“Euopean elegance, egyptian hospitality”

Steigenberger Cecil Hotel
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel appears to belong to a bygone era, but has the comforts of today. The staff a lovely, very helpful, english is not their first language but they try to please.
Buffet breakfast was aa great way to start the day, they had a wide variety of carbohydrates, egyptian breakfast and the obligatory omelette maker.
Dinner menu was international, but perhaps made by people who have not left the country, but we didnt leave hungry.
The biggest downside was no Wi Fi in the room, only in the lobby and i never got my ipad to pick it up, although the iphones did.
Traffic noise and horns are also a concern, but the air conditioner and double glazing madefor a good sleep...ear plugs from the plane helped my husband.
Expensive, but I am happy we stayed.

Room Tip: Sea view is an option, with double doors and a wee balcony, about 18 inches deep...great to take pho...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear our valued Guest,

Bonjour, I would like to thank you most sincerely sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Alexandria Cecil with other guests on Trip advisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you concerning the WIFI.

Once again please accept our apology, looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Cecil is Alexandria's "grand old hotel". It is very well situated on the waterfront corniche, also looking onto a large public square. Although this does mean a bit of traffic noise, there is efficient double glazing and the views outweigh any minor noise inconvenience. "Slightly faded elegance" is perhaps a bit unfair, because this hotel still has significant style and great charm, unaffected by ultramodern upgrading. Its decor is a mixture of Edwardain and the beginnings of Art Deco. Rooms, which have balconies, and bathrooms are very spacious and well-equipped, again a bit old fashioed in appearance, but very attractive. The public spaces are also very spacious and there is a wonderful double caged lift in the marble stairwell. The hotel staff are charming, attentive and very efficient staff - and i must highlight the excellent and very cheap laundry service.. The garden-style restaurant provides tasty fresh tasting food, with no worries over hygiene. Breakfasts are particularly well prepared.

Highlight is OF charm and the staff
a large publuc square, in the cntre of Alexandria

Room Tip: A corner room, giving windowson two walls would be good!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear valued Guest

Bonjour , We do appreciate sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Alexandria Cecil with other guests on Trip advisor. I'm sure fellow travelers will find your tips and pointers very useful whilst planning their trip.

Thank you for the positive comments you mentioned and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel back when I was a little girl accompanied by my family, and I revisited recently with my fiance and group of friends and I have to say that it's still as charming as it was. The rooms have to be the best aspect, very luxurious and elegant. I have only stayed for two days and had only breakfast there, it was okay but with limited variety. Overall it was a very good stay but I believe the one thing that bugged me is how small the hotel was, but again that is how the building was designed. They can't help it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Ms. Fadwa,

I am Glad that you enjoyed your stay, It is always our great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you one again at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Cecil is a beautiful, charming hotel. It is very European, very Old World; unfortunately, it is also very expensive. I stayed there for one night, and would have been very, very pleased if the hotel had been sold as a 2 or 3 star establishment. From a 4 star, however, I tend to expect more. The lack of wi-fi in the rooms is simply unacceptable in a big town like Alexandria. The small, cute balcony is taken by an ugly AC unit. The bathroom was clean enough, but a nasty smell came up the drain. Shampoo and shower gel were by L’Occitane, but soap was a small, cheap, nondescript bar -- the only one, by the way, for both sink and shower. There were no bathrobes in the room.

The Chinese restaurant is a gloomy, unwelcoming place. I can’t say anything about the food because service was so poor we left even before ordering.

On the other hand, the hotel is wonderfully situated and the staff, with the notable exception of the waiters at the chinese restaurant, is warm and friendly. My room (308) was spacious and confortable, and I was happy with both bed and shower. And it is undeniable that The Cecil has lots of character, which is always a welcome change from what we get nowadays in most hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cronai-br
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Alexandria Cecil. I am sorry that your overall experience in our hotel did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, and rest assure that we will go deeply into each and every single remark in order to improve our services.

Once again, We appreciate sharing your concerns on trip advisor, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Thanks and best regards

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a charming hotel with many original features of a more elegant age. I'm not sure what some reviewers expect - bland, luxurious uniformity I think. We were greeted warmly and every member of staff wanted to ensure we had we needed. The lifts are wonderful, a little piece of history that work perfectly well. After reading some of the reviews I was very pleasantly surprised by breakfast. It is in a nice light airy cafe with a large selection. There are many pastries,fruit,cheese, eggs,cooked dishes of different styles. We had a an omelette which was good.
The rooms are nice and clean with double glazing. The bathrooms are large, modern and I suspect the time it takes for the hot water depends on which room you are in. The toiletries are L'Occitane, the towels thick and fluffy.
There was one major problem. We had the suite on the second floor, Room 202. This was above the bar and at 11pm loud music started. It was unacceptable so asked to be moved. This was done very quickly and amiably but I would warn anyone against rooms 201,202, 203 and 220. The bar is open until 2am!
It's a bit of a nuisance having wifi only downstairs but this hotel is lovely and in the best locations for enjoying the Corniche and the sites of Alexandria.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil on your recent visit to Alexandria, and for taking time to write your review on trip advisor, I’m sure fellow travelers will find your tips and pointers very useful whilst planning their trip.

I'm glad you enjoyed the style at our hotel and do apologize for any inconvenience concerning the music sound coming from the bar.

If you have not registered to our A Club loyalty program, please do so to benefit from the stays at any Accor hotel, and for more information you can contact me on h1726-am@sofitel.com

I look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Alexandria.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

luxurious rooms with a view on the main street and the sea and an old square.
the services are good, food quality is great.
one of the oldest hotels in Alexandria, and one of the finest as well
they have the best american coffee and espressos ever

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Mr. Khalifa

I'm glad you enjoyed the style of our hotel and look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Alexandria.

Thanks and best regards