“This is a 3-star hotel at best; lower your expectations”

Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed June 17, 2010

This hotel is not worthy of the Hilton brand-name. It is a disappointment.

A roach ran across my room's desk when I first walked in. The shower area flooded and there is no drain in the bathroom floor, so it spilled out into the carpet before I saw what was happening. When this was fixed, the repair guy broke the shower-head holder, so I had to call him back again. Plaster is falling off the walls in places. It is dirty. The A/C fan is very loud. There were no coffee mugs, only 1 glass. After mugs were brought, I discovered there was no creamer. Internet is $21 for 24 hours. Etc.

The hotel is sprawling on a single floor, making for a long walk to the lobby (and exit). There are no bars within walking distance of the hotel. It is not near much of anything (except a mediocre low-end shopping plaza -- KFC, Costa Coffee, small shops selling boring merchandise).

Stay elsewhere unless you have some reason to be exactly in this location.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LiamK2
Nevinehaggar, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Nevine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,332)

Reviewed April 11, 2010

We only stayed one night at the Hilton Plaza in the framework of a school trip, and the overall impression was ok, despite the location and some trouble with the staff.
We had a VIP room, so the bathroom had both a shower and a bathtub. Rooms in general are clean and spacious; bathroom is equipped with all necessary amenities. I especially liked that there were finally additional hand towels, something not all hotels seem to consider necessary. View from room not so good (either you have a view of the shopping center or of a non-descript parking lot or something like that). Good sound insulation, however. However, there is some construction work going on in the mall, so it might get loud for some rooms.
Coffee and tea provided in rooms
Staff very polite and helpful. However, the person who checked the mini bars of the students on the day of our departure tried to scam students and took more money from them than he should have. The whole thing was finally cleared and the person apologized and returned the money – but this happened only after our tour guide and management intervened.
Breakfast quite good, but nothing special. Certainly does not compare to Cairo’s Ramses Hilton
Location: the Hilton Plaza is located within a shopping mall, in the outskirts of Cairo. The good aspect is you have a cinema and a variety of cafes and boutiques around you, but the bad thing is you need a taxi to get to the center (about 15-20 Egyptian pounds, depending on traffic). No local supermarket appeared to be close by. Shops uninspiring. We had stayed at the Hilton Plaza some years ago, and back then, the shopping mall seemed to attract the hip, young Alexandrian crowd; now, it seemed to be more of a meeting point for families and more conservative couples.
If I could not find a more central central hotel, I would probably stay at the Hilton again. It's good aspect is that it is more modern and more clean than the hotels in the center.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Alex J

Reviewed April 2, 2010

Typically I spend a month or more in one location. I have stayed here 3 times now. Although, it is not in the center of any yourist attractions it is as others stated the upper floor of a 2 story shopping mall. Lots of restaraunts, a grocery store, pharmacy, clothng and souvieners are all here.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Mohamedsaady, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

Dear Mr. Hopper

Thank you for choosing Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza and Taking the time to write to us.

I was very much glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza in the near future. Please contact me directly when planning your next visit, and I would be delighted to handle your reservation.

Yours Sincerely,
Nevine Haggar
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 25, 2010

My points for the very low rating:

1) Indifferent management -- When we checked in, I noticed the guy at the counter was taking too much time for I don't know what. Considering that we were rushing to catch a couple of sights open as we were there only for an overnight stay (with early flight the next day), this was a great concern for me so I politely requested if he could rush a bit our check-in and explained the situation. After looking at me while I was talking, NO REACTION and he proceeded just the same. I repeated and instead of responding to my request, he responded saying that he will charge us a higher rate, which brings me to my 2nd point.

2) Hidden Charges -- The guy at the concierge informed us that he will have to charge us an additional fee as 2 persons are checking in. What th...?!! Now, I don't really mind if this is the policy but I just hate, really hate when they only tell you at the last minute, when you're already there as if they are doing it on purpose, hiding these additional fees. And adding insult to injury, he was insisting on this while not even addressing my initial concern of rushing the check-in process.

3) Very, very poor quality of bathroom -- photos say more than enough. Very, very disappointed about this considering they ought to be protecting the Hilton brand.

4) Even locals don't know the direction to this hotel -- our driver was a local, he didn't know the place, asked a couple of locals as well who pointed us to different directions, which also cost us to lose some time for the sights. so don't expect locals to know this hotel even if it's a Hilton. Also, considering that the location is within the city, it says how much 'hidden' it is. Like the other reviews say, it is in a very weird location: need to drive in a path that leads to a mall. Somewhere there is the Hilton.

Now, the worst thing is that there isn't really a better alternative with comparable rates that is within the same vicinity. There is the Blu Radisson but it's located out of nowhere (we passed by it on the way to the airport) with construction going on in the nearby vicinity and pretty much nothing to do. At least with the Hilton, there is a mall literally within the same area/compound that is open until 1am.

My last words of advice: unless you can lower your expectations to the grave, better save up for the Four Seasons Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank chie88

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Nice, inexpensive by Hilton standards, but weirdly situated in a shopping mall with long labyrinth-like corridors. We got upgraded and the room was great, as were the staff even at 4:30 in the morning when we needed a ride to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 23, 2010

The Service received from the Staff was good, the room was OK (somewhat noisy from outside sounds) but the location and some elements of the hotels are the poorest I have ever seen in a Hilton hotel.

The gym is an absolute joke. There are 2 gyms, one for men and one for women. From my female colleague I understood the female gym is in equal bad condition as the mens gym. There was one TV, with no sound and all buttons were broken. Could only switch it on or off. The view from the gym was a construction site on the hotel grounds which was out of order for a long period of time. The pool looked OK, but because of the view I wouldnt spend any time there.

The Breakfast offering was limited in choice but OK in quality and in line with Hilton standards.

The reception, doorman and cleaning staff were all very friendly and helpful.

I booked a car at the hotel, seemed a 3rd party operator, who tried to rip me off. First by overcharging 40 pounds (the hidden price list) and then nog giving the correct change.

Im never going to stay at this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank vastgotta

Reviewed November 13, 2009

My colleague and I spent one week at this Hotel.

My room was fine but his was shabby. Check in was very slow and took forever. My room looked down onto a shopping mall; his looked down onto building site. Both rooms were subject to external noise into the small hours.

Breakfast was the worst I have ever experienced in a hotel of this class. The buffet food was cold as were the plates. You were not supposed to serve yourself coffee and the staff seemed disinclined to serve you either. We could not face dining in this restaurant in the evening, so we used the pool restaurant called Splash. This was well staffed and the food was good.

On check out it was impossible to get my credit card to work for some time, just what you need when trying to get to the airport.

I am afraid Hilton like Holiday Inn is a hotel group on the way down

We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business