Marina Regia Residence
Hotel Arion(Constanta)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Megalos(Constanta)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsblack sea coastcolonial clubhotel arenaprivate beachindoor poolmeal timesnice balconyenjoyed my stayself servicerooms are largeimperiaspaprivacyromaniasummershieldrelaxation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I researched a LOT of places up and down the Romanian Black Sea coast. We are more outdoor/nature/mountain adventurer types so when we visited Romania, the majority of our time was spent in Transylvania, but we did want to see the Black Sea coast and find a place that was comfortable, well-appointed, and not right in the middle of all of the tourist trap craze that spans much of the Constanța area. With the Arena Regia, the only way to really review the places is by drawing up a list of pros and cons, because there really is no middle ground. It's all black and white, good and bad, day and night.

The pros:

- BEAUTIFULLY furnished and immaculately landscaped. Wandering through the halls feels like exploring some private castle in Spain or the Caribbean. Very tasteful décor. I like the dark wood, the polished marble, the whole "seaside" ambience in a very elegant way.

- The private beach is beyond wonderful. It's a quick walk through the complex from the Arena Regia 5* hotel to the beach. No hassles, really. You pick a couple of lounge chairs under an umbrella, and a cabana guy comes along to set it up for you. The beach is uncrowded (obviously, since it's private!) and you can enjoy a swim in the Black Sea. Really nice. We were impressed.

- Parking is easy and efficient. Only about a quarter of the parking spots were occupied when we were there (which seems to be the norm, after reading other reviews)

- This really is THE place to stay on the Black Sea coast in the Constanța area if you want a nice place which is up to Western European / North American standards. Trust me. I not only did my research beforehand, but I looked when we went driving up and down the main street. The other places in Mamaia are mostly dives. Cheap, crowded, noisy, touristy places. If you want a nice - and exclusive - and quiet - experience at the Black Sea coast, then this is the place to stay.

But with that being said, the cons:

- Customer service is severely lacking. Upon check-in, you are presented with a two-page list of rules which is extremely off-putting, especially for the amount of money this place charges for their rooms. I have stayed in many places both more expensive - and less expensive - which were all respectable and never actually handed a huge printed list of rules to customers upon check-in. They are extremely obsessed with their towels and warn you right away what will happen if you steal them or lose them or leave them at the beach. Really?? For the amount of money charged per night for a superior room, the average riffraff is not going to be staying here. The parking lot is filled (well, for the parking spaces that are occupied, anyway, which again are only a few) with high-end, newer model cars. Not the type of people who are going to steal towels.

- Hallways and common areas are not well-lit during the day, and only dimly-lit at night. Probably an energy-saving feature, but be that as it may, it can be a bit daunting. It didn't really bother me too much, though the lights are dim enough to the point where it is hard to make out the room numbers on the doors, even in the middle of the day.

- The pools close early. We were SHOCKED to discover that the outdoor infinity pool closes at 6:00 PM. That is absolutely unheard of, especially in a 5-star place. Pools are where people usually hang out in the evening. Mindful of the beach closing at 8:00 pm, we went to the beach first, then had dinner (at the Colonial Bar, by far the best customer service of the whole place) and afterwards expected to relax in the pool at sunset. Wrong! The pool was closed.

- The Romeo & Juliet restaurant (though both restaurants are somewhat formal, Romeo & Juliet appears to be the less format of the two) ALSO closes at 6:00 PM. What the heck?! I was dumbfounded by that. How can a restaurant that has a dinner menu close at SIX PM?? But it does, and that's the rule, with no apology whatsoever. Very odd, again given the 5-star nomination and the price you pay to stay here. (I reference the price a lot; but that is because, in my opinion, you really don't get what you pay for here.)

- The shower is claustrophobic (smaller than a phone booth) and there is no bathtub. I can live with that, but it's still annoying.

- Check-out is INSULTING because they actually don't let you check out until they have a maid go in the room (who is waiting right outside the door, practically) to *count* the number of towels, washcloths, hand towels and beach towels in the room before you are allowed to check out and leave. Again - in a five-stay hotel, and for the amount of money paid - this is just flat-out insulting. If they want to make that their rule, fine, but having to inform the guest of it while they are standing there waiting to check out? I've stayed at places of a much higher caliber and there is none of that nonsense.

And finally, because this is a con as well as a pro, this is the best place to stay in Constanța/Mamaia Black Sea coast area.

Despite the warnings on the hotel website to book early in the year because the place is completely filled in the summertime, it was eerily empty. One group eating at the table in the mezzanine in the "fancy restaurant". We counted only four of five hotel rooms, besides our own, that actually had lights on in the evening. Nobody came in, nobody went out.

If we went back to the Black Sea coast, would we stay here? The answer is yes, because it really is the only decent place to stay. And we greatly enjoyed the beach. And our dinner at the Colonial Bar was superb!! But the hotel's hours of operation are ridiculous and the list of rules are frankly insulting. I understand that they must have had a lot of problems with the towels, but that still doesn't make it acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jlmr417
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've been spending my holidays with the family here at the Arena Regia Hotel every year since it opened and we had an amazing time every time we came back. The rooms are very clean, spacious and luxurious with a nice balcony where you can admire either the resort, the sea or the interior courtyard. We have also tried the Spa of the hotel and I have to say it is the most beautiful Spa I have ever been to. Everything here is luxurious. I was really impressed by the saunas and swimming pool. Infinity pool next to Romeo&Juliet restaurant is also nice. Breakfast was good with a variety of different foods. I like the fact that the half board lunch menu was different from day to day. Please also try the Colonial Restaurat. We had dinner there nearly every evening of our stay. They have fresh fish from the Black Sea which was delicious. The waiters there are real professionals taking care of us and especially our kids. We liked the fact that the resort was safe for children to play as well. We went for walks and bike rides within the resort without having to worry about lots of cars passing by. The beach is very clean and spacious (not like in most parts of Mamaia where you feel like suffocating) and the Black Sea has been really warm and clean this year. There are also a few playgrounds on the beach. All in all the resort is a great place to spend your holiday, in my opinion the best place on the Romanian Black Sea Coast.

Room Tip: Deluxe Family rooms are spacious and comfortable and I have heard from friends that the Marakesh Suite is fantastic !
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gherasim
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have been in this location for work and I was impressed with the accommodation of the services offered by this hotel and the satisfaction of staying here. I had the opportunity to go to various locations in Europe and I'm glad to see that in Romania can make high-level quality services. I had the opportunity to go and in the conference room where everything was as expected. Two pools were very clean yard with a great view to the villas in the complex. Nice everything offered this residential complex.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank kostelbucur
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I usually don't write bad reviews, but this hotel really disappointed me. It is a pitty how such a beautiful boutique hotel is forced to lodge dissatisfied customers due to bad/ inexistent/ careless management.
We reserved a double room in June at the 4 stars hotel in the resort. Price was advertised as 100 EUR/ night for a superior double room on booking, however after confirmation I was informed by the hotel that for our 3.5 years old son we have to pay also 25 EUR as breakfast supplement, so in the end the final price was 125 EUR/ night and yes, for this price I had high expectations and yes, on paying this price I hoped foolishly that people writing the reviews on Trip Advisor are much to peaky and I will enjoy wonderful holidays at the seaside.
We arrived on Friday at 11 o'clock. One parking place in the parking area was occupied and we did not meet anyone in the hotel but the reception staff, so I assume there were not too many people in the hotel at that hour. After greetings, I was informed politely that the check-in is at 4 o'clock and that I would have to pay 50% of the room if I would like to check in at that hour. I checked my e-mails and indeed this I was been informed on this, so we went on the beach. At 4 o'clock we returned and I was informed something that I was unfortunately not been informed in advance as I think it would have been normal: that I have to pay in advance the whole stay! Which I did after cursing myself and my ideas to spend the holidays on the Romanian seaside.
And this was just the beginning..what we experienced in Arcadia Hotel was a schizoid mix between luxury design and terrible services.
First the breakfast - I don't think I have eaten worse in any other place I've been so far. And when I say bad I don't mean the breakfast was uneatable, however it did not pass a (maximum) 3 stars hotel level. First, it was the same every day and it did not distiguish itself in any way, nor by reachness/ diversity, nor by inventivity of the cook and nor by freshness. 3 kinds of cheeses, 4 meats, same hot dishes (bacon, sausages, beans and eggs), yoghurt, butter, some pastries and fruits (part of them fresh), 2 kinds of olives and vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers). This if you were lucky because of course that at 10 o'clock you did hardly find half of the above mentioned food or you could face the situation that the waiter came to you advising you to take more ananas or oranges from the plate, since.."there is no other left in the kitchen"
The very fun part of the breakfast was in the last days where they put near the food explanations in Romanian and English which did only partially fit the reality, for instance it was written goat's and sheep cheese, emmentaler, cheddar, brie, cammembert but in reality you had only sheep chease and smoked cheese. So, most probably the hotel has witnessed also better times..
At breakfast they served only brewed American coffee for free, cappuccino or any other kind of coffee (latte, espresso) had to be paid. Same for fresh juices.
The only concearn of the waiters in the morning was to find out the room you stay in, I hardly remember one greeting or wanting to be of help. I just couldn't help compare with similar boutique hotels in the Greek islands where after 2 days the waiters knew everyone by name and were interested about how you enjoyed every moment of your holidays and not about the room number..
Regarding the cleaning, it was the first hotel ever where we had to request expressely every morning if we wanted someone to clean the room.
The food in the Colony restaurant was average quality at expensive prices. Menu very well written, however very far from the reality. In the first day we ordered borsh pescaresc (fish soup) which is a very distinct type of soup, with a special flavour. What we got instead was a vegetable soup with some traces of fish inside at the special price of 17 RON. Shameful!
In some of the days the waiters advised us not to order fish as it was not fresh. Instead we were offered maroccan plate with lamb. On the sea shore!! What a bad joke! On the day they received fresh fish we ordered oven cooked butt and grilled grey mullet. At dinner we wanted to order again mullet but the waiter told us that he can offer only one portion as they already finished it. I wondered how many fishes did they bring in the kitchen that day? 3? 4?
I would like to thank however the waiters as they were honest enough to advise if the food was fresh or not, especially as we were there with our child. They were also very polite, however they were not able to please us too many times since the food was so nothing special..
Most of them did not have any idea on the wines on the menu list, most probably beuase at 300-400% margins they did not have too many consumers.
On the desserts we ordered only ice, which was ok and a tiramisu which was tasteless at the price of 25 RON/portion.
Altough most of the people in the hotel had small children they did not have any playground facilities for kids.
Bottom line: the hotel has a fabulous design ( I guess it's the first hotel where the photos on the site really reflect the reality), the private beach is nice and respects the privacy of the customers (sun umbrellas are put in a nice distance one from each other), the outside infinity pool of the 5 stars hotel is remarkable (we spent there 1 morning all alone, as nobody else joined us), everything is so beautiful that it almost breaks your heart to see how a good lodging opportunity in Romania is wasted by the greediness of the owner who most probably wants to recover his investment back as soon as possible if not this year already, by the lack of hospitality skills of the hotel manager and by the incapability to understand that good services make the difference for the customer.
Yes it's expensive, both in style and price, but oh, it's so cheap in terms of services and customer care. I liked it so much for the design, however I doubt that I would come back again or recommend it to some of my friends.

PS the ultimate was the customer satisfaction survey they had at the reception and which I requested to fill at departure in which I was told in the beginning that the management of the hotel thanks me, the customer, for choosing to spend such "unique" experience at their place. To be honest, I doubt that someone will take the comments into consideration, as it seems like they are really convinced that everything is outstanding at their property.

Room Tip: the rooms are not the problem in this hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
18  Thank Dana78
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from our stay at the Marina Regia and it was amazing. We actually had our wedding there at the end of May and the staff was incredibly helpful to each one of our guests. The staff went above and beyond what was needed and we did not get a single complaint or issue from anyone. The pool/spa was in great shape, the food was great, everyone was so friendly and the entire hotel was very clean. We highly recommend this hotel. The one single drawback was it was a bit away from downtown Mamia, but not a reason not to stay there.

Room Tip: The suites are amazingly nice and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple