“not luxury, but not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hermannstadt Inn

Hermannstadt Inn
Ranked #78 of 116 Sibiu B&B and Inns
Sylvester, Georgia
“not luxury, but not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed at the 2nd location, a 5-minute walk from the Piata Mare ("Large Market") where the Christmas market is located. This location is on a tiny side street on the ground floor of a residential building. The old city wall runs alongside the building. An employee rode with us from the main location, showed us where to park, and gave us easy walking directions to the center. My friends and I rented all 4 rooms and had the place to ourselves. It is old, but fairly clean (the rugs could stand a beating) and quiet. We nearly froze until someone figured out how to turn up the thermostat, but in the managements' defense, I wasn't paying attention when they told us there were extra blankets in the closet. Our rooms had TVs, one had a mini-fridge, and one had a sort of kitchenette (refrigerator and sink, but no stovetop). The bathrooms were clean and obviously recently updated, although one of the shower curtains was ripped and left water all over the floor if you weren't careful. One of the double rooms uses the hall bathroom. All in all, I've stayed in much worse places that were more expensive. For one night in town, it was fine.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colorado, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We spent two nights here at the end of September and first of October (at 105 Lei per night, including breakfast, about $33/night). The manager and desk clerk were very helpful in securing a parking spot for our rental car right across the quiet street. Our room was comfortable and clean, and the breakfast was OK. The Hermannstadt (which means "German City") has an excellent location, close to the train station and the old Saxon town center, which is pedestrian only and has lots of restaurants and cafes. Apart from the endless rain and overcast skies, this was a fine stop, and I would be happy to stay here again. My only complaint is that I do not like the "feather-bed" blankets that all the guesthouses seem to use in this part of the world. It would be nice to at least have the option of thinner blankets. Otherwise, good people here, doing a good job. The staff were all proficient in English.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 4,106 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

This pensione is within 200 metres of Sibiu railway station.

My room 8 was up three steep flights of stairs: in fact, entrance to the place is dangerous as you open the door and are confronted by downward stairs ti reception: an older person could 'go for a sixer!'

The room had two single beds on either side of the attic window. A small TV, two chairs, a table and reasonable bedding were provided along with a bar fridge which to switch on I had to move a table to get to the power point.

The bathroom's dormer window offered a lovely view of next door's old style tiled roof. The curtained shower was small but the water flowed OK.

The owners said they had a private function (for five people!) so I could only have a beer in my room: disconcerting.

I slept well. My tariff of 90 lei did not include breakfast. It was a cheap rate

The hostel is 150 metres from the street corner where the walk up to the great Old Town starts.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Victorianlad
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

Staying at this place was the only thing that made our trip to Sibiu less than ideal. From the moment our group arrived, the person who was travelling solo was given a room that you would not think anyone would ask money for - there were literally less than 50 cm of space between the edges of the beds and each of the 4 walls, which is claustrophobic to say the least. Unluckily for us, we had paid in advance and the owner refused to give us our money back, meaning we had to stay there anyway (he was, though, OK with the fact that we did not accept the "shoebox" room).

The other room (which we kept) wasn't much nicer - although of normal size, there were many things wrong:
- although we had asked for a double, there were two separate beds that weren't even close but in opposite sides of the room
- the water in the shower had very fast burning hot/freezing cold fluctuations, before soon settling on the latter temperature; adding insult to (almost physical) injury, the shower drain was defective and so water spilled out after only 2 minutes spent in the shower
- there must have been bedbugs/spiders in the beds or sheets, because both me and my partner woke up with numerous large insect bites on our legs
- the owner insisted that he keep my passport until the day we left; even though I explained I would need to have my passport with me during our stay, he claimed this is standard hotel procedure to safeguard owners from damages brought to the room (it obviously isn't!)
- a small kitchen was annexed to the room, which would have been useful except for the fact that all the cubbards were empty, there wasn't even a single plate or fork in there

This all comes in the context where this place claims to be a 3 star establishment - I hope you can tell from my review that it is far from being that, and, with so many nice hotels/pensions to choose from in Sibiu, we will clearly NOT be coming back to Pensiunea Hermannstadt, and of course we would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LongTalker

Travelers are raving about these Sibiu hotels