is a family orientated hotel, with all the entertainment geared for them but it doesn't stop them looking after the others also.

Food wise.....If your children are 'fast food' casualties, well Im afraid that its going to be basic things like chips, pizza's and ice cream throughout the holiday. If they are up for a change, them there is a good scope for them to try.

Drinks. Being all inclusive we had the luxury of drinking without the hassle of carrying money around with us to pay for it. There are two bars in the top area, one is for all inclusive and slight hidden off the main area the second is for those paying. The range of drinks is far superior in the 'paying' area with the real brands available. A small bar area is in the dining room, this has some soft drinks, wine and beer only.

There appears to be a night club but we didn't venture there, however we did use the Neptune bar a couple of times, there is normally entertainment for the children, followed by bingo and then the adult entertainment. The entertainment for the adults could be the staff themselves or some local ones come in for the night. One night we had the Tunisian dancers/musicians in, we had previously seen these on the Tuesday night at the African zoo trip.

Like all the hotels in Tunisia, cats roam about freely, most of them shy away from the guests as they are wild. There are clear instructions not to feed them and some people believe they should be removed however the other side of the coin is that they do keep any vermin down and I must admit that during out stay the only 'wildlife' we saw was one small lizard.

This review is my view on the hotel and may not agree with others, however I would say that you can put a lot of the 'niggles' aside and know that you and your family will have a good time when you stay here.

During the stay we were in Room 210 and our dates were 14th to the 21st April 13.

Any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Room Tip: Please relax and stop worrying, you will love this hotel
10 Thank Scotsnomad