“Nice atmosphere”

Ranked #5 of 97 Specialty Lodging in Kotor
Strasbourg, France
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I could not call it the nicest place on earth, but the staff is super friendly and helpful. I was there the last week of December, all alone in the hostel and I enjoyed staying there. This is a hostel, you cannot expect amazing room when you pay 11 euros, so I would recommend it, and it's really well located.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed in Kotor for few days in an apartment proposed by Hostel Kotor : 50 €/night. We had no breakfast included, the bathroom was a disaster with water everywhere every time we would take a shower and a terrible smell, a lot of noise during the night, even people knocking on our door in the middle of the night... We also tried one of the trip organized by the hostel, the rafting : 70 € / pers ! We stayed in the car for 9 hours return during the day, had a very small but pleasant meal, only 2 hours on the raft instead of the 3 initially planned... A bit expensive for the experience we had ! When we asked some explanations to the hostel's owner on the phone, she became hysterical and threw the phone away ! So for us definitely the place not to be !
The only good point I would give to this hostel is the staff : friendly and helpful, they do their best to welcome you and smooth things over.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Marielle L
cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The room we originally were given had bedbugs which I spotted straight away. When I brought this up we were taken to another building (thank god) and given a room in an elderly woman's house. A bit strange! No air conditioning and it was about 38C so pretty hot! You can't blame a hostel for getting bedbugs, it just happens nowadays, so maybe my experience wasn't a normal one. Overall this place is what you would expect from a hostel, nothing more. Kotor is a lively little city, I would t advise against staying here, just check under the mattress and don't expect luxury!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank mcfste
Omagh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was here for 4 days last week, at the end of my trip and I couldn't think of a better place to stay. The rooms were very clean, with fresh sheets and towels every day. The hostel itself was spotless and in an excellent location. The staff are brilliant, both very helpful and friendly, and great to have a chat with. The food for dinner is, in a word, amazing and well worth the money (and also a really good way to meet people). Also the Big Montenegro is really worth doing, excellent value - Miroslav was an excellent tour guide, full of information and ready to answer any question that we had. And such a nice guy too!
All in all, an excellent spot to stay!

2 Thank Jamie B
Utrecht
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hostel has the finest location in scenic Kotor and the staff are nice too. Indeed it can get noisy if there are festivities going on though being in this nice town makes up for that. The hostel offers decent dinners for €5,- including a beer which is fine value.

Room Tip: Keep in mind there may be festivals that could cost you sleep.
Oss, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hostel. But we didn't actually stay in the hostel but in a kind of apartment in a dark street in the old town. The location was very good, but it was a moist place. The smell was horrible and there were !hundreds! of insects in the room. We tried everything to decrease the bad air/smell, but it was impossible. A few days after our stay in this room we still smelled this air in our pyjamas. The service wasn't that great as well. The girls really tried to offer good service but they where very busy, since they had to do too many jobs. Wi-fi was available in the main building but not in our room. The pc's at the reception were nice. After all, we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DvdVen
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

As everyone else has said, the location for Montenegro Hostel Kotor is fabulous - right in the Old Town. Yes, there are lots of people and music, but you're in the middle of the action! There is a music curfew, however, so it's not all night until 5am.

The main problem I had was with being asked to move / the rooms themselves. I booked 6 nights in a 8-bed mixed dorm, with private bathroom. The first dorm was on the top floor of their second location. As it's at the top of the stairs, there is no door to the room, so you have to rely on everyone else locking the main door. Which they didn't. I chose it for the aircon, but because there was no door / closed wall, the 1 unit they had didn't do anything. Oh, and there were no working lockers. Needless to say I had a horrible night's sleep, with strange people wandering around (not sure if they were supposed to be there or not!), boiling hot temps and the man in the next bed so close he could have cuddled me! I asked to move for the second night, and was, to a much better place. Great room, good night's sleep. Then I got back from a walk around town to find the host in the dorm, telling me and the other girl who had moved from the top room that a group of people wanted to sleep in the same room, so we had to move. Downstairs again, to another room which was OK. Except it wasn't cleaned the 4 nights I was there... There were dirty and laundered bedclothes in heaps and people were just told to help themselves. There was a broken glass bottle on the floor for at least 2 days which I would have swept,up, but there was no brush etc... The bathroom was.... not nice! We had no toilet paper for 2 days, until I asked the host to replenish. The host was there a fair bit. Mainly having sex with her boyfriend on the dorm beds. Which were not changed before the next occupants arrived. I've never been so glad of being on the top bunk! Oh, and they squeezed 2 extra people in on the sofa, so we now have 10 of us in a dirty 8-person room.

I've still given it a 3 star, though, as The other dorms in the "main" area are quite nice - I had a night in one and it was everything you'd want a hostel to be. The communal area was good, and the wifi worked well. I also did their Big Montenegro Tour, which was good. A long day, but you got to see the main sights.

In summary, choose the 6-bed dorms which are in the main reception area and you'll be fine. The 8-bed ones, you take a risk!

Room Tip: 6-bed dorms are good.
3 Thank angel_hutchy