“really worth visiting if you know who Chekhov is”

Chekhov House & Museum
Ranked #3 of 59 things to do in Yalta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Milan, Italy
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“really worth visiting if you know who Chekhov is”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was my second visit to Chekhov's house, the first one dates back to more than 15 years ago and I should say that it has improved greatly. First we had a guided tour (in Russian) and the guide was really professional and a good speaker. We were shown all around the house and the cook's cottage. Afterwards we were shown a documentary about Chekhov and his house and then we walked around the garden. It was good that you could stay there as long as you wanted. The house is located in the outskirts of the city and it's not easy to find. However it's only about a half-an-hour walk from the centre.

Visited August 2012

• Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Chekhov's house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Took me ages to find it, I walked from the centre of Yalta, and passed it twice. The staff were really welcoming and helpful - they put on an English language film for me to watch first. Nice place and worth a visit.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Stroudy69
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

As a big fan of Chekhov I was very excited to visit this House Museum. It was renovated in recent years and seemed to be well maintained. I arrived there at about 3:30pm, and they showed me an English version of a film about Chekhov. However, they suddenly told me the museum would be closed at 4pm (instead of 5pm) for a certain event and I had to visit the white dacha in a rush. Fortunately the staff were very nice, they allowed me to visit again the next day for free.

One might easily overlook Chekhov's dachshund which is at the entrance of the house. The old lady at the ground floor pointed this out to me.

The drawbacks are that Chekhov's room was not shown during the visit. And the materials in the exhibition hall are available in Russian only. Non Russian speakers should need a guided tour.

From one end of the promenade it costs about 30uah to get there by taxi and it's not far to walk down to the other end of the promenade from there. Don't miss the statues of the two main characters in the story 'The Lady with the dog' about midway of the promenade.

Visited May 2012
Whidbey Island, Washington
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 564 helpful votes
“Worth the experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were the only people at the museum & house and enjoyed the film about Chekhov and his work. This is a privately run place, no government interference so it is well organized.

Visited May 2012
Saint Francisville, Louisiana
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Back in time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Amazing view and lots of historical features, it is a guided tour but it is given in three languages , very casual and interesting

Visited July 2011