“Tour to Balaklava secrete nuclear submarine base and sevastopol”

Sergey Tsarapora Yalta and Crimea Private Tour Guide
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Yalta
More attraction details
Owner description: Private guides of Sergey Tsarapora offer group and private tours in Yalta - Sevastopol and Odessa with individual timing and tailored themes. Private guides will show you Yalta, Sevastopol, Balaclava, Livadiya, Massandra, Alupka, Bakhchisaray. We can suggest you a personalized program in accordance with your interests, wishes, profession, age, number of people, mobility, and/or time frame, to the known and secret sites. Where else can you sit in Stalin's armchair on the terrace of the palace once owned by Prince Yusupov, who was married to a Russian Tzar niece and was an assassin of Grigori Rasputin, the favorite of a Tzar’s wife? Nowhere but here! We shall take you to the places with the stories of their own, visited by Anton Chekhov, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), Leo Tolstoy, Alexander Pushkin, Sergey Rachmaninoff, Joseph Stalin, Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill. You will see the land of 2.500 years of history of European and Muslim civilizations. You will be impressed by multiformity of architecture styles in Crimea, by beauty of its scenery, by richness and significance of its historic and cultural heritage that we shall be delighted to help you to discover. Sincerely, your private guide Sergey Tsarapora.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Together with a group of friends I spend 1 week travelling in Ukraine. We started off in Kyiv and we drove all the way down to Crimea with 2 rental cars. During our stay in crimea we liked to visit some places that had our interest like the nuclear submarine base which was used during the time of the cold war. So, via searching on google I encountered Sergeys website and we agreed on doing the tour, next to the nuclear submarine base I requested some other sites that were interesting. We had to do a prepayment of 100 Euros via Western Union, but this seemed to be a little problematic since I did not have an account there and it takes time, which we did not have. So, in the end I did not do the prepayment and assured we would be present for the tour.

Everything was fine in the end, we made the appointment to meet at the nuclear submarine base location and the guide and driver were there already when we arrived, 10 minutes before the agreed time. The guide spoke english very well and had a lot of information, also about the sites we visited in Sevastopol, so we had a good experience. Most impressing to us where the nuclear submarine base (english guide was convenient, since the written information was only in Russian, however in the future english information might be available). And also the panoramic painting in Sevastopol striked our imagination. The painting with different battle scenes from the 349-day siege of Sevastopol looked to be alive since the painting was continued in 3D objects standing in from of the painting.

All together I could recommend doing this tour. You get a very good impression about the region and its history.

2  Thank Gert-Jan t

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were cruising on the Viking Lomomosov and had booked Sergey to meet us in Sevastopol via Internet - based on reviews and our usual preference for individual travel vs. a group bus tour. We were glad we did so. Our meeting was punctual and precise. The first stop was the Panorama Museum. We were lucky to be the only tourists in the building, allowing us to view and speak unhindered. This is where Sergey first demonstrated his knowledge of and enthusiasm for his subjects.

We drove to the former Russian Naval Base at Balaclava. The base was closed to the public but open to a private group that was just departing; the site about to be locked. Sergey was resilient and resourceful. He managed to hurry us to a 2nd entrance and managed to show us enough of the base for us to be content that we'd seen it.

We finally spent a considerable amount of time in and overlooking Tennyson's "Valley of Death" a site of interest to us and of great import to local history. Sergey went out of his way to lead us through the vineyards to show is a "hidden" monument. We had a wide ranging discussion (us mostly listening and learning) of the history of the area and it's nuances.

Time flew rapidly and we had spent over 4 hours instead of the agreed upon 3 hours. Sergey never hurried our tour (despite having to drive home to Yalta), declined to increase his fee (giving us considerably more than expected) and completed a very satisfying afternoon without any haste.

Our only regret was not having booked Sergey for our stop in Yalta.

Highly Recommended.

2  Thank OddZeus
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I booked Sergey online. I organised my dates of arrival into Simferopol on train from Odessa to arrive on a Tuesday for a pick up at the train station, a tour of Yalta and a drop off at the airport.

Sergey suggested the train arrival times and all was fine he assured me.

However on the Sunday he emailed to cancel the transfer suggesting I hire a taxi or a trolley bus and he would guide me in Livadia.

he new I was coming in on the train that morning and out on the plane that night. He knew I didn't speak Ukrainian or Russian so to suggest that, with all bags in tow, one does a day trip by trolley bus or taxi is a little unsettling.

With some rather strong email correspondence, and with a draft of this review, together with a ink to the Wikipedia page about me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_MacLeod), Sergey changed his mind and said he would go ahead with the tour as 'I was interesting'.

While ultimately he went ahead with my tour, which was good, I can't help but think what would have happened if I was not 'interesting'. I would be cautious.

He didn't steal money, but he did threaten to cancel at the last minute. I can provide copies of all emails and correspondence to people who want to see it.

Visited May 2013

4  Thank Andrewmm29
ChrisShaul, Owner at Sergey Tsarapora Yalta and Crimea Private Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

We are thankful for everybody for any new experience for us.
We are surprised, that so experienced in business person do not understand, that need a deposit or any another warranties to send a car for 200 km.
But after several days of communication, our requests and proposals, he hadn't found possibility to sent a little deposit for petrol payment. But have sent his "reputation" on Wikipedia on the last day, and that became a reason for us to send a car without the deposit.
Though the most people understand for what necessaries need a deposit in this situation, when need to send a car to another town.
Finally we are happy, that his tour "was good".
Possible we need to write on our website: "We ask deposits only from people, who are not in Wikipedia".

We can provide copies of all emails, correspondence, SMS and pictures to people who want to see it.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We met Sergey' s guide Elena as we got off our cruise ship, she was waiting for us, she spoke perfect English and was incredibly informative and very passionate about her country. We booked a tour to see Livadia palace, swallows nest, massandra wine estate and a few cathedrals. Unfortunately we could not do the tour of the wine estate as we did not have enough time (it takes about an hour and a half) but Elena took us and showed us the building and we got to buy some wine from the winery. Swallows nest was just breathtaking and Elena arranged for us drive right up to it, there are a few hundred stairs, which takes about and hour and a half to walk from the bus tours. Livadia palace was also so interesting and truly beautiful. Our 12 year old enjoyed the tour, but a bit of a stretch for our 7 year old. I would highly recommend Sergey's tour of Yalta.

2  Thank Vivienne J
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We arrived early morning in Simferopol by train and had a pick-up arranged by one of Sergey's drivers. Sadly we had a small miscommunication due to this ("Lenin statue" - we thought there would only have been one and forgot about the other comments, like 'near railway station' and 'sitting', so we arrived at the wrong place..), but eventually we found each other.

His driver knew no English but a little bit of German, so we could communicate.

Then we met Sergey in Yalta and he took us around for 1x9 hours and 1x10 hours.
This was very long, especially since we had a rough night in the train, but we wanted to get the most out of Crimea as possible.

And we did, I truly believe did. He was helping us decide what to see and how to get most of the trip. He helped us translating, gave us a lot of background information about the sights(never knew somebody could know this much in detail..) and answered all questions we asked, including current situation in Ukraine, politics and life in general.
His English is very good and easily understandable by us.

All in all - he gave us two perfect days.

As a side note to booking him: we had contact by email and he is quick to respond and good in elaborating.

4  Thank IvoM86