“Overall good to go.”

Steigenberger Cecil Hotel
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed February 26, 2014

It's conveniently located in what I'd call a "busy" part of Alex. There are many shops and restaurants near. The hotel staff have great attitudes. The only downfall for me is that they do not have a gym. If knowing that expectantly you'll be fine.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Edward S
Nabil_Kahil, General Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear our valued Guest,

Bonjour, I would like to thank you most sincerely sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Alexandria Cecil with other guests on Trip advisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to unavailability of a Gym

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Hotel has a very nice Gothic feel and blends well with the history of Alexandria, the ambience seems to reflect the culture and rich history of the city. The Breakfast buffet is a wide spread of mostly nice oriental food. The staff are mostly friendly and polite, however not everyone speaks English. The hotel is located by the lovely corniche stretch and near some good coffee shops. Overall the hotel is worth a visit again

Room Tip: try and get a room in the lower floor, where you could access the lobby wifi for free.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MarioSimons
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear our valued Guest,

Bonjour, I would like to thank you most sincerely sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Alexandria Cecil with other guests on Tripadvisor.

I am gald that you enjoyed your stay, I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a tour and have to stress that the staff were great, however the hotel itself needs work.

When we arrived, we were put in a comfortable room with two separate beds, which the staff happily put together for us, but ultimately, we wanted a joined bed.

This was sorted easily upon our return after dinner, but we were warned that it might be a bit louder on the lower level, with the implication being it was the street noise.

After going to sleep around 9/10, we were woken up at 230 to the pumping base and hard techno. While full credit should go to the sound team for setting up an impressive system, it's not really that great when your room is immediately above it.

Again, the staff were willing to fix the situation, but given the time, frankly, we couldn't be bothered moving again. Luckily, it finished up, at 530, so we could catch an hour's sleep before heading out for the day.

Moral of the story, great staff will only take you so far....suggest the hotel updates the rooms (very classical, but aging look) and avoids putting anyone on lower floors. Showers also need work as the heads can either be off, or a torrent.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear our valued Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you concerning loud music sound pumping base that disturbed you .

Once again please accept our apology, looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I arrived at the hotel without cash to pay for a taxi I cannot praise the recepastion staff enough for they way they dealt with the matter and the immediate support that they gave me.

There had been a Lot of confusion about the organization of the event that I was conducting on behalf of MAF within the hotel the staff where able to provide me with appropriate information to enable me to conduct a very successful course. The staff also provided excellent service in relation to equipment and refreshments a first rate effort on there part.

I can not praise Susan from customer relations enough for her charm and support. You have some splendid staff.

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Cecil for your stay at Alexandria .

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent visit.
To receive such praise from our guest is very gratifying and knowing that you enjoyed your stay is a reward in itself.

Your positive feedback has been shared with the team, which will encourage them to continue their efforts in this direction.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Visited for two nights on a business trip. Checkout took long time. There was a big noise because of a party (at 5am!!), that i could hear from my room! At 8am some outside renovation work started... Same everyday. There are not non smoking floors, so if you are a non smoker, definitely not your choice. Also no free wifi in the rooms. Good point: location.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MatteoZN

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Alexandria Cecil. I am sorry that your experience in our hotel did not meet your expectations; specially concerning the sound coming up to your room due to a party in the hotel and maintenance work, and also the unavailability of free WIFI in the rooms, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assure that we are taking the appropriate measures to address these points and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I regret paying money to get disturbed in early Morning, the management of this hotel should be responsible and aware about the fact that guest should have rest and quality sleep in the early Morning (start renovation work at 08:00 A.M) it’s not my problem to hear the hustle and bustle of your refurbishment at this time (most hotels inform quest and start at 10:00 A.M).
The second irritating point is that no free wifi in the room while most Accor hotels around the world and even lower than Sofitel such as IBIS or even IBIS budget in Europe offer that complimentary service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
3  Thank Mohamed S
Nabil_Kahil, General Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Alexandria Cecil. I am sorry that your experience in our hotel did not meet your expectations; specially concerning the sleeping discomfort and that the free WIFI is only in the lobby not in the rooms, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies and kindly note that a corrective action will be immediately taken .

Once again, We appreciate sharing your concerns on trip advisor, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Thanks and best regards