“Modern and Chic”

Graffit Gallery Hotel
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Varna
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Really great hotel stay. The hotel is designed beautifully, the room was spacious, clean, modern and new. The location is perfect, right by the city center and a 10 minute walk (maximum) to the sea garden.
Highly recommended.
Front desk staff and valet were very helpful.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I booked this hotel for a special occasion, our 10th wedding anniversary and couldn't wait to stay here as it looked great, but from start to finish sadly i was to be very disappointed.
Firstly when booking through booking.com the notification said i was to pay the hotel in their currency at the time of the stay but without my knowledge the hotel took my money months in advance straight away.
Upon arriving at the hotel we pulled up outside to ask where the parking was, they looked our car a 4x4 up and down, it wasnt as posh as the other cars outside so they just pointed to a door and we had to find out own way in and out of the garage with a lift, i later noticed other guests with posher cars had their cars parked for them so our car was obviously not up to the standard of guests they wanted.
Reception checked us in quickly but were not friendly or welcoming and we were left to find our own way to the room. The room was small,dull and very buisness like, not at all welcoming. The plus is that the modern tv, speakers, and bathroom looked great but against everything else it was really not where i wanted to spend my wedding anniversary. The lights were some modern contraption which we couldnt work, it took us 10 minutes to switch the bedside light on! There was a posh bath but no bath mat or no complimentry bath creme included with the other toiletries. The windows didnt open in the room so we could get no fresh air as there was not a balcony either and despite the windows not opening it was still a very noisy street full of boy racer cars diving up and down.
My husband had a coffee in the room which was a ridiculous cost for Bulgaria, i agree to paying for the mini bar but to have to pay for tea and coffee was really not right and when we left we were accused of drinking 2 teas which we didnt... Certainly not at. 8lev or a cup of tea!!!
We decide to venture up to the spa, the pool was very small but perfectly nice for a city centre hotel although i was happy we were alone and not with others in such a small space. There were no towels at the spa so we had to go back down to our room to bring the bath towels up.
As a treat my husband wanted to buy me a spa treatment, we rang the spa for bookings but no answer so rang reception, we were told not avaliable today so we asked for the next day, not aaliable then either... Except the spa beautitian/ working was happily sat on her phone and laptop chilling in the room but clearly didnt have time for me!
We decided to venture into the cafe, we ordered 2 drinks, again service with no smile or friendliness, when we came to pay i was shocked that the drinks were 4 times the cost of what we normally pay for the same drinks in Bulgaria. I handed over a note to pay and no change came back, it was only a small amount but thats not the point, i would probably have left that for a tip anyway but the waitress had the cheek to assume she should keep it. I had a reservation for that night and the next to eat at the restaurant but was so angered at the service i cancelled both... This place didnt deserve my money!
We headed back to the room, there is one lift for the whole hotel and we waited at the lift with a bell boy. When the lift arrived he got in and went leaing us to wait, isnt it right to be polite and let guests go first? But then again we were not offered help with our luggage either!
The booklet said they turn down the room for sleeping, our beds were untouched, as were the wet towels we had to use at the pool but they did plonk a chocolate on the bed, hardly a turn down service
A plus point was breakfast, lovely food but only 1 staff member and again unfriendly

If your after a base for buisness and are happy to be ripped off this is perfect for you but for anything else avoid, i will certainly not return

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Unfortunately a lot of the basics that one would expect from a modern hotel like this are missing. Internet connection is poor and not always available, the TV system is not working properly and most of all, the English language skills from the staff are absolutely insufficient - especially when you encounter a problem! The hotel is obviously trying to be a W but they are far from it - basics such as a note pad and a pen near the telephone are missing; there is no turn down service; only one guest elevator serves the entire hotel; no bathmat in the bathroom and in order to be able to manage the light controls in the room, you need to attend a course! Restaurant and bar a not bad but overall, I found this hotel to be far overrated - maybe a good standard for Varna or Bulgaria but definitely not of an international standard. Service is well below standard and staff seem to be trained to simply hang up the phone when they do not understand English! Overall, a very disappointing experience with lots of basic standards being unavailable.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Samoht60
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I've spent a lot of time in the Balkans but this was my first visit to Varna and I did not know what to expect. I was tremendously pleased with my stay. This is a lovely design hotel with comfortable furnishing, a smoke-free environment and a hip, very chic bar and terrace for summer people watching. At less than 100 Euros a night I felt it offered tremendous value for money. I look forward to returning whenever I am in Varna.

Hotel is located on a main street in downtown Varna 5 minutes from all practical services and a lovely park. Rooms have themes and vary by design type. Mine was modern with dark wood and a large leather arm chair and ottoman and a bathroom with large soaking tub and large rainfall shower. Internet signal and water pressure were excellent.

The bar is trendy, I drank there a few times it pumps out blaring hip-hop music, which was fine for me but other travelers might be a bit put off. I liked the bar and the waitresses were friendly. It is a great spot to sit in the summer and it is clearly where the successful people in Varna go to drink. There was some minor noise from the bar (music) late into the night but it did not disturb my sleep, light sleepers might consider ear plugs or asking to be moved away from the bar.

Great fixtures, comfortable room, and smoke free in Varna. I couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank twainandwhitman
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Not only an excellent bar, stylish room with a super bathroom but there is even an art gallery to visit. Reception staff and Bell Boy very friendly and helpful. Breakfast good - hot and cold buffet in a comfortable, stylish restaurant. Great coffee too. The Cafe Graffit has won awards and is very light and stylish but people smoke inside which spoils the pleasant atmosphere. Although the menu didnt have my favourite cocktail on it, a White Russian, the waitress made sure I got one.
The leisure centre looks very nice, clean and modern but the pool is quite small. Lovely panaramic view over Varna from this level.
Art Gallery had an interesting exhibition and the assistant emailed me the information in English. I received the email as soon as I returned home the following day.
To top it all, the location is great, right in the centre of Varna.

Room Tip: Room 311 was excellent size and a superb bathroom.