“Perfect Location”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kotor
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We loved this hotel. It couldn't be more ideally located. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We felt truly welcome and appreciated. We spent a little extra for the junior suite with seaview...totally worth it. The room was quite large and comfortable. The view isn't some big sweeping vista, but it's still nice. The room design is chic and modern while still remaining cosy. The A.C. is excellent! Best of all, the breakfast is served until 1pm. It is menu-ordered rather than the usual tired Euro buffet and they will even deliver it to your room at no charge. Loved that! The windows to the exterior were perfectly sound-proofed and we never heard a peep. Unfortunately, the wood door to the hallway is practically worthless. We could hear every step, every word, every cell phone ring...everything. Also, the door to the bathroom is just a frosted piece of glass offering very little privacy. Normally these two things would have me warning others to stay away but the many positives of the room: the flexibility of breakfast, the best A.C. in Europe, and the extraordinary friendliness of the staff have me highly recommending it.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the juniou suite
4  Thank dcm13

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Granted that star ratings are country-specific. However, we have stayed at five star places that were nowhere near as nice as Astoria. Decoration is somewhat overdone and will get tacky within just a few years, but the bathroom is nice, and people go out of their way to be helpful. I can see why some reviews mention the front desk lady to be a bit too much but it did not bother us one bit.

5  Thank bauwens
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent four nights at the Astoria prior to venturing into Albania. Located in an old palace which has been beautifully renovated, this hotel offers excellent accommodation in a truly charming setting, right at the heart of the walled city of Kotor.

We stayed in a suite that subtly mixed modern and classic, with lots of space and great views of the buzzing of the old town. The bathroom was ample and very well equipped, although the many functions of the shower sometimes made it difficult to work properly! The room was also promptly and excellently serviced, usually everything was perfectly in place by the time we were back from breakfast.

The hotel personnel is superb, with Dragana, Andjelka and the other girls whose name I never learnt being all smiles, polite and very helpful.

Breakfast was very good albeit à la carte. It is of course a matter of personal preferences, but I usually like buffet breakfasts better.

While the hotel itself does not have a parking (no cars allowed in the old town, understandably), it provides free parking space in a parking lot located right next to the city walls. There is also free wi-fi available for guests of the hotel.

As some other reviewers have written, noise can be an issue as the old town is filled with bars, clubs and restaurants. Fortunately we were there during weekday and in low season, but I think, and the hotel staff will readily admit to that, that noise can become problematic on busy nights.

Recommended.

1  Thank Liilak
Reviewed September 27, 2012

After a long day of travel, I arrived with my colleague to Hotel Astoria in Kotor on Sunday, September 23, 2012. I had pre-booked a Junior Suite Bay View weeks before and was excited to finally arrive and relax. Immediately after checking in, I went up to the room to use the bathroom. As I was sitting ON the toilet, I gently slid the glass door of the bathroom closed and as I did it completely shattered and fell on me! Very shaken, afraid to move and still sitting on the toilet, I looked for any cuts or injuries. I carefully stepped over the glass-- thankfully I still had my shoes on--and I immediately called the front desk. The front desk lady, Anita, came right up to inspect. Anita asked me to leave the room so the maid could clean it up. (While checking in another lady reminded me at least three times they were a four star hotel.) The glass was finally cleaned up some hours later and I thought they would provide some sort of makeshift privacy door to the bathroom. No. My male friend and I had to use a bathroom for three days two nights with no door. That's awkward! I asked for a different room. They didn't have another room available. They did offer " to inconvenience another guest who would be arriving later" by giving them the broken door room, and moving me and my colleague into their room. The other room was smaller, and did not have a bay view. I asked if I could have the room at the lesser rate since it was smaller and had no bay view. I was told no. It would be the same rate! (So, Hotel Astoria was willing to "inconvenience" another guest, put me in a smaller room at the same rate, and not once was my well-being questioned my management. If this hotel was in the USA I would think they would have been concerned about a lawsuit!)

The next day, Monday, September 24, 2012, after a long day of touring the Bay of Kotor, I returned to my hotel room when not one minute after stepping into my room, the phone rang. The front desk asked me to come downstairs. Upon arriving at the front desk, I was informed that I would be responsible for the damage to the glass door! This was done in the middle of the hotel lobby, No privacy! How embarrassing! Not once was I asked if I was ok or if I sustained any injuries. Somehow, I am responsible for a defective door that shattered as I sat on the toilet urinating! This is NOT the service of a four star hotel. I used the bathroom door in a normal, every day way. The way any one would use a bathroom door.

Anita at the front desk was the only person who ever asked if I was OK. I spoke with the manager, Valentina, several times via phone and email. Not once did she ask if I was OK.

I asked for turn down service the second night--they looked at me like they didn't understand. I then explained what turn down service was--never had to do that at a four star hotel before. They simply brought up two fresh towels...no fresh face clothes, no shampoo, cream, body gel. No tidy-up of the bathroom and room...

P.S. I am a luxury travel writer. I was in Kotor writing an article about luxury hotels....#FAIL

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Andy J
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am only reviewing the desserts my friends and I had at Hotel Astoria. My friends and I were on a cruise, which stopped in Kotor. After day of biking, we decided to take a quick tour of town and take pictures.

My friend's brother decided he wanted some gelato, and we saw a nice display of gelato. However, we then saw the hotel's food menu, and we decided to have desserts. So, I ordered the chocolate souffle and my friend had the molten lava cake, which they call Cokoladni Volcano.

Maybe about 15 minutes later, we saw the waiter coming with these beautiful desserts, which were so huge! We had already eaten lunch before making our way back to town, so had already eaten a hearty meal.

Well, once I began to taste this souffle, it didn't matter how big the dessert was because I ate all! It was so decadent! It came with chocolate sauce, a cream, and ice cream. It was super rich, and it was worth ordering! That was a good way to wrap up our short stay in Kotor.

Certainly, if I ever visit Kotor again, I'll be sure to go there again to try the desserts. The waiter was quite kind and helful. His service is worth mentioning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vessup
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was easily our favourite hotel of our whole trip. Kotor was absolutely beautiful - we weren't sure when driving in as the outskirts aren't great but inside the old town is stunning. The room was very unusual but we really liked it and it was huge, with a fantastic bathroom. Kotor is a lovely place but there are a lot of tourist groups off cruise ships so my advice is to stay in Kotor so you can appreciate the beautiful hotels and great restaurants and the evening atmosphere but to get out during the day or you're swamped by tour groups. Highly recommend a trip to Perast for the day. Definitely recommend walking up to the fortress though. This hotel had the best breakfast of our trip - freshly cooked to order and served until 1pm if you want a late morning. The freshly squeezed fruit juices are delicious and the cocktails are good, as is the atmosphere of the bar. The staff were amazing and easily the best of our trip - they were so welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea not the square as it's noisy at night whereas you can't hear a...
2  Thank clang_12
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just returned from a 7 night holiday, 4 nights of which we stayed in Montenegro in this fabulous boutique hotel. Hotel rooms were wonderful and we had a room overlooking the harbour (Thita) with a lovely little balcony.We spent a good few hours on a couple of our days watching the world go by sitting here. We felt really looked after during this stay, The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and even helped us to sort out a flat battery on our hire car when we had left the radio panel on! Thanks again for hepling with this. We loved or stay and would love to return, if we do this will be the hotel for us!

1  Thank tiddlywinks90
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kotor
4 mi away
#1 of 2 in Perast
Casa del Mare
Casa del Mare
#2 of 18 in Herceg-Novi

Been to Hotel Astoria? Share your experiences!