“un loc de stat o noapte”
Review of Hotel Balada Nej

Hotel Balada Nej
Ranked #81 of 96 Hotels in Constanta
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The "four stars" shown on entrance are in fact about three stars. the internet it's totally missing, the restaurant it's very poor, even the owner is "master chef" he know where (in which end of land).
Per total : it's ok for one night for business , but not for more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank stoian74
There are newer reviews for Hotel Balada Nej

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel proved to be a total disappointment. We stayed there before a couple of times but it was never as bad as this time. The staff were careless and inefficient, they simply didn`t care about our well-being.
The room was not clean and you could see hairs and left-overs all over the floor. The wallpaper was torn in some places. The telephone didn`t work. The TV remote control was out of batteries. And, on top of it, water was dripping from the ceilling, thing that we discovered when we went to bed (the sheets were wet).
At breakfast time we had another unfortunate experience. The girl at the reception took our order but she was ignorant of what the menu contained, motivating that it was her first day there. It took too long to have the coffee made as if it was rocket science. There were no napkins or glasses on the table, just leftovers.
The wi-fi was not working and the air conditioning was noisy and it worked really slow.
It was awfull!
We are sorry to see that the hotel is becoming derelict and the people working there just don`t care.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SLClaudio
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Balada Nej for three nights. Our room was not cleaned on any of the days and towels replaced only on request. We had breakfast included, which means you order your choice of food from the menu, however in order to choose you need to wait rather long for waitress to take order and you food arrives at slow peace as well. On one occasion when we wanted to ask something at the reception we were totally ignored as receptionist didn't speak English, she didn't even try to communicate just walked away. On other occasion I was ordering the taxi at the reception and as I was making sure that I was being well understood I was sarcastically smiled on for my efforts. It is supposed to be four star hotel but staff behaviour is certainly not! The hotel is not near Constanta city centre or beach, however there are buses running there outside the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna N
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was really awkward. Stuffed dead animals everywhere, but luckily not in the rooms. If you like them, ok. otherwise you might feel a bit strange walking around dears, foxes and eagles. A part from that, rooms were clean, with a kind of (fake) ancient style equipment (phone, bathtub...). Staff was just not helpful nor very polite. I can understand that nobody spoke English. This is not a problem, but you can still try to make an effort and be kind. It was not the case there. Also wifi was not working even if it was supposed to. For the very cheap price, it can be ok to spend 1 night there, but definitely not more than that.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When one arrives in the dark, like me, one is easily impressed when entering the reception hall and seeming to have gone back in time. The hotel interior gives the impression of an ancient Romanian castle in Transsylvania. The room has the same athmosphere. Stylish, surprising.

But when you walk out the next morning, the hotel appears to be the lowest two floors of one of the many depressing mass building blocks in Constanta, thanks to the modernism Ceaucescu wanted to give to the people. The buildings, including the Balada Nej, look like they can collaps any moment. In fact my balcony was falling apart already , with large pieces of concrete obviously fallen down from above, and cracks in the floor that didn't make me feel comfortable standing on it.

The hotel owner - who ignores the guests completely when he is there - appears to be chairman of some European culinary club. According to the quality of food of his own hotel restaurant I wouldn't eat in any of that club member's restaurant. Whatever meat you order, they will probably serve porc anyway. And when they serve it, it's probably cold.

The staff is nice, the live music excellent, but you have to love those (which I did). The quality of food however is very poor and has no relation whatsoever with any culinary standard or the price you are charged.

Some staff told me that the chef is not there in the spring and that the problem is the replacement, but then they should change menu's and prices when the chef is not in. There are far better hotels in Constanta and many better restaurants. The only justification for the expensive rates is the almost fairy tale interior. But that is simply far from enough.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Raimond H
Reviewed July 24, 2011

It is a nice place to admit, but I found it gloomy. The hotel is full of medival images and pictures; and some stuffed animal. The room was, however, cute but not very practical. The bed was huge and we thought it was a king size as we chose a "Royal Room", yet not exactly! It was huge because it was the combination of two single sized beds. We could not sleep well because of the wood between two beds. The bathroom was cute and clean. The location of the hotel is also OK, but a bit far from the downtown. The staff was friendly and they helped us a lot. About the sleep quality, I can say that it is located on a very busy street and it took time to fall into a sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melikes
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed 3 nights over a weekend in Balada Nej and I am absolutely delighted to share my experience.
The hotel is easily reachable, within 10 mins walking distance of the old centre of Constanta and 10 mins by car from Mamaia and its resorts.
It has a parking facility, right in front of the hotel, with a guard 24/7.
Although it is right at the intersection of 2 big boulevards, it is very quiet with double-glazing in the room I had (and I assume others would have that feature too).
Rooms are spacious and decorated like in a 50's movie with old fashion bath, telephone, mirrors etc. Really charming!
Although I didn't try it, the restaurant itself has an excellent reputation with a multi award-winning Chef.
Staff is smiling and helpful. Special thanks to Marina.
I am not looking further for my next stay in Constanta: I'll be staying at Balada Nej and I hope many more travellers will too!

Room Tip: High standards in all rooms
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo