“Great staff, great location”
Review of Hotel Monte Cristo

Hotel Monte Cristo
Ranked #1 of 12 Kotor B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The Monte Cristo is great for two reasons: the staff are exceptionally nice, and the restaurant below is worth your time. Of course the central location is brilliant, everything is within walking distance, and I don't know what it's Klimint in the summer, but at 11pm exactly, the noise in the street stopped...the constant music can be annoying particularly from the next door bar, the Evergreen (which is actually brilliant at night!! Highly recommend, very friendly and fun, late!). But like I said, at 11pm, silence! Sleeping was easy, the bed was large, my TV couldn't get good satellite reception, but the staff fixed it immediately. The room was very tidy, and the shower nice. The fake velvet Klimt painting of the half-nude woman was not kitsch enough to keep, they should take it down. And the staff were great; they called the bus station and taxis for me, they let me pay for the restaurant and hotel bill with my card (normally they are separate), just great service. The restaurant downstairs is quite good; I had a fish soup that was simple and delicious, I had calamar one night (really good!), and fish the other (really good!); great wine, quick service, and breakfast was very generous and delicious. The staff were nice, good-looking, and very friendly. It annoyed me that they had to have an employee harassing people in the street to come eat there, because the food really speaks for itself, and I told the manager that they did not need to do that. But I realize it's very competitive there...but she understood what I meant. English spoken well, and understood. I stayed 2 nights at the end of October. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: I thought room 4 next to reception would be noisy, but I was wrong! Big, nice room with a view on th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rarles

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I loved Kotor and the Monte Cristo hotel. While Kotor is much smaller than Dubrovnik it felt like a surprise was around every corner. This hotel was in the center of th city with a helpful staff and beautiful decor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monte Cristo and would certainly recommend it to other travellers --- the staff were super-friendly and despite us arriving at 10pm were more than willing to accompany us back to the public car park and show us the other car park where we had free parking included in the price of the hotel.

The breakfast in the restaurant was another highlight, with some lovely baked goods every day and fresh fruit.

I would agree with previous reviewers that the noise level on the Friday night was quite high from the bars below, but it also provided some atmosphere and gave you a sense of being part of the action whilst being tucked up in bed.

We had the room on the top floor at the back of the property and this probably assisted with the noise level. I would recommend requesting this room if you have the opportunity. You can't beat the location in the heart of the Old City, especially waking up early and having a sense of the whole town still sleeping and wondering through the old streets.

Room Tip: Request room #9 it is on the highest floor away from most of the bar/pub noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the hotel after being invited up to look at the terrace. The terrace overlooks the Old Town and there are relatively few tables which make the experience feel a little more special.

We had the grilled fish platter which was delicious. The platter consisted of sea bream, prawns, clams, mussels and octopus with all the fish and seafood cooked well. The accompanying black rissotto was also delicious.

Local wine as fine and Montenegrin beer is good. Price was relative to Old Town, but the terrace and the quality of food make it a stand out choice.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The Monte Cristo is a nice enough hotel; our room was adequately sized and cosy, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was decent enough. One problem; they had a live band playing in their bar below until past 1am! Apart from that noise, there were various other bangings and furniture movings which when you're getting up at 7am to hike the city walls is a bit irritating. Also the parking is quite far from the hotel, though there is a golf kart service to take you there.

Not a bad hotel, just beware of the of the noise.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank GusElena
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I immediately loved this hotel when I checked in. Eclectic, old world ambiance in the Old Town section of Kotor. Centrally located, clean, convenient and charming. The room was spacious and had a lot of character (old stone walls, antique furniture, etc).

Down side to the hotel -- tonight is my 2nd night and there is live music next door. It's now 2 AM and the noise is so loud, I can't sleep. While i love the character of this place, there needs to be some effort to sound proof the rooms -- it's utterly frustrating to not be able to sleep when you want to.

I really wanted to give this hotel 4 or 5 stars, but this evening's experience kind of ruined it for me.

The hotel restaurant is average. I suggest eating in one of Kotor's nearby restaurants or cafe's (there is a great new wine bar about 100 metres away). I originally intended to stay a few extra nights because I am enamored with this town, however, the lack of sleep from the noise has changed my opinion (i'm sorry to say).

On the plus side -- incredibly friendly helpful staff @ reception. Waiter in the restaurant on 1st night was quite unfriendly. No big deal, but given the price of the meals, one expects a bit friendlier service. Especially in a hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the courtyard or on a higher level. My room was on 2nd floor and it was horribl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank sjmegy
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We only stayed one night in Kotor but really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and in the old town. The town is even better at night when the crowds have gone and the town is lit with street lamps.
Small but very welcoming hotel which is very tastefully presented. It was a little noisy but not bad enough to not go again. The streets are small and it is a vibrant place hence there is always going to be some noise of people going about their daily lives. Breakfast was OK and is served in the restaurant below the hotel. The only down side was that breakfast was served with only one cup of coffee ad you have to pay if you want another

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple