“Best Location, Affordable prices”
Review of New Capri Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alexandria
New Capri Hotel
Ranked #9 of 21 Alexandria B&B and Inns
Cairo, Egypt
“Best Location, Affordable prices”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

New Capri Hotel is a 2-star hotel, located in Mehatet Elraml, Alexandria.
Prices are very cheap, yet rooms are very spacious, clean & have a beautiful sea-view.
In the middle of the action, few minutes from Trianon, Attarine Antiques area & Bibliotheca Alexandrina :)
Staff is very friendly and helpful. The Lobby/restaurant is oriental styled.
I'll definitely come again.. Highly recommend, if you are a practical traveler who wouldn't mind a basic room ( but very clean though) & in the heart of Alex :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mado_Haddad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Hotel is spelt New Capry - but for some reason, it's New Capri on tripadvisor.

The staff are amazing at the hotel - most of the staff do not speak English, and of the two receptionists that do speak English, their language English skills are very poor. Most guests staying at the hotel are Egyptians or from another Middle Eastern country; and having stayed there for three weeks, I only saw perhaps a handful of Western guests. This is probably why the staff don't speak English. But they are nonetheless very helpful and friendly. If you want your room cleaned, you'll need to ask.

The breakfast is always good - you can ask for tea/coffee (Nescafe) and an omelette which is part of the free breakfast.

The hotel's restaurant is nicely decorated with the sea view, and the food is not bad either.

Room Tip: Don't bother with sea view rooms at this hotel - the actual building is far from the sea, so eve...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Spiritsofar
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I agree with a lot of what elmasgrande has written except that we did not have a particularly nice room (we were placed in 301 to start with and then moved to 302). Both rooms had a shower where, frankly, I could have wee-ed quicker (!) although it was hot, hot enough to make tea in fact. The door to the balcony did not fit in the frame so we had a lot of street noise coming in. Staff were a mixture of indifferent and surly although one of the bedroom 'maids' was very pleasant. Beds were fairly comfortable but not the bricks masquerading as pillows. Breakfast was quite good with a good selection but you will probably go to the Brazilian Coffee House or Delices nearby if you are staying more than a couple of night (Delices is very overrated in my view). BUT at 175 EGP per night, what can one expect? Would I stay again? No, but you are central and it's cheap.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 301 and 302 and ask to see the room first
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I don't know how this hotel got such high ratings. Yes, it's cheap ($23 US for a double with shared bath) and yes there is a nice view. That doesn't make up for the fact that you have to spend the night in a dump.

Shabby rooms, terrible sagging mattresses – you can feel the springs. Lumpy pillows. Floors probably haven't been mopped in ages. Shared bathroom has black mold all over the ceiling and walls (see photos) and the shower floor hadn't been cleaned (lumps of hair on it). Constant honking all night long, still loud even with the window shut. Our doorknob was half broken and there was cardboard around it to keep it in the door.

The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is that they have a working elevator, there aren't any bugs/rodents, and they delivered a decent breakfast to our room (a plate of cheese, meat, spreads and fresh rolls, with big glasses of juice) since we were leaving for our flight before the buffet breakfast started.

We wish we'd listened to all the taxi drivers who tried to tell us to go somewhere nicer. Honestly, one of the worst budget hotels we stayed at in Africa.

Room Tip: Make sure to see the room you are getting and to see the bathroom you'll be using... some shared...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Washington DC
Reviewed November 9, 2011

If you don't mind staying at a horrible building, this hotel is located at the main square of Alexandria and you can get a spectacular view for USD 23 approx.

Staff can be a little rude at the beginning (after the 2nd day it gets better) and their English is generally poor. Rooms vary a lot: I was changed from the 104 to 208 and they differ considerably. 208 was more "hotel-room-like" while the one on the eigth floor (where the reception is) was considerably bigger, with a better view, but older and not renovated.

So, if you're traveling on a budget, this hotel is a pretty good choice.

Room Tip: ask for a view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank elmasgrande
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My base of comparison, to start with, is that I eagerly stay in as good hotels as I can afford at any point of time, and have also traveled a lot on company expenses, staying or dining at some very good world-class hotels around the world. I live in Egypt now and hotels here are sometimes the only easy escape to European way of outdoor comfort – to swimming pools and sunbathing in bikinis. So I sample eagerly and often, but depending on the budget at the specific time point. In general - try to get the best for the money I want to spend.

As is the case with Alexandria, it seems to offer pretty standard-style 5* hotels from international chains, and in Alex for some reason they are even more expensive than elsewhere, while the city is full of most fascinating little hostels on one or two floors of old-world apartment building, that cost nearly nothing and charm you with high ceilings, elaborate balconies and the wooden ribs that protect rooms from sun and produce a very charming light inside. A lot of those are concentrated somewhere around or between the two main squares – the Saad Zaghloul and the Orabi square. So I mostly only go for these at least for short trips to Alex.

We usually try to go to Alexandria every year before the summer season in June hits in. To eat fish, walk by Corniche, admire the sea view and remember the good old times when we had just met and spent a whole three weeks here. So I mainly wanted a nice hostel with the best sea view I can find (I was born by sea and love sea), but I did not want the LP-praised Crillon or Union, that are both getting a bit old without noticeable improvements in style and also Crillon is a bit too low above the street, thus noisy. While both are popular so also a bit overpriced for their level. I know a good few hostels around Orabi (Marhaba, Holiday Hotel etc.) that all have certain charm, but not all have en-suite bathrooms and all have a rather sideways sea view from quite deep inside the square. Winter Palace by Corniche was out of budget this time, though they do have a most fascinating roof terrace with breakfast restaurant and cafe there, so worth trying.

But this time I looked to stay somewhere around Zaghloul instead and narrowed down to 2 hostels – the Transit and the New Capri. New Capri won, because it is on the upper floors of the highest building around Zaghloul square, that seemed to guarantee at least some sea view. And it is the only one at that level that does brekfast "buffet" style – the rest all usually offer a combination of bread butter cheese jam eggs and coffee/tea simply. The breakfast room, too, seemed to offer (perhaps) a sea view, or at least looked roomy and with large windows. Transit btw is in the next building, immediately beside the Cecil.

In short, we loved the hotel. It is not my usual preferred kind – not an old building with ceilings 3 meters high (THAT you will get in Transit). But it surprised us with I think freshly renovated rooms on their 3rd level, that gave an immaculate feeling, and indeed super views across the Zaghloul square to the sea.

Renovation seemed to be ongoing on lower levels beginning of May 2011 so I suppose it will be an extra nice choice for the rest of the year now. But Floor 3 was already totally covered with sandstone-colored ceramics, and our room, 306 I think, though the room itself was regular small – a big bed with some room to move around it, 2 bedside tables, 2 chairs, a mirror, a tv and a fridge under it, had a generously sized balcony, a small entrance hall w wardrobe, and a bathroom with bath that itself was I think at least 10 sqm. So it felt almost like suite. We took the 2 chairs and a commode out to the balcony immediately and spent most of indoor time sitting there and taking in the views. The hostel-hotel even has room service, btw, but we did not use it.

The same level 3 also has a communal terrace to the other side (opens from general corridor), from where you get perfect views to sunset over Ras el Tin and to the Quait Beyt, over the roof of the Sofitel Cecil that is in the next building but one. Would the hotel be smart enough to furnish that terrace with sunbeds or loungers, it would make a perfect spot where to enjoy a tea or drinks and have some group chat or take in the views simply. The restaurant is 2 levels lower but has quite similar views, albeit with less of sea visible.

Floors were clean, bedclothes were clean and nothing special but adequate, towels were 2 small one to each of us and no they did not have bath towels but you never get them in hostels anyway. There were some wrapped soaps and shampoos in foil packaging in the bathroom. Floors were clean but the tap was not polished, if you are nitty-picky for the price. The fridge had not been used, obviously there is no season at all in Alex in winter, so it was clean to the eye but smelly. A nice elderly lady stopped us on the steps down and inquired how we were, and hearing about smell, demanded categorically that we return to the room, and came with some sort of cleaning cloth and liquid and wiped the fridge immediately so it was totally OK after that. Even we did not think it was so necessary at that point but she seemed genuinely aggravated : -).

The breakfast was as you can see from rest of photos here: a choice of breakfast buns or a croissant, that you could warm yourself in the small oven by the side. Croissants in Alex melt in your mouth especially after slight heating. The rest was one kind of ham, two kinds of fresh cheese, butter, jam and honey in standard hotel packaging, tomatoes, cucumbers and a kind of mixed salad that looked Egyptian (I did not try). Boiled eggs, and some guests ordered omelettes instead. Orange juice made from concentrate, not too bad though if you are thirsty. Coffee was Nescafe, drinkable kind, though I am selective of my coffee then in draught I drink what is available : -).

The waiter did not look very enthusiastic – their life in Alex is not so easy with so few guests over the winter, but what we asked for he brought quite eagerly. Juice came in almost vase-like tall glasses and coffee/tea came in cups not in pots, but the size was also generous. Only around 5-6 other guests were breakfasting, all were married kind of Egyptian men, lower-middle class I presume (some were in galabeyas), but definitely not rowdy workers or something - all modestly behaving and in Alex seemingly for some kind of business.

There are a couple of LCD screen internet computers at the corner of the breakfast room/lounge, seemingly free to use.

A local version of Starbucks is just around the corner from the hotel, not more than 30 meters away. Local shop for alcohol is on a parallel street towards Corniche, perhaps 50 meters away. Shopping streets, main bits, start from here and continue towards Orabi or the railway station. Restaurants are all around – fast food, secret cheap local restaurants in small alleyways, and the famous Delices next door by the square has both a coffee room and a verandah kind of restaurant with French/Italian cuisine. With alcohol rights, too. Cecil of course has a couple of more expensive ones. Some popular expat hang-outs are in the streets around, within couple of hundreds of meters.

The room cost us 150-something EGP I think, it is the price for residents and locals, taking account of local salaries, but I´ve heard you can bargain down to it anyway, depending of the situation when you are there. For that price I think this combination of a hotel-hostel did indeed very well, as all better ones already come at the level of around 500 egp. I would especially recommend for couples who want at least a bit of more privacy, or traveling ladies who are sensitive to unrenovated conditions – thanks to the ceramics it does have a clean and orderly feeling about it. And of course the views from rooms, but look at the photos. 301-305 seemed to have no private bathroom but share a communal one on the corridor, but otherwise these are with views straight out towards the sea and the Corniche. 304 I think is what we had, with slightly roomier feeling and a generous bathroom, and seaview let's say 45 grades to the left, we did not have to wring the necks for it when sitting on balcony. The room beside us, probably 305 then, had a less direct sea view (sea view if stick face over the railing), but a very roomy balcony itself the size of our bathroom, and 2 huge lounger type of chairs.

Speaking of privacy – we did have a 2 cm gap between the bottom of the room door and the floor, so technically we could hear everyone coming or going. But there is only one more room in that bit of corridor, and what I think is the owners' apartment : -). Noise from street was not problem when we closed the door to the balcony, and ceased at around 01.00. Might be a problem for those who are accustomed to total quiet, but then this part of Alexandria around these kind of hostels simply is very busy. One would have to choose something more expensive, farther away or higher over the Corniche then, I suppose. We were what counts as 10th floor I think, the reception is on the 8th floor, the elevator takes you to the 7th floor and from there it is a flight of steps up.

The "lift boy" is a whole individual story, dressed in a classic red bellboy attire, in his 70ies if not 80ies I think, and with a most wonderful Santa Clause smile when he reaches up to mumble in his already broken voice: SO nice to see you. And, when you go down the following morning: SO nice to see you AGAIN! I do believe he makes a good earning there – we certainly could not hold back tips for such charming welcome :D. And could not hold back big grins (behind his back).

I am too curious perhaps for staying in one place twice, but I did not find anything that would discourage me from staying, either. The sun terrace, even – wish they would get those loungers!

Room Tip: No. 305 or 306, ask for Zaghloul view or seaview
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Innovatsioon
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 6, 2011

This hotel is a bit old, but with clean and big rooms. Our room had a balcony with sea view. Breakfast buffet was very good en tastful. Internet is for free, no wifi. The hotel is located above the tourist information, a very central location. The staff was ok. We bargained the price down to 145 EP for a double incl breakfast. Very good value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple