“Wonderful and elegant dining experience!”
Review of Zak

Zak
Ranked #6 of 283 Restaurants in Novi Sad
Price range: $300 - $6,500
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine dining
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The atmosphere of Zak is immediately inviting and relaxing. The menu is outstanding! A lovely selection of cheese (try the burrata salad!) and perfectly prepared lamb. Easily the best restaurant in Novi Sad!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had lunch and the restaurant has the right atmosphere to sit down, relax and talk
The choices on the menu are overwhelming whether you want fish,meat,vegetables..it is all there.Service was attentive,friendly and fast, the waiter even went out to buy our favourite sigarets!

Try the chocolate dessert....

1  Thank fred038
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The best international restaurant in town ! Food is amazing, service great, atmosphere nice. I love it.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We ordered soups, appetizers, seven different main dishes, and desserts. They were all delicious. The menu was translated to English. The service was also excellent

3  Thank LatinaOnTheGo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

What can I say, ZAK established itself as the number one fine dining restaurant in Novi Sad and wider. I went to most proclaimed restaurants in Belgrade and ZAK outperformed them in my book. Why? Let’s start with the location; tucked in the middle of Novi Sad downtown and even though it is easy to find, you will take lovely stroll through your typical European narrow streets. They also have parking, but I prefer walking in Novi Sad. Friendly staff welcomes you and offers sitting of your choice: patio/garden, gallery level or even the cellar. Each one of these seating options will deliver unique experience within the same restaurant. My favorite is the patio: perfect dimmed lighting, candles, amazing view of the wall and historic roofs, comfortable sitting and good service.
Food is extraordinary. I went there with a party of four very dear people. Menu is easy to navigate and English speaking staff can always help with your choice. Appetizers set the right tone with beef carpaccio, pate, radishes, home-made bread. We had a very patient and knowledgeable server who informed us of good local wines that will not break your bank but will definitely please your palate. From what I saw their wine menu is huge and will satisfy every taste and wallet. For entrée I enjoyed the small rabbit with polenta, apples and silky walnut sauce. Now this might sound heavy and rich, but it was not! It was a perfect mix of rabbit delicate meat with starchy polenta, while apples brought contradiction of texture and taste: sweetness and acidity- this allowed for walnut sauce to marry these three with its lustrous flavor. For dessert we had cheese cake and chocolate leaves with white chocolate mousse, again it was delicious. Even with all the food we ate, we didn’t feel like we just swallowed a brick. I thought the portions were sized just right (I am a pretty big guy with 6’3”). This made me very happy since Serbian food is known for being heavy and drenched in fat. Not here! This is because ZAK has a famous chef who is probably the pioneer in Serbia when it comes to fusion and blending Serbian traditional foods with Italian and French recipes. This is a perfect scenario for me since I can feel authentic local flavor with enough twist to make it western friendly. Their chef even came out from the kitchen and politely asked us about the meal- nice touch!
Now, even though ZAK is known for its fine dining, I never felt that place was pretentious. The only thing I was not happy with is that there was no host like in restaurants in US. Once you enter the restaurant from the street there is a 20 feet long hall that you must walk through by yourself before you encounter the staff. Nonetheless I felt welcome, non-rushed, informed and left happy just as my whole party did too. I heard some people complain about the pricing. I felt that it was moderate compared to some of the fine dining spots in NYC, Chicago or Miami. We are definitely coming back to my favorite restaurant in Novi Sad and wider.

Alex