“Good Value Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Alexandria
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

I think "5 stars" might be pushing it a little, but all in all the Renaissance is a nice hotel. The staff were more than attentive, the room was clean, and the bathroom soaps had a pleasant fragrance. Room service was also not exorbitantly over priced, and the menu was not too shabby.

Chocolate croissant at the “Vienna Café” in the lobby was quite impressive.

Just a small tip: Taxi drivers may give you a strange look if you say Renaissance Hotel. Suggest saying “Ramada Hotel”.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank sneezing7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

I stayed at the hotel on business for 50 days, as with most forgein hotels they will never be to the standards you would expect in yor on counrty.
The rooms are well sized with very comfortable beds. The balcony views vary from Sea view to back street view. The rooms could be cleaned to a higher standard, but I have experienced this back home.
The staff are very friendly and try their best to aid and assist you with any problems you may have.
I never experienced any problems with the food although the staff are far to eager to remove your plate before you have finshed a meal. The Jazz Bar is recommended above the Bistro.
The leisure facility are ok, although the steam room had a leaking pipe which scalded my foot.
All in all I recommed this hotel over the Sheraton which is over priced, badly staffed and has a few undesirible characters hanging around at night (Ladies of the night and there Pimps).
Don't use the blue taxi's way to expensive, use the local yellow and black taxi's.
If you have any problems just call the tourist Police there every where.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank paulg309
vyzag
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

paid a ransom to upgrade for a beach view suite and ended up staying in doors for only hours.

the city of Alex has so much to offer.. try out the local markets which are not frequented by the tourists..

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank aiguptutrvlr
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

We arrived at the hotel at 2:00 AM every thing seamed OK at the lobby, problem was in the room we had it was very small, bed so hard and the bathroom needed to be cleaned better.
In the morning we went for breakfast, no napkins on the tables limited selection of food and what ever was available didn’t look appetizing.
Needless to say we went to check out right after breakfast,same day but 11:00 AM .

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blue Ridge, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2008

The Renaissance Alexandria was a lovely haven for me on my six-day stay in Alexandria.

I was visiting the city doing research, and the hotel was in a perfect location for me. I did discover early on, that I was there during the busiest time of year for Alexandrians, since many people in Cairo take holidays during July and head to the coast.

Another reviewer indicated that the beach-shuttle took ten minutes. Though the van is small compared to American made vans, I can assure anyone that the time spent getting to the beach took mere minutes. And this was in the busy-season.

If there was a disappointment, it was in the high-charges for internet, although that seemed typical all over Egypt. My suggestion for travelers is to visit the Alex. Library. Once inside, internet is free for all. Just check in at a desk to inquire.

The food was fine and the service at the hotel extremely friendly. There were a couple times when I asked for an extra wash-rag. The service was friendly and prompt, with little waiting.

I was traveling alone, so didn't need a king-size bed. However, I was suppesed to have one. Yet, when I saw the sublime view of tthe Med. from my room and my private balcony, the king-size bed no longer mattered. As a woman traveling alone, I felt safe and well-cared for.

I personally highly recommend the Renaissance Alexandria. :)

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank hyker1
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

I just came back from the Renaissance Alexandria, as the organizer of a trip grouping 55 persons. I will just write about my (myself and my wife) personal experience, as others (even in our group) may have had a better one especially if ending with a room with sea-view. Arriving at the Hotel I was surprised to know that the reservation "manifesto" did not specify the distribution of 2 doubles/king size beds. While understandably hotels cannot guarantee a king size bed to all, it is essential, and easier, that they try to accommodate people who are non-couples (father-son, 2 friends, etc.) who need 2 double beds. The excuse of the Front Desk Manager was that our Tour Operator had not specified it. My retort was: why didn't you ask for it? He had no answer. In other words, no effort was made for a smooth distribution of rooms for such a large group. My brother and niece found themselves in a King size room, while my wife and I had twins!! So, I immediately called back the front desk, identified myself 3 times as the Group Leader and requested to speak to the person who was still assigning the rooms, as I had a solution at least for 2 rooms: exchange rooms. The front desk absolutely refused to connect me to him and I had to run down 6 floors (elevators are under repair and go one way: in other words all the way up, in order to come down, and vice versa!). I indicated my displeasure and mentioned that this was a very disorganized way to assign rooms. Finally, I got my brothers' room (pictures enclosed), which has a wonderful view on a decrepit building.

Later, I was called by the Front Desk Manager, who offered me coffee, was extremely nice and promised me a suite. He showed me the manifesto from the Travel Agent, which had no type of bed assignment, I repeated my argument that that was no excuse: he should have enquired himself. I then showed him a very detailed bed distribution that I had sent to the hotel at the email address they advertise: he simply told me that this address was wrong! He, however, also wanted me to apologize to the persons at the front desk for calling them disorganized. I certainly forfeited his offer and later spoke with the General Manager, who was also as nice and accommodating but who informed me that the Front desk personnel were threatening to sue me for my comments! Wow......

I spent 3 days in that decrepit room, while others were enjoying great views. I am joining pictures so that people can judge if that is really even a 4-star hotel.

Finally, great breakfast buffet. Extremely poor dinner buffet.

Do yourself a favor: there are many better hotels in Alexandria, do not take a chance.

• Liked — The lobby, the breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — The location, the elevators, small room size, the front desk, the manager
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Escazu, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

We took the train from Cairo to Alexandria eraly moring and got to the hotel around 10am. We had to wait for our room for about 2 hours, but we knew we would have to wait beacause we got in early. They gave us a room with an amazing beach and sea view . The room was nice, but not as clean as you would expect from a 5 star hotel adn specially a Renaissance. The sheets did not feel clean and in fact we found a little sand and hair on on the sheets, we asked for them to be changed but found out they only changed the top sheet. We then had a second sheet change and everything was better.

The hotel has a shuttle to the beach, but it is a small van that hold about 4 guests at a time and takes about 10 minutes to get to be beach, which is less than 50 meters away, because of the heavy traffic around the hotel. We did cross the street one day, but it is very dangerous.

The hotel has very nice restaurants with fantastic service, the cafe, the italian restaurant and the corniche are all excellent choices while in Alex. We did find a grocery store (Metro) about 3 blocks down of the hotel were we stocked up on water and fruit.

The pool is nice, but small and you have to get there aerly to save a pool chair, altough we had lunch there and the service was slow........ very slow, but the waiters were very nice.

Front desk is very helpful as well as the bell staff who got our train tickets for us from Alexandria to Cairo.

• Stayed August 2008