“A GREAT taste of home!”
Review of Tex-Mex BBQ - CLOSED

Tex-Mex BBQ
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Welcome to TEX-MEX BBQ and to little America! We are Owned and Managed by our Chef who is an American. We proudly serve authentic Texas style BBQ food, Grilled American USDA Black Angus Steaks, Brazilian Steaks and Southwestern Mexican food. We hold an American Standard Kitchen, proper food handling and our food is bought fresh daily! We also provide true American style of service... another words you are our #1 Priority! We pride ourselves on our American Atmosphere which includes Country and Rock Music played threw-out the restaurant and Bar.Come Experience America... NO VISA REQUIRED!
Reviewed November 24, 2013

There is something great to be said for a restaurant when you walk in and are greeted by the owner, Mike (the tall guy with the black hat and the Bud in his hand) with a big, friendly, "Welcome home!" No sooner did we sit down and we were given cheese quesadillas and apple slices with cinnamon...on the house! We had read other reviews, and were expecting great things. Mike did not disappoint!

It was hard to decide what to order. I was torn between a chicken chimichana and the ribs that so many people before had said were so good. We ordered the chicken chimichanga, but also a small portion of the ribs to see how good they really were.

The chimichanga was good. Not great, but good. I am very particular about chimichangas. As Mike explained to us, he does what he can with what's available, and Ukrainians tend to be very sensitive to spicy food. No problem.

Oh, but the ribs! The ribs were OUTSTANDING! Likely the best I have ever had. I wished I had gotten the full order! The ribs alone are worth another trip to Lviv.

The only small, small disappointment I had was that we were in Lviv, and they don't serve Lvivske 1715 (my favorite Ukrainian beer). Instead, they serve Chernigivske (my least favorite Ukrainian beer). That's OK though, the ribs made up it.

Also, to add to points for a friendly atmosphere, the guy at the next table started talking to us, clearly a regular, was raving about the "American style" beef and cheese varenyki, and he offered me one from his order. They were fantastic. They tasted like mini-chimichangas (the GREAT kind).

Overall, this is the best restaurant that I have been to in Lviv, and among the best in all of Ukraine. It was great to have a truly authentic taste of American food in the heart of Ukraine. Considering the quality and quantity, it was surprisingly easy on the wallet too.

Mike is a great host, and we even bought a USA/Ukraine flag as a one-of-a-kind memento of our years in Ukraine. I will recommend Tex Mex BBQ to all our friends that travel to Lviv from Kyiv, and will likely try to get back after the new year.

Thanks Mike!

1  Thank TStone102474
There are newer reviews for Tex-Mex BBQ

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The effort to provide Tex-mex in Lviv really is a valiant one! And the owner really probably does do the best he can with the limited local supplies, but for anyone who's been to Tex or Mex, its just not the real thing. Better go out for perogies unfortunately. The owner too is a bit overly interest on checking up on you but I suppose that's good customer attention.

1  Thank jasminew1
Denvermike66, Owner at Tex-Mex BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear jasminew1,
This is Chef/Owner Michael. I just wanted to clarify a few points you made about my restaurant.
1. "for anyone who's been to Tex or Mex, its just not the real thing." What do you consider Tex-Mex? Now we are TEX-MEX "BBQ". We serve Texas style food and Mexican food...not "Tex-mex" food! Did you try my BBQ Ribs? What did you eat here?

2."Better go out for perogies unfortunately." Too bad you gave up so quickly... we have great American Steaks, BBQ Ribs and Chicken! Nope... stick your perogies instead!

3."The owner too is a bit overly interest on checking up on you but I suppose that's good customer attention." I do check often on tables and yes... it is called "good customer service!" You probably don't know what that is because you are used to "Soviet Service'. Well we don't give crap service! By the way...when I was at your table, why didn't you say something to me personally? See... in good old American Service, if your not happy with your meal, I would have taken your meal off the check.
Best of luck in your future dinning experience and don't go to America... you will hate the service there!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

When we arrived in L'viv we happened across this place on the second day. We had their ribs, and enjoyed every fall off the bone bite of it. That and their Cajun Creme Brulee had us wanting to come back. And despite only staying 1 week, at the end of the week we were still hankering for more ribs, so we did :)

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Okay, so this place is really american style ! The food is inspirred of american cuisine and the beer is Budweiser. I can't complain about anything other than the owner. His got drunk while we where there and 'party-crashed' every table and was not talking very nice of ukrainians. He was to much a really loud and anoying. The other staff on the other side, was really nice and really serviceminded.

2  Thank Bailando81
Denvermike66, Owner at Tex-Mex BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

My apologizes mate!
My first child was just born!!
The Ukrainians have a tradition to get the new Dad very, very drunk.
Every man insists that you do a shot of vodka to her health!
Needless to say as an American... we can not hold our vodka like the Ukrainians can!
As for the ill sayings about Ukrainians, it is more towards business, Government and the old Soviet mentality.
Not to the Ukraine people!!!
Everyone knows this about me and that is why I am here.
To show them a "Westerns way of thinking and doing business."
TEX-MEX BBQ has become very popular with the locals because of it.
Thank you for your comment.
Again sorry if I offended you in any way!
Slava Ukraine!
Chef Michael

Reviewed September 26, 2013

It's odd to think of Tex-Mex and BBQ as ethnic food, but in the context of Ukraine it certainly is. There's probably a million challenges to doing a restaurant like TexMex in Lviv, but as an ethnic restaurant there are two big ones. First; does it taste as it should? Second: is it accessible to the local palate?

I can say I would be a regular here if this restaurant were at home back in the US. The service and the food are both great. They have a few "Ukrainian fusion" recipes which are like "gateway dishes" for the Ukrainian palate, but that door swings both ways here since the BBQ Borscht is an inspired creation that could easily be a "gateway dish" for Americans to Ukrainian food -- that one is not to be missed.

When I think Texas BBQ I usually think beef, brisket in particular. But the emphasis here is on the wonderful local pork, ribs and even a great pork chop. The Ukrainian pork tends to be very lean, so the ribs are not the least fatty and Michael (the chef/owner) somehow manages to cook them "low and slow" so they are not dry and are tender. The spicy bbq sauce is maybe medium by US standards, but the flavor is wonderful and particularly on the ribs it coats the meat nicely without ever getting burned.

To top things off, the prices here are surprisingly moderate and the quality is uniformly high. What a great addition to Lviv's restaurant scene and a great representation of American food and service!

1  Thank smccallister