“Unfair Business Practice”

Hilton Alexandria Corniche
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I want to express my anger and anguish over a very unpleasant and humiliating experience at Hilton Alexandria Corniche due to lack of professionalism among the front-desk staff. Despite having a confirmation on my booking (Confirmation : 3131174604) as for one night on 04/06/2014, a member of staff, after seeing our passports, refused me accommodation unless I agree to pay a higher rate for the room. His argument was as a foreigner, the agreed rate & confirmation were not valid, because the hotel has two different rates for Egyptian nationals and foreigners. He continued to refuse me boarding despite pointing out the fact that the letter of confirmation had no such provision and there was no such notification on display in this regard. I have traveled to more than a dozen countries across continents and have stayed on many of the reputed top global hotel chains, but never came across anything like that. I and my wife had never had such a humiliating and awkward experience. When, I challenged the concerned staff member, he kept us waiting for a while to consult his managers and came back to repeat himself. At that point, I asked him to give me in writing the reason for his refusal to honour the contract (booking confirmation). Following my assertion that I will take legal recourse, one of the managers came to me and agreed to allocate my accommodation and apologised for not pre-specifying the variations in prices for Egyptians and foreigners.
The whole episode is quite shocking and unusual. I know that hoteliers all over the world negotiate different rates for different clients on basis of loyalty, business volume, corporate relationships etc. But, I have never known that in the name of a corporate agreement with an UN agency a hotel chain can discriminate between nationals and charge almost sixty per cent higher prices for foreigners (920 EGP for locals and 1400 EGP for foreigners) .
Hope, this incident will be investigated and no other guest will have to go through this kind of harassment and humiliation in future.
Furthermore, when we got into our room and wanted to make tea we found cups were soiled and not cleaned which you won’t find in any other star-rated hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I checked in on 13 June 2014 and stayed a couple of days with my wife and our little dog Snoopy. All the staff were lovely, cheerful and very helpful. Hotel location is nice and the room view is awesome. swimming pool is not that big but it was not a big deal, beach is very clean and organized, there is a free hotel bus that takes you to the other side of the road to the beach. Rooms are a little bit small and has everything even an ironing table but lacks hair dryer. The only thing that I hope to see since the hotel is pet friendly is a small area for dogs to do their stuff, maybe in a corner by the beach. We enjoyed our stay and we will definitely go again even our dog Snoopy was sad to leave, he also enjoyed his stay so much :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Marianashukry, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Corniche, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear MO772014,

Thank you very much for sparing the time and sharing your feedback at our hotel trip advisor page.

We very much appreciate all that you have mentioned about our hotel and we are also very glad to know that your stay was enjoyable as well as all facilities at the hotel were up to your satisfaction.

This gives us power to excel more efforts in extending the best quality of service and standards expected from Hilton Worldwide brands.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at your soonest to have a memorable and pleasant stay.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

-All in all it is a great Hotel and great team, many thanks to Mr. Nader Mohamed Concierge Manager for his full commitments to handle and arrange everything and keen to solve any issues.

-I also highly appreciating the full support and helping from Mr. Yasser Allam Front Desk Manager for his help to meet our requirements and closely follow up to ensure full satisfaction.

-Thanks for Santorini Greek Restaurant team, Mr. Abd Elrady Waked and his team.

- Also, thanks to Mr. Gehad Fahmy and his team.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Emad K,

Thank you very much for sparing the time and sharing your comment at our hotel trip advisor page.

It gives us great pleasure to host you at our hotel and we are very thankful for mentioning the names of our team members who were above your expectations and served you to your satisfaction.

Please do not hesitate to re-visit us again at your soonest which we are looking forward for.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We really loved our stay there. All staff are more than friendly. Breakfast is very nice. Music was very elegant. They have special location. My little dog was very happy there. Definitely, we would love to come again.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Anglesasso,

Thank you very much for sparing the time and sharing your comment at our trip advisor page.

We very much appreciate all that you have mentioned regarding the friendliness of our staff - it will be passed to them and with no doubt they will feel very proud that they managed to make our guests happy and have a pleasant stay.

Thanks once again for mentioning that you will come again - we will be more than happy to welcome you....

Looking forward for that.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

nice location.... reception and concierge helpfull in everything orrible breakfast....poor ingredients and syntetic jiuces..orribl desserts..it's not worth wile you will not sleep too much noise from the street..luck of insulation from the windows!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Marianashukry, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Corniche, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Daniele,

We deeply apologise for any inconvenience that caused you during your stay. As for your comment regarding the breakfast - it is worth to mention that we immediately sent it to our Director of Food & Beverage for his prompt action. We guarantee that in your next trip you will not have any negative impact.

Regarding the noise - it is very valid and we will be taking it into consideration.

We do look forward to welcoming you again at your soonest to enjoy the view and location which you have liked.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I spent the last weekend in the beautiful Hilton hotel located in Cornish Alexandria. It was really a wonderful stay and my kids, husband and I enjoyed our time there form the first moment we stepped in the Hilton. Front Office welcomed us with very easy procedures, we checked in fast. Rooms were really clean and well furnished. At the Greek restaurant, we enjoyed the food as well as the wonderful sea-view. The beach- though small- was very nice, with the most observant life-guard I’ve seen in my life.
I do recommend the Hilton for families with kids; they will enjoy the pool, food and view.

Room Tip: Family rooms were really good and large with two LCDs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Salma M

Dear Salma M,

We very much appreciate your positive feedback and we are very happy to know that starting from stepping in at the hotel till your departure - it was pleasant.

This will be passed to our team members who will feel proud that they managed to make our guest satisfied and enjoyed their stay.

Thanks once again for recommending our hotel to families, friends etc it really gives us great pleasure to host all....

Looking forward to welcoming you again for another weekend where we guarantee a memorable and great stay.

Mariana SHukry

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Late arrival and early departure is not the best combination to have enough beef to write extensive review but also it is a combination which demands a lot from the hotel.

Hilton Corniche was able to fulfill everything that I needed and wished; reception worked wonderfully both in and out, room was very nice, late snack from the bar menu was nice and more than enough to get you through the night. And breakfast was very nice with again too many options to choose from.

The only minus, and it is not the fault of the hotel, is the traffic to get to the hotel... can be frustrating....

Room Tip: You can have nice view to the sea....
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Kari A,

Thank you very much for sparing the time and sharing your experience at our hotel trip advisor page.

Although your accommodation was very short but it gives us great pleasure and appreciation to know that we managed to impress you in different locations of the hotel and fulfill everything that you needed.

Please do not hesitate to re-visit us again at your soonest for a longer stay where we guarantee to make it enjoyable, pleasant and memorable.

Looking forward to welcoming you.