“Great location, good rooms at a low rate” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Union Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alexandria
Union Hotel
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Alexandria
Paris, France
“Great location, good rooms at a low rate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed one night in this hotel after being disappointed by the looks of another one. The location is superb, rooms are cleaner and nicer than average and some of them feature a balcony on the waterfront, at very reasonable rates.

Staff was friendly although I didn't interact much with them. Noteworthy is also the fact that they sold beer during ramadan!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Björn N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Perm, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

the hotel in the centre of the city with a nice sea view. Rooms are not very clean, but this is very typical for the Egypt. You may take a room with or without breakfast. Personnel is ok, but not very friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank keshadima
Cairo, Egypt
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

spent a night in october here in a national holiday in egypt so didnt found a room in alex but this . . . good down town location - great view & value for money but really dirty & full of bugs because the window was broken so i couldnt close it all the day . . . thank god my wife wasnt there . . . she would cry . . . dont go there !!!

Room Tip: sea view rooms r z best
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Not very nice at all. Sheets on the bed were not clean, bathrooms were pretty gross. Only upside is the location and cheap price. I think there are better options in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed here with my partner for two nights. We got a sea-view room, and in fact the location was the only nice thing about it. It was $27/night but you get what you pay for : a not-so clean place, no pillow cases on sweat-stained pillows (ech), no wi-fi in the rooms, and a rude manager.

To top it off, I forgot something in my room and when I called, I was given the run-around: Call back tomorrow at before 11am when the manager is here. I did. But the manager wasn't there. Call back tomorrow after 11am. I did. The manager had just left. Call back tomorrow before 11am. I did. No one could help. The manager wasn't there again. Also, no one spoke English and my Arabic was too basic, but they told me the manager spoke English so not to worry. I finally called again. I got the manager but he didn't speak English. He put a woman on the phone who started to yell at me. I would never stay at the Union Hotel again.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knkyvxn
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

I spent a week here while attending a conference at the Library of Alexandria. The conference organizers pointed us towards many of the higher priced hotels in Alex (Sofitel, Metropole, Windsor Palace, etc) but I'm thrilled to have found the Union instead. First, and foremost, the room was $25 a night (during peak season!). and right on the Corniche. That includes breakfast, and wifi in the hotel lobby. An absolutely unbeatable deal, especially with neighboring hotels running $100-$150 a night (and charging extra for breakfast and wifi). My room was clean, contained an ensuite bathroom, was of a comfortable size, and if I leaned way out my window, I could see the Mediterranean Sea. In the lobby, there's a cooler where you can buy reasonably priced pop, beer and water. The staff speaks some English, but I'd recommend taking an Arabic phrasebook with you just to help cover your bases. Behind the hotel there's a major shopping district with proper stores, smaller vendor stalls, restaurants and just about anything you might need.

Of course, no place is all sunshine and roses, and there were a few minor issues I had with my stay. The beds aren't overly comfortable, and the air conditioners are a joke. You can hold your hand up to it and barely feel anything coming out. As a result (during the Summer), you'll want to open your windows to catch a room-cooling breeze. However, this lets in a ton of noise from the nearby waterfront. When I was there, folks in the apartment building across the street also stayed up past midnight most nights, adding to the noise. If you're a light sleeper, earplugs will be your friend. The water in the shower was always cold, but that actually felt kind of nice in the summer heat. Finally, as recommended here, I called about a month in advance to make my reservation. However, when I arrived at the hotel, they had no record of my reservation, and were booked completely full. This is not what you want to hear at 3 in the morning after flying halfway around the world! Fortunately, I was able to get a room for that night at a nearby hotel, and the Union was able to accommodate me from the next night onward. They even agreed to the price I had been originally quoted.

So, in summation, I would definitely stay here again, but I'd call a day or two before my arrival to verify.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank msmail
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

In central Alexandria. You don't often get such a great sea view at such an affordable price! The rooms were clean and nice. Only bad thing was that there was no hot water at the time of our visit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends