“very good”

Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Alexandria
egypt
“very good”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

i enjoyed my stay very good restaurant also the swimming pool was clean

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
France
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Behind a rather somber reception you will find bright, small and well decorated rooms. Good location not too far from downtown. But Mercure is a french chain, so be prepared for "service a la francaise". 4 people waiting for 1 receptionist (another is in the backroom), the guest relations desk is permanently unoccupied, at breakfast your bill will be at the table before you are (you are getting your coffee, or looking for a teaspoon, or queuing for your eggs in front of 2 cooks and 1 cooker). The place is fair but they should try harder!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Kyiv
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,029 helpful votes
Reviewed June 13, 2010

My initial choice of this hotel was based on its location. Within several days that I stayed in Alex I planned to explore it as thorough as possible. That included not only downtown Alexandria, but also Montazah and some villages to the north-east of Alex, Abu Qir and Rashid (Rosetta) in particular. Mercure Romance is located in between these destinations, and I thought it should be fine from the logistics viewpoint, but I underestimated the distance to downtown.

If your only interest in Alex is exploring its downtown area including Kom El Shouqafa Catacombs, Roman Amphitheater, and Fort Quait Bay, choose something closer to Midan Saad Zaghlul and Eastern Harbour. Mercure Romance is no good for that.

Said sites are in no walking distance from the hotel. And taking a taxi you will follow the traffic stream each time; towards downtown early in the morning and back to the hotel in the afternoon, that's where everyone drives. Unreasonably time-consuming. The only nearby site is Stanley Bridge, and it was lovely to walk to it along the Corniche then catch a taxi.

The hotel is situated very close to the Sidi Gaber train station. If you arrive to Alex by train, exit on Sidi, don’t go as far as Misr end-point. It’s also not far from El Nozha airport; when I was leaving Alex it took me about 20 minutes to get there by taxi very early in the morning.

Based on TA contributors’ advice, I negotiated 5LE for a taxi ride from Sidi Gaber; it’s just a couple of quarters in fact.

The hotel looks fine for a business stay; no extra luxury, but with all the conveniences needed in place.

Check-in was fast as I had all papers ready, including booking confirmation and a photocopy of my passport.

The room has surprised me with its size - it turned out much smaller than I expected. It was clean though, and pretty light. If it weren’t for its size I could have called it rather comfortable. And the room view over Mediterranean Sea was absolutely stunning!

Poor sleep quality was the main downside. The bed was too hard, and I could equally sleep on the floor for that stiffness. The blanket was suffocatingly hot, so I did better without one, which was not too comfortable. I don’t like to sleep with AC on, while with terrible traffic noise outside it was impossible to leave the window open.

Electric sockets’ deficiency was another huge drawback. I succeeded to find only two of them, with the fridge plugged into one. I had to move the heavy table and to unplug the fridge to get access to the socket. And I still lacked them for all the gadgets I needed to charge daily.

Bathroom was new and clean and very nicely decorated. But the shower was a total disaster - the cap rotated randomly at its own will, and I failed to ever adjust it.

Surprisingly, at this rate breakfast was not included and had to be paid for separately (EUR 7 per person per day). And it was rather average, but sufficient.

Reception staff was helpful, but not quite knowledgeable. There was a feast during my stay, and another guest asked if the sites were going to be open and received a negative response, which was not the case.

The hotel looks fine for a business stay, but if you are in Alex for the short and busy sightseeing trip, this is hardly your best choice.

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Cora_v
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We stayed here for one night while on the GAP Adventures Egypt Explorer tour. We stayed at 4 hotels in Cairo, Alex, Aswan and Luxor during our trip and the room here was easily the best - the room was recently refurbished and had a sea view. Ask for a room on as high a floor as possible as the traffic in Alex is terrible with the road noise continuing non stop until after 4 in the morning - in Egypt drivers constantly use their car horn to let other know where they are so expect it to be noisy!

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Sharkmad8
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Not sure about the lackluster reviews lately - we had nothing but a positive experience here. We arrived early in the morning, and left late the next day, and both times the front desk was happy to look after our luggage. We didn't spend much time in the hotel, since there is plenty to see and do in Alexandria... but we were only there for two days (one night!). Was a great place to stay - expect a taxi cab fee of around 30LE from the train station to the hotel, and probably cheaper on the way back to the train station.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank karmelapple
Maryland
Reviewed March 15, 2010

The front desk staff was very nice and the view from the deck was great to look out at the Med. Other than that it was not a 4 star hotel. It was very old and out dated. It was right on a main highway and had way too many cars blowing their horns until 11:00 at night. It was very loud within the room because of the trafic.

It was not in walking distance from any of the sites so I needed to rent a car and driver for the day to see any of the sites. It was close to the 1st Alexandria train stop so if you use this hotel and the train take the first stop.

The cleaning services was not very good. I had used a mug to have tea one morning and they didn't even wash out the cup. They just left it sitting on the tray. I even ran out of toilet paper and they did not have an extra roll in the room. The bed was also very lumpy and hard.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is use to 4 star hotels in the states. I would say it was closer to a one or two star in the states.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank StewartMD
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I was very disappointed with this stay. I started when I pulled up at the front door, they had no intention of assisting me to get off the busy Corniche by pulling the security pipes so I can access the front of the hotel, check in was a 20 minute event and I was the only one at the desk. Typical Egyptian style, 4 people working, all talking and laughiing, but no one working. When I finsihed check in, I had to ask for someone to get my bags "Oh you have bags?" No I am staying 2 days with just the clothes on my back. Then I had to go park....this was another adventure, you go past the hotel take a right, go back in the neighborhood 3 blocks, take another right and then try to find the back door of the hotel and if another car is coming, you are screwed, it is an Egyptian stand-off, cars are parked on both sides of the very narrow street and only room for your car, not 2 or one coming the other way out of the parking area for the hotel.
The rate was 1000 LE for a suite approx 200USD, it was a joke, it was the smallest room I have ever seen, it would have been small for a standard room ( see pic 60627) atached you can see the wall behind the bed and in front of the bed in the same picture, what they did was take a small standard room, build a wall to make 2 rooms and call it a suite. The room was not clean, it was obvious ithad not been vacuumed before I walked into it, the building is old and not maintained at all. I think all the maid did on the first day was empty the trash and put the bed back together. I left a spoon on the table I used to stir my coffee and it was still there unwashed when I returned and so were the crumbs I got on the rug. The tea pot did not work, so I had them bring me another one, it didn't work either, then the third one worked.. breakfast was very basic, more sweets than anything else, I ordered an omlette, it wa slike nothing I had ever seen before, not even flipped over or rolled, just a flat egg with vegetables.
it is not that the service was poor......it was NON EXISTENT~~!!
If you plan on sleeping at all......this is not the place for you, it directly on the Corniche and 8 to 10 lanes of traffic and if you have ever been in Egypt ( I live here and have for 18 months) Egyptians cannot drive 25 meters without blowing the horn 5 times, so you will listen to incessant horn blowing and sirens all nigth long.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple