“In the old part of the city and the height of antiquity and beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hebros Hotel

and 1 more site!
Hebros Hotel
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Plovdiv
Maine
“In the old part of the city and the height of antiquity and beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

The service was genuinely friendly and professional. The rooms were elegant and inviting, perfectly clean. The location was perfect and we could walk everywhere. The surrounding neighborhood as well as the hotel were living, restored museums in their antiquity and grandeur. We loved the whole feel of the hotel and the neighborhood. The breakfast which was included at Hebros was amazing. The best I have ever experienced at an Inn, B & B or nice hotel. We liked everything about it. The streets are all cobblestone in the area so you must be careful when driving in the area and parking due to the inconsistencies in the stone.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MangoMaine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

This was our first contact and accomodation experience in Bulgaria, right after our landing in Sofia. They gave our two weeks tour a very good start with an idea of the Bulgarian culture and atmosphere. Hebros Hotel was recommended by one of our guidebooks for the rooms and the meals as well.
Yet, it is hard to find in the Old Plovdiv and therefore you must accept the kind proposal of the lady on the phone to have someone come and fetch you. In our case, this was Christian, the waiter who even spoke French.
The car was parked along the beautiful facade of the hotel and the heavy luggage was brought to our spacious room or suite. Actually, the hotel is composed of two or three typical houses (of what is called the Bulgarian Renaissance Revival period) which give Old Plovdiv and other historical places their charm.
Even when arriving late, you can have dinner either in the courtyard or in the dining room. The food is fresh, the cooking excellent (the fried foie gras
is recommended to the gourmets) and the service by Christian, perfect. He also made a good recommendation for the wine and introduced us to some Bulgarian specialties at breakfast.
The night was quiet and comfortable in this well restored and well decorated Bulgarian home after an evening walk in this picturesque historical district.
As for the price, expensive probably to Bulgarians,
it seemed to us rather reasonable according to the quality and to western standards.
I had the curiosity to read some of the recent reviews for Hebros hotel and must say that I didn't recognize this establishment at all. Of course, other travellers were probably not lucky to have Christian
at their service. He even wanted to give us his own map of Bulgaria so as to find our way around his beautiful and welcoming country.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janieParis
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel twice now - last year with my husband and this year with my daughter. The hotel is very special - the rooms are furnished and decorated as one of the Plovdiv house museums and are very beautiful. The staff are wonderful; polite, helpful and always smiling. The garden restaurant is truly beautiful and the food quite exeptional. I have travelled extensively in Bulgaria and always enjoy the food very much but this food is of a higher class and the presentation is exquisite. Served in the garden on a warm summer evening it is an experience to treasure. Other reviewers have said things about this hotel that I find hard to believe as they are so far removed from my experiences. Please do not let them deter you from enjoying this hotel. It is true that this is not the cheapest hotel in Plovdiv, this is not the place for a bargain break, but I can unreservedly recommend the hotel. I hope that you will remember your stay here as I do, as a very special experience.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank missdrisc
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

It is difficult to find the location. We paid a taxi to show us the way. The reception is actually the bar in the restaurant … The room is fantastic and vast: luxurious furniture, wooden ceiling and floors, exclusive drapes and carpets. Exactly like on the web site. The bathroom was nice but quite small. The price is expensive according to the Bulgarian standards. But you have the privilege of staying in one of the historic houses of the Old Plovdiv.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heureuxvoyageurs
Doha, Qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

Dear Fellow Travellers:

I’d like to raise a red flag on this hotel for everyone's sake.

Hotel Hebros has in the past been widely recommended. Its restaurant was chosen the best in Bulgaria for two years running. Nevertheless, a visit just yesterday seemed to present a very different story.

I am sure it was once a very nice hotel, and the décor is still nice—though not, if you look closely, very high quality. But I do not think it is any longer the hotel it was. In fact, I am not entirely sure it is really a hotel any more.

Here's what I discovered, when I booked in:

1, The room rate is at least 30% over that quoted in the guides—now 139 euros. This happens, of course. Not necessarily sinister. Though quite a jump in one year...

2. I seemed to be the only guest, in peak season, on a Friday night, during the Plovdiv Folklore Festival. Other hotels seemed to be full or close to full. This was downright eerie, especially given the top billing Hebros is given by Rough Guides and other guides. Even eerier was the fact that

3. There was nobody at the front desk. Nobody when I arrived, and nobody for six or seven hours of periodic checking. I did get checked in; once I rang the front door bell, a woman appeared from the restaurant downstairs and showed me to my room.

4. The check-in procedure was very strange. She did not ask for a name; she just took my passport and ushered me to a room, saying they had been expecting me. This was creepy, and suggested they were not anticipating any other guests.

5. To make things worse, the woman who checked me in did not return my passport. She disappeared with it. This was especially troublesome because it is actually illegal to be on the streets of Bulgaria without some form of official ID. I was then trapped in the hotel, for some hours, in a strange city, with no services, no sources of information, and no apparent way of contacting hotel staff.

Visions of Count Dracula began to dance in my head. I half-expected the grand piano in the hall outside my room to begin playing by itself.

Wanting food, water, and Internet, and with no apparently relevant buttons on the in-room phone—and no answer to dialling zero--I eventually went down to the lobby and tried to ring the bell on the lobby desk. Interesting—it did not ring. It had apparently been welded shut. I tapped it with my fingernails to get it to make a reasonably decent sound. Repeated attempts--nothing happened. Then I thought to ring the doorbell; from the inside; hoping it would attract someone relevant from the restaurant. It had worked, after all, when I checked in. But this time even that did not work. Obviously, then they were expecting someone—I had a reservation. Now, they were not.

Not knowing what else to try, I repeated the exercise perhaps four times, at long intervals.

Finally an old man in the street outside seemed to take an interest. He made some sort of gesture and disappeared into the restaurant. He returned with a woman, who entered the lobby. She was not the same woman who had checked me in. I explained to her my problem with the passport, which she did not have. She in turn seized the opportunity to ask me to pay in advance. She said this was necessary because there would be nobody on the front desk the next morning who knew how to take payment.

This concern of hers revealed three things: they had no trained desk staff, they assumed nobody would stay in the hotel for more than one night, and they had never actually looked at my reservation. It was for ten days, not just one. There seemed a real chance they had even mistaken me for someone else.

This raised a new problem, because I was expecting the reduced rate for an extended stay promised on their website—a rate reduction of 40%. I figured I’d better confirm this immediately.

No—this seemed to be a problem. The woman pulled a notebook (computer) over to me and insisted I go on the internet and show my reservation to her, to confirm the rate.

Odd that she would not know what was on the hotel web page, and odd that she would want the guest to do this for her. She seemed, in fact, to be threatening or challenging me. It looked very much as though there was going to be a problem with the stated rate…

At this point, I had decided the best thing was to move on—it was not worth the hassle. I told her so, in not immoderate terms, but I expressed my concern at the apparent hostility to guests and lack of professionalism. I mentioned that I was a travel writer, and would obviously not be able to give them a good recommendation should I write the experience up.

Believe it or not, my decision to leave made my problems worse. This was apparently not okay at all; as if I had now offended somebody's honour. The woman made no concilatory noises, but said something like “oh-oh” under her breath, and asked me to return to my room, and she would bring the passport to me.

I returned to my room, and waited. After perhaps twenty minutes, a knock on the door. Instead of the woman, it was a quite burly man, with my passport visible in one fist, but a credit-card reader in the other. He said he would not give me back my passport unless I let him swipe my credit card.

Uh-oh indeed. Okay, getting scary now. At best, he seemed to be insisting I pay a day rate before he would let me leave. At worst, I was giving out my credit card information to an establishment that seemed not to be on the level. Not one to take well to being bullied, I told him if he did not give me back my passport, I would have to phone the police. I asked him for their number. He refused it, and said he was going to phone the police himself.

Which he then did. I phoned them too, but not speaking Bulgarian, had no way of actually communicating the problem to them. Hopeless; I had to hang up the phone.

Next, I packed up my things with all deliberate speed, figuring if I could not get my passport from this guy, my best bet was to get myself to the closest nearby hotel, hope the owner's name was not Bates, and throw myself on their mercies. I needed someone who spoke Bulgarian to act as my translator with the police, in order to get my passport back, and thought the lure of my patronage for ten nights might make it worth their while. If I stayed put, though, I figured this tough guy, who presumably was the manager on duty, might claim I was refusing to leave, or even stall, then claim the next day I had been refusing to pay the bill for a night's lodging. I was also feeling pretty trapped by now. And possibly vulnerable to a bogus criminal charge.

When I emerged into the street—the hotel still apparently completely deserted-- the police had already arrived, and were discussing the case with our friend the muscle. Of course, understanding only Bulgarian, they heard only his side, and heaven knows what he told them. But fortunately, my passport, which the police examined very closely, showed clearly I could not possibly have slept in the hotel for a night, as I had just arrived in the country. Probably very lucky for me.

The muscle sent somebody up to check out the room, and made a fuss about a coke and a water from the mini-bar. I had drunk them as they were cold, but then replaced them with my own supplies, as his informant must have known. But I did not want to give him a chance at a red herring, in the circumstances. So I paid for that on the spot. He also demanded that I pay for cleaning the room, which I had not slept in; I refused to do so. I doubted he could have made that stick with the cops, were they able to understand what he was saying to me. After much apparent inactivity, which I took to be the process of filling in a report, the police seemed to give him a mild lecture in front of me—hard to say when you can’t understand Bulgarian--handed me my passport, and waved me off. I got the sense the police themselves were unsure of their ground with this fellow, and he seemed to be swaggering a bit at them as well as me. If nothing else, he was a born bully, and obviously not suited by temperament to be working in a hotel.

I felt as though I had had the last word, for whatever that was worth, but was also left by now lugging my backpack and two smaller pieces of luggage around the steep and uneven streets of Old Plovdiv, an overweight man of 56, at about 9:30 pm, in search of a room for the night. In high season, on a weekend, duriing the Festival. And having been on the road from Athens for over a day. Not a situation any tourist wants to unexpectedly find himself in, and it seems to me worth warning the travelling public that such things can happen here in Plovdiv. The first three hotels I checked were either full or took advantage of my obvious plight to ask a patently dishonest rate—as in, one thousand euros per night for a single at a very two-star-looking hotel—but the desk clerk at the Dali Art Hotel, bless his heart, although that hotel was also full, voluntarily got on the phone and found me a good room at a good price at the Saga Palace Hotel across town, then called a cab for me. All this without being asked, and without hearing any kind of sob story from me—just at seeing an old fat guy with a heavy backpack in his lobby.

I would like the Dali to get credit for this, at least as much as I'd like to warn people against the current owners of the Hebros.

Through this random last minute method, I actually ended up with a pretty comparable room, in terms of actual facilities, if not décor—unless perhaps you fancy, as I do, glued, framed jigsaw puzzles on your walls?--in a pretty comparable location in relation to the sights, and a much better one in terms of street life and shopping, for a little over one fifth the price posted at the Hebros. All this, and actual service too. Even smiles.

The Saga Palace Hotel, in short, seems patently a better value, regardless of anything else, than the Hebros, even though essentially found at random.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank DogfacedChristopher
Hebros, owner at Hebros Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Every customer presents a credit card to be authorised for securing the first night stay cost in the hotel which is standard requirement in most respectable establishments. Some writing customers offer to write about Hebros in exchange for the hotel charges. Our policy is to pay for advertising and not to make barter deals with unknown writers and we take the risk to be reviewed negatively.
balham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Only called in for a meal,because it had been recommended,but was disappointed.Several items on the menu were not available,and it was grossly overpriced.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gatewaytothesouth
Hebros, owner at Hebros Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2009
What is good to know is that our menu is a very short one. It is only two pages but every item in it has been developped and tasted carefully before final approval. The menu is prepared every day and includes only what is cooked today and from today's market ingredients.
The only way that an item may be missing is to be sold out. If several items of the menu were not available this means that we have
been very busy.
Concerning the prices you cannot expect to have the same prices in McDonald's and in a gourmet restaurant. Yes, in the town
there are a lot of cheap restaurants serving precooked, frozen and microwaved just before serving food. Hebros is not one of them.
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

I just came back from Bulgaria where my partner and I just got married. The wedding took place in Plovdiv which is a fantastic Bulgarian city, very picturesque and lively and with wonderful friendly people. For our wedding arrived 100 people from all around the world - USA, Australia, UK, NZ, Austria and others. I had personally reserved all the hotes and restaurants for our guests and my husband and I along with our closest friends stayed in Hebros Hotel because I was charmed by the looks of the rooms on their website and by the reviews about their restaurant. After months of correspondance and arrangements, I thought I have arranged a very good place for our special days and I was assured I was given a very good price for our group - we have booked the entire hotel for 4 days and a dinner for 30 people in their restaurant. I was shocked to discover ( 2 days before everybody arrived!) that on the website of the hotel ONLY IN BULGARIAN there is a special discount of 40% for guests who stay the entire weekend and some other once which was made me realize that instead of given a discount, I was being made a fool of.
Once again, these discounts do not appear on the English version of the site. I went back to the hotel where the very unfriendly manageress - not a sign of a professional which such place should require, did not even come to see me. Our room although beautifully decorated was not clean enough, did not get cleaned for two days ( the entire hotel staff knew it was our wedding! ), the air conditioning was loud and smelly and when we were leaving, I found used tissues under the bed.
The dinner for our guests, just like everything else was way over priced with very small amounts of food. The staff, apart from the manageress who I mentioned before, were nice and very friendly but the bill was extortionate.
None of our guests was registered in the hotel as the Bulgarian law requires.
Despite the dissapointing Hebros, everybody had a great time in Bulgaria. All the other hotels that we used in Plovdiv such as The Old Town Residence, Renaissance, Romantica, Ala Frangite and Belle Ville were excellent. All the other restaurants such as Puldin, Cheverme, Zarsko Selo, Megdana were brilliant, with fantastic food, prices and service.
I would highly recommend going to the Art Gallery Philipopolis which is a stunning place, to the Etnographic Museum and to the House of Lamartin.

• Stayed June 2009