“great location but needs some updating”
Review of Hotel Palace

Hotel Palace
Ranked #31 of 96 Hotels in Constanta
Port Dover, Canada
“great location but needs some updating”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were given an upgrade to a partial river view after front desk staff insulted us by implying that we would leave without paying. After trying to pay with credit card , terminal did not work so my husband said jokingly -I guess its free and was told I would have to pay cash before getting room in case we skipped out. I had to convince my husband to stay. We decided to stay after we received an apology
The good-large room, great location with good view , great breakfast, beautiful large pool with spa which were very clean
The bad-carpets quite dirty with stains, very hard uncomfortable beds, pilllows also very hard, balcony dirty

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jacqueline1947

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

+ location, architecture, sea view, breakfast - old and smelly furniture/rooms/lobby. At the reception, more attention to details, they asked for more money than I had to pay according to the reservation ticket - 10% more...

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Anca I
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This property by no means has current day palatial presence, but it is indeed a lovely place in an "Old Europe" part of Constanta. The area, which I adore, is undergoing massive construction - beware of torn up streets and confusing navigation with closed roads. I rented a group of rooms for a team retreat last year and returned this year because of my positive experience. The rooms are very simple, but have stunning views of Tomis Harbor below. A short walk down to the water reveals a little boardwalk/promenade of over a dozen restaurants with a beach area just beyond that. It is waterfront but not beachfront. It is close walk to downtown to shops as well - overall a great location. The rooms we rented varied, each unique with special touches. Its all about the view. The outdoor terrace directly overlooking Tomis Harbor on the back of the property is more formal and is lovely but beware that smoking is allowed (typical in Constanta). The side patio has a more casual atmosphere and has delicious pizza. Also, the greek restaurant across the street is fantastic and has live music some nights. There is also a mini grocery store steps away.

Room Tip: Make sure you have an ocean view and ask for one directly over the harbor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My colleague and i were coming from Bulgaria and decided to stop by Constanta for 2nights before heading to Bucharest. We chose this hotel cuz it was cheap and we knew that we weren;t gonna spend much time in the room.
When we alighted from the cab, we were welcomed by this old and huge looking building. And coming from Singapore where sky scrappers are everywhere in sight, this was a rather refreshing and an amusing sight. We checked in at about 11pm odd and the lady at the reception made check-in a breeze for us. Shortly after, we were accompanied to our room by the bell-boy. I must agree that the room looked rather old but it was sufficiently maintained and clean. The room overlooked the sea and we liked it.
Breakfast was very limited but enough. Since breakfast came together with the room for us, there is nothing much to complain.
There are a number of bars and bistros about a minute walk away from our hotel. We enjoyed their cuisines and drinks.
We loved the view from the hotel and the surrounding scenes. We spent some time at the bar in the lobby
We din't get anything less what we paid and thus we were rather contended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Deen_Singapore
Bucharest
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I know this hotel very well, I've lived in Romania for the last 7 years, and I always find myslelf coming back to it. It does have it's problems, principally, small rooms, lack of matrimonial beds, lack of power points, awkward bathrooms, but for value it's excellent. Great location with great views over the marina from the restuarant terrace. Restuarant food is ok, now serving a free brunch on weekends, while I was there they gave me a 10% discount off my accomodation and a free 2 hour boat cruise - you find that in many hotels. Staff are freindly and helpful. The marina nearby is great for bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a real double bed, ask does the room have a real matromnial bed, not 2 twi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked this hotel cause it was my last option for a weekend , everything else was booked so I chosen this one for two nights, after we checked in some cockroaches welcomed us in the room , I imidiatly went downstairs to cash my money back and the stuff didn't even bother to say "we apologies for the inconvenience", they just behaved like what just happened was normal, and I've read a review also about the same problem!
The smell in the room was also bad ... Like rusty and very old!
If u can handle that ... I wish u a pleasant stay, LOL

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Zanulive

Travelers are raving about these Constanta hotels

Ploiesti, Romania
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed there for a couple of nights in July. Had to move there from Ibis and at first I had doubts about my choice.

Liked:
- location: very close to main POIs (Casino, marina, beach)
- it has style: interesting design, both inside and outside.
- the terrace: the view is ... WOW!
- the food - grilled chicken & veggies (we were in the middle of the Dukan diet).
- bathroom door: the space between the two layers of glass were filled with sea shells. Nice!
- parking lot available, right next to the hotel.

Didn't like:
- the refigerator in the room was very noisy.
- the AC was not working properly. Didn't start until we put in on 5 C and even then it was barely blowing cool air.
- significant discrepancy between restaurant personnel. Some seemed to be very demotivated and ... lost (as in didn't know what they were supposed to do) while others were very friendly and very accomodating.
- lack of safe box in the room.
- bathroom sink is place in a very uncomfortable position.
- outlets are insufficient and in the wrong places. I had to turn off the refrigerator in order to plug in my laptop.
- lack of shower curtain (by design).
- parking lot: reservation not possible though (it's first come first served), it's guarded only during the night and the pavement is poorly maintained (more like not at all).

Areas of improvement:
- this hotel has a lot of potential. It could be a 4 star if the owner is willing to make some investments. Obviously, someone is trying really hard to make it look classy but probably the resources are insufficient.
- white parquet floor. Oh. no!!! The rooms are already bright.
- the hotel needs more advertising. Also, potential clients might get scared by the opulent looks of the hotel and they could think it's pricy - the owners should probably do something about this.
- the owners should remove the kitschy stuff and get rid of the unprofessional staff (some of them really are). Foreign tourists want to see smiles. Some of the employees don't know how to/dont want to/can't offer that.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room. It's awesome.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xerxes77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Constanta
Hotel Carol
#8 of 96 in Constanta
Ibis Constanta
Ibis Constanta
#3 of 96 in Constanta

Been to Hotel Palace? Share your experiences!