“Great fort”

and up
Private Guided Day Tour to Alexandria from Cairo
Ranked #3 of 76 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: Resembling an imposing castle fortress, this citadel was built in the 1480s by Sultan Qaitbey on the site of the Pharos Lighthouse, to protect the city from the crusaders who used to attack the city by sea.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was a highlight of my travel to Alexandria. Very well preserved, this huge fort is visible across the see from corniche. You need 2-3 hours to visit all the rooms and passages. Beautiful place as well by the sea.

1  Thank Alex F

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Lovely fresh place you should visit as well as they sell a small souviners there as well as you could see a nice view of the sea plus fresh air there

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I enjoyed this so much. This was my best sightseeing ever. Its normal for anybody to enjoy sightseeing time when he is traveling abroad and that will make you very happy and the trip is memorable.. I know this. BUT this time I was in Egypt, my country .. I didn't expect it is going to be this good!! this time we had an amazing day. me with my American friend :D !! so its partially touristic review ;) ..
It was Friday ''we got up not so early .. around 9:30 am''
the day started in a good way. we used the THRAM or Metro as we say in Cairo, in Alex this will be a great mean of transportation, so to BAHARY station we stoped heading to somewhere for Friday prayer, Masjed Manar Al-Islam, the speech was so sincere and we liked it. My friend is not a muslim but she enjoyed the atmosphere anyway :D " they gave her clothes for prayer inside the mosque'' ...
after the prayer beside the sea, and the perfect warm weather we went to the castle .. awww :D !! I was about to forget to tell you that some people will walk towards you saying " lanch y bashaaa .. oh sir rental for a boat !! SIR !! '' :D I advice you don't .. please don't!!! it will be not so got..
inside Qaitbay Fort you need to recall some history. every single corner there was built on purpose at that time, every architectural element was part of the story, ..
enjoy the weather, enjoy the time, enjoy everything around you, read the boards, have great talks, MAKE IT MEMORABLE!! ..
and have quality time..

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Its just amazing place to takes pictures there is a museum there which doesnt really have alot of items but still pretty nice to look out there is alot of people tho who will try cheat you into buying things for a higher price so be careful but overall great experience

1  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Huge ancient strong citadel over the Mediterranean sea ,surrouded by small shops for souvenirs and small ships for sea trips . Alexandria aquarium is nearby . Good experience :-)