“A truly unique experience from a hostel.”

Majdas Rooms Hostel
Ranked #3 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Mostar
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We were picked up from our train and taken to the hostel where we received some ice tea and some breakfast while we waited for our room. We were welcomed by all in a hostel which had such a social and friendly environment.
The hostel is bright and colourful with several common areas for socialising. Everyone meets for breakfast and dinner which tasted great and gives everyone a chance to get to know everyone else and arrange plans for the evening.
We almost didn't go on the tour run by Majda's brother Bata which would have been a huge mistake. The tour was a great experience. From swimming in waterfalls to learning almost a century of history with personal stories of the family I couldn't fault the tour at all.
The hostel is right around the corner from bars, restaurants and shops and the old town is just 10 minutes down the road.
We had air con, wifi and were given towels.
I couldn't fault anything about our stay here. I'd recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Majda's Rooms is special. I've stayed in hostels all across Europe, Asia and America, but none gave me anywhere near as warm a welcome as Majda's. It's like a home away from home.

It's only a ten minute walk to the old town and bridge, but the hostel is on the opposite end of town to the bus/train station so that's more like a 30 min walk away. This isn't a problem as they will pick you up and drop you off for free. The rooms are clean and comfy, and breakfast is included in the price (yum yum). It's almost embarassingly cheap, I felt guilty paying so little when I got so much in return.

It's not for everyone. Antisocial types won't enjoy Majda's, and nor will robots. If you have a soul, enjoy a good chat and can manage to crack a smile, then Majda's is for you. It's a great place to meet other travellers.

As others have said, you HAVE to join Bata's tour. Spend a half or full day looking around Mostar itself, and then spend another day with Bata to see the many wonderful things in the surrounding area. His tour is exhausting, crazy, fascinating, hilarious and ridculous. Absolutely the highlight of my trip to Croatia and Bosnia. Don't forget your swimming costume!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tristan T
Reviewed May 23, 2012

If you are considering Hostel Majdas, realize that this is a HOSTEL not a hotel. They don't offer private rooms, and you will have to share a bathroom with other travelers. That's why it's affordable!

Majda and Bata have really thought out what travelers want and need while on the road. They were extremely helpful before I arrived as I wasn't sure what the bus schedule from Dubrovnik to Mostar was. They offered to pick us up from the bus station, which is quite a distance, for free. When we arrived at the hostel, Majda made us some traditional sweet as we made name tags for our beds. They really make an effort to remember people's names and the name tags help them. One of the bathrooms at the hostel is one of the nicest bathrooms I've ever seen in a hostel (and I've stayed in almost 50). The communal areas were comfortable, and the hostel was quiet late at night. Throughout our time at the hostel, Majda would often treat us with sliced apples, ice cream treats, etc.

As a side note: the tour offered by Bata is not for the faint of heart. It is, rightly, called Bata's Boot Camp. It is quite an experience and one not to be missed.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I arrived in Mostar planning to stay only one night. I was picked up at the train station, taken to the hostel and welcomed with ice tea and cake. Majda is SO lovely and really cares about her guests. She and her brother, Bata, were amazing hosts - I couldn't have felt more welcome! The hostel itself is really comfortable and homey. It's a nice size and it's really easy to socialise with the other guests. Bata's tour of Herzegovina was the best day tour I have ever done. He's a wild ball of energy! The tour is so informative and fun - it really is a must do! In the end I stayed two nights but I wish I could have stayed longer! There's no doubt - I'll be going back to Majda's as soon as possible. Do yourself a favour - when you go to Bosnia, go to Mostar and stay at Hostel Majdas!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Courtney L
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had been recommended this hostel by other people and it was definitely up to our expectations. Majda welcomed us to the sound of an Italian song, the place was cosy and the atmosphere we found was very special. The place is close to the centre, they gave us all the necessary information and were very friendly. We also did the tour, a great and thorough experience I would definitely recommend.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The hostel is a bit hard to find, but they can at for you at the train/bus station, I decided to walk there by my own means, and thanks to the kindness of strangers I made it.

The place is small and it can get a bit crowded at times, but when something so minor becomes noticeable, you know you have all your major needs covered: safety, comfort, price, location (not the best possible, but within walking distance of everything in town.

Majda was a great host, and received me with a cup of hot coffee, I was lucky to be hanging around when others checked in too, and got refill after refill of coffee and tea all day.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2012

From the moment I was picked up by Majda the experience was like being at home. Majda worked tirelessly to take care of us as if we were her family. It was the small touches like a surprise treat on arrival and for breakfast.

The hostel itself was fully functional with good internet, free computers, fresh sheets & towels, clean & modern bathrooms plus three common areas. Security was also top notch including secure lockers.

During my stay I had the opportunity (privilege) to take part in Bata's tour. This covered everything of importance in the Mostar area. This is very useful as some attractions just don't have public transport options. This tour is definitely aimed at those who like to have a good time (great views, food, music, driving).

I will be returning to Mostar so I can stay with Majda and do the tour again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo