“a wonderful day with Sergey”

Private Guide Sergey Sorokin
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Yalta
More attraction details
Owner description: Sergey Sorokin - private guide. I offer private guiding. When you book my tours, you book exactly my guiding. My tours and excursions: sightseeing excursions, hiking, rock climbing, paragliding. If I'm free, I say that I'm available. If I'm not available, I say it immediately and propose to choose other dates or recommend another guide. NEVER surprises in last minute. If you book tour with me - I said I'm available -> 100% you will see me:)
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We spent a very enjoyable, informative and eventful day with Sergey. Having exchanged emails with Sergey - his replies were always prompt and he was happy to fit the day to our itinerary.
Sergey picked us up in his spacious van close by to the cruise port. We travelled to Balaklava - we visited the Valley of Death and saw the monument to the Charge of the Light Brigade. Next we went on to the secret Russian sub marine base. From here it was onto the Panorama Museum - this is an amazing depiction of the Crimean War in the round - each new look brought another perspective. audio guides are available which are worth the extra to provide information. On leaving the museum we drove to Sevastopol and saw some of the sights near the harbour. It was by this time pouring with rain and Sergey kindly provided us with an umbrella. On our way back to Yalta Sergey stopped at a wonderful view point and chapel which was beautifully decorated. Next it was a stop for traditional Crimean Tartar lunch which Sergey ordered for us all - surprising us with the various lamb dishes that arrived at the table which were all delicious. Journeying on we reached a traffic jam which Sergey thought was strange - he tried following some other vehicles into the hills but eventually we had to turn back - the heavy rainfall had caused land slides and torrents of water, earth, and debris were flowing at speed. We returned to the main road - could not pass the landslide so Sergey phoned a friend to meet us on the other side, parked his van and walked us to the other side where we met up with his friend he kindly drove us back to the port so we were not late back for the shi. I'm pleased to say I h ave since heard from Sergey and the road was cleared a while later and he was able to get home safe and sound. We thoroughly enjoyed our adventure with Sergey and would not hesitate in recommending him to anyone seeking an informative and enjoyable day.

1  Thank marshatraveller
There are newer reviews for Private Guide Sergey Sorokin

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We booked Sergey with another couple we'd met through a cruise forum and after various emails to-ing and fro-ing between the UK and the Ukraine we came up with our itinerary for the day and he was happy to accommodate us.

Sergey met us at the port and there was lots of space in this van for the four of us, although it was bouncy in the very back seat. Yalta itself is nothing special so we headed out and for the first part of the journey from Yalta to Balaklava I was sitting in the front and he was endlessly patient with my incessant questions. His English is excellent although as you'd expect, heavily accented but always easy to understand.
Our first stop was at the Valley of Death to see the monument to the Charge of the Light Brigade. He explained the battle very well and then we hot-footed it to the submarine base to get in front of the P&O coaches which had passed us. We were successful in this and actually this secret base is more interesting than we expected although not the sort of place we'd choose to go back to. Our next stop was the Panorama Museum and this is amazing and you should not miss it if you're in this area. It is a gallery in the round telling the story in beautifully painted art work and accompanying 3-D models of one of the battles of the Crimean War. Borrow the audio guides as they're well worth the little extra they cost. We could have spent ages here because the more you looked the more you saw. Sergey then drove us round the city of Sevastopol, particularly the harbour area which was lovely despite the rain which, by this time, had got quite heavy. En-route back towards Yalta we stopped for some lunch at a lovely Crimean Tartar restaurant like a series of log cabins and we all elected to have Sergey choose from the menu for us. The food was mainly lamb in various forms and although we probably won't ever have it again it added to life's rich tapestry. We then headed back towards Yalta and could see thunderstorms in the distance but even that did not prepare us for what was about to happen......

When we were about 2/3 of the way back, we came across a long traffic jam. Sergey found out that there had been a mud-slide leaving the road blocked. He tried various routes using little tracks over the mountain but the water was a torrent, raging towards us. Unperturbed, we returned to the main road and Sergey drove up to the front of the queue determined to get through- but when he saw some cars up to the top of their wheel arches in mud he knew it was no go. We kept amazingly calm because we could see how determined he was to get us back to the ship on time and we just knew he wouldn't let us down.

To cut a long story short, Sergey parked the van up, phoned a friend, walked us round the mud (even lending me some boots so I didn't ruin my sandals) !- and took us down the road for a mile where his friend met us and took us back to the ship.

Sergey is interesting, quirky, reliable, well-informed – and a total star to get us back to the ship. We can see the Livadia Palace and Swallows Nest another day but we'll never have an experience like that again..

2  Thank arrbee54
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Arranged a shore excursion with Sergey prior to our ship docking in Yalta. The correspondence with Sergey was very quick and he was very responsive to our questions.

We got promptly picked up at the Lenin Monument at 10 am. Our tour lasted a little over 6 hours. Our group of 4 opted for the Yalta tour to see Massandra Palace, Livadia Palace, Alupka Palace - our tour price included tickets to all 3 of these palaces included detailed explanation from Sergey. Our lunch was not included but Sergey took us to a restaurant to try Crimea pancakes and a wine tasting. After lunch we went to a viewpoint to see the Swallow's Nest. We also had a quick visit to see the impressive Oreanda church. Since we had to rush back to our ship, we skipped Chekhov's house.

All in all it was a great day with comprehensive tour to all 3 palaces. We had adequate time there and did not feel rushed like the big cruise groups. Even though there were big ship tours at the Palaces, Sergey managed to maneuver around them.

We paid 105 USD per person for our party of 4 which was a great price given some of the prices the ship was charging for their excursion and no ship excursion included all the sites we saw. One note however, there is an adequate amount of walking. We did quite a bit of walking and if you have limitations, just be aware that cars cannot drop you off at the entrances of these palaces.

If we had to do again however, we probably would have started an hour earlier. The promenade area where the ships dock do not require a lot of time to walk around. You can pretty much see the entire promenade in half an hour.

3  Thank PandaHouston
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights in the southern Crimea (1 in Simferapol, 3 in Yalta, and 1 more in Simferapol). Sergey Sorokin picked us up at our hotel in Simferapol and guided us for 3 full days. He was outstanding! He is primarily a hiking/climbing/camping guide, but we can attest that he's great as a general sightseeing guide, too! He's very flexible in his itinerary, considerate, personable, and prompt. His English is great and the van that he drove us in was roomy and in very good condition. He is young, energetic, knowledgeable of both Crimea's history and culture. We highly recommend him. (Note that there are 2 guides operating in Crimea. This was Sergey Sorokin. I know nothing of the other Sergey.)

6  Thank Tobindia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I toured Sevastopol and Ukraine, both ports on our Black Sea cruise. We hired Sergey Serokin as our guide for the two days and were delighted with our decision. During the planning stages, Sergey worked with me in creating an itinerary, although, admittedly, we didn't feel the need to change his basic proposal. It was all-encompassing and we feel we hit all the highlights of each port ~ and did so without feeling rushed. Sergey does not keep looking at his watch; your tour will end after you have seen all the sites, not when six or seven hours are up.
But don't worry, Sergey is responsible and you will return to the ship in plenty of time. Sergey is easy to understand and is knowledgable; we learned a great deal touring with him. Lunch is included in each day's tour and, in Sergey's hands, was part of the travel experience. Sergey ordered for us. One day featured Crimean specialties and the next, Ukranian. Sergey's van is modern, comfortable, and ~ very important ~ air-conditioned. Our two days with him were the most memorable of our trip.

2  Thank travelilnrose