“nice vacation”

Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Constanta
Egypt
“nice vacation”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I been there in august which is HIGH SEASON, but even it was full but staff are friendly and helpful, location is very nice in front of the beach and the walking area full of cafe shops, clubs, and restaurants,
i recommend it to anyone want to visit mamaia in high season.

Room Tip: beach view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
Surrey England
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Staff were very helpful and pleasant and all spoke some English.Rooms very simple and basic and the air conditioning worked well, the shower was excellent, beds very firm.Views over the sea. However it was more like a 2 star over here and very noisy at night, lots of loud music playing till the early hours, would I go again? No!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The place is clean and location is nice. It was exactly what I expected and nothing more. Overall the stay was ok.

• Stayed August 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Golden Tulip has added a great touch to my stay at Mamaia, Constanta.
The staff are very friendly and always helping 24/7 with a real heart and soul.
Rooms are clean, sea view is very impressive and in the heart of Mamaia.

I have seen other hotels in the same area but I can't see myself visiting any of them if I ever go back to that part of the world.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank SamehSabry
Craiova
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband, I and our 6 years old daughter just returned from our trip at the sea, after a 4 nights stay at the Golden Tulip in Mamaia. The hotel has a good location, at a 30 minutes walk from the center of the resort, which we find very busy and noisy. It is directly on the beach, which was, though, a big disadvantage in our last 2 days there, as the huge amount of algae in the sea water started to smell due to the heat and the smell would fill our apartment as we opened the balcony doors. The entire resort had this problem with algae during this season. They only try to clean the shore during the night, but that is not enough, as they keep coming and we almost could not enjoy a bath in the sea at all. Our daughter was very disappointed and we tried to find seats at the pool, but we only had luck one afternoon.
The rooms are not large enough, but we had two bathrooms, one of which was large, with a bathtub (we had the Master apartment). The staff was ok, especially the young lady who was responsible for the entertainment of the children. My daughter just loved her.
The breakfast variety was good, but the hotel was very crowded during our stay, which made breakfast a noisy experience. The restaurant is very outdated, with old furniture on the terrace. Also, not many dishes to choose from in the "a la carte" menu.
One of the nights, they had a power breakdown in our building and we stayed in the dark for 3 hours in our room and had to endure the heat, as the A/C did not work, of course.
And finally, as we checked out, we had to pay almost 10 Euros for telephone calls WE DID NOT MAKE. They presented us a long list of unknown telephone numbers, probably called by the mades or so, but we did not argue with them anymore, because it would have been useless, I suppose.
Not a very bad stay, afterall, but definitely not 4 stars and not a good value for the money we payed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mihaela_cCraiova
Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed at the Golden Tulip Mamaia for five nights in August 2010. I was wrapping up seven weeks of backpacking in Eastern Europe and needed a little rest before returning home. I found a good promotional rate on the hotel website and ended up paying about fifty-five euros per night including breakfast (discounts were applied based on my day of arrival and the length of stay).

My guidebook said the north end of Mamaia was the more upscale end, and Golden Tulip is safely within that zone. This means things nearby are a little quieter and cleaner, but you're further away from (poor) shopping and restaurant options in "central" Mamaia. A taxi from the Constanta train station to the hotel cost about twenty-five lei on the meter, though I had drivers offer me fares as low as fifteen lei. There are regular busses and minibusses along Mamaia and into Constanta, but they are painfully slow.

The hotel has all the standard services. There is a pool with about fifty sun chairs- if you want to lounge around by the pool you need to be down there at 7:50 am to secure your chair. Don't get irate when you observe people putting their towels on chairs at 8:00 am and then not coming down to the pool until 2:00 pm- it's the culture here (despite signs in the elevator to the contrary). If you miss the free poolside chairs there are hundreds of chairs and umbrellas directly on the beach for 20-30 lei per day (operated by private companies, not the hotel). The pool was clean enough, especially considering that North American rules about children wearing diapers don't seem to apply. There is one free internet terminal in the lobby, but 90% of the time it is occupied by unsupervised children playing video games. There is a bar at the hotel (never, ever busy) and a decent restaurant. The included breakfast buffet was expansive (my standard breakfast was scrambled eggs, yogurt, raw vegetables with cheese and fresh bread) but the staff weren't doing a good enough job to keep the area clean and there were lots of wasps buzzing around at breakfast. The a la carte menu for dinner and lunch featured pretty standard Romanian meat and Italian-inspired pizza and pasta dishes. There were not sufficient vegetarian options.

My room was in the non-beach-front building, on the first floor (Euro-style, in other words the floor above the ground floor). The bathroom was a bit dated (there was a small hole above the shower into what must have been the lighting ducts) but there was usually hot water and the water pressure was good. Every day housekeeping took the top sheet off my bed and replaced it with a freshly-folded one, requiring me to re-make my bed everyday, which was kind of annoying. The only real problem with the room was the fact that there was a row of ants making their way between the patio door and the mini-bar- I didn't bring it to the hotel's attention, however, as I wanted to avoid the use of pesticides in my living space. Oh, when I checked in I noticed the patio door was not locked, and one out of the five days I returned to my room to find the patio door had again been left unlocked by housekeeping. I doubt anyone will scale the wall to break into a room that overlooks the main parking lot, but I do recommend that anyone staying here make sure their patio door is kept locked when they're out of the room. Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that the rooms aren't exactly soundproof, and visiting families seem quite content to let their toddlers run up and down the halls screaming at 6:00 am and 11:30 pm. This happened on more than one day with more than one family, so if you're looking for a good night's sleep it is worth requesting a room at the end of the hall or away from children.

Overall, Golden Tulip Mamaia is probably one of the best choices in the area. There are one or two five-star hotels nearby that do look a little bit nicer, but I can't imagine they're worth paying (at least!) double the rate of the Golden Tulip.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank ComoCarla19
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Even if the hotel has a very good position just near the beach, it has very small rooms, small ugly bathrooms (1m2 on surface with shower cabin only) and bugs (insects) in the room. The walls were son thin that I could hear the room neighbors whispering. In a nutshell, a comunist cheap hotel that has only the name but not the quality of Golden Tulip chain.
The staff was very rude and eratic, way under the 4* standards.
On top of that the hotel has no parking places.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Raluca_M2010

Travelers are raving about these Constanta hotels