“Great location but horrible beds!”
Review of Hotel Venera

Hotel Venera
Hotel Venera
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Zadar
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great location but horrible beds!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Location was great. It's true that there are noisy bars right around the corner, but when we closed the windows and Turned on the the AC, it was fine. The staff was ok, nothing extra provided, just key and map. Not very welcoming but just ok. The main reason I would not recommend this place are the beds. We asked for one big bed instead of two, and what we got was two double beds stacked side by side, but not padded, so you could not lay together in the middle. On top of that, the mattresses were so old and springs cut into my ribs when I lay down. I had to take off the sheets and put two blankets under sheets, just to bear through the night. Room was tiny, just enough for beds and one nightstand, and tiny desk. Unless they change their beds, I advise you to stay away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floor and as close to reception as possible, that means it'll be furthe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great location, right in the heart of the old town. Zadar is such a beautiful city, loved visiting it and will be back. Room in hotel was below average, barely functional. Shower was broken. It was a twin room and one mattress was well worn, springs visible below the sheet. Other than that, the family working there/owners were very nice and helpful. It was also a quite spot and cool room with aircon. Wouldn't stay here again I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Didn't view any other rooms.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Zadar hotels

dublin
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night. Our flight arrived into Zadar early afternoon and we decided to stay one night rather than immediately moving on. We were not disappointed Zadar is lovely, don't miss the sunset that Hitchcock waxed lyrically about! In the evenings everyone gathers at the end of the pier to watch the sun disappear below the horizon and the sun sculpture light up, v special. Zadar is small though and one day is enough.
We decided as we were only staying one night that we should stay in the old city rather than having to walk into it a lot. There is very little affordable accommodation there so we went for Hotel Venera which had average reviews and was mentioned in the lonely planet. It was very basic, very old decor and furniture but quite clean and fine for one night. That said it turned out Zadar was much smaller than we thought and we realised we could have easily paid the same for accommodation outside the old city and it would have been a lot nicer. I would advise others to stay outside the old city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DublinBathy
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Venera for one night. Good location and a standard equal to the price. Shower did not work properly. We booked a double room but got two single beds. One night at this hotel is ok, but I would have stayed another place if we were staying in Zadar for several days

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel is totally fine for what it is. It's very basic, but you do get what you pay for, and the location really can't be beat. It's also quite clean (cleaner than a lot of expensive hotels I've stayed in,) so really I can't complain! I stayed here with a friend for four nights, and it served its purpose well. I am glad, however, that I wasn't with my partner, as it's not very romantic - basically one step above a hostel. However, most of the other accommodation in the old town IS hostels, so I think we really lucked out with Venera. The rooms are a decent size with loads of storage, the bathroom is quite small but not bad. I did notice a lot of noise at night, but not from the bars nearby, from the seagulls that screeched all night! The towels are quite small - if I'd known I might have brought my own. Also they don't clean the rooms daily, which is something to keep aware of. The staff was friendly, and the owner had a darling tiny puppy who would greet you sometimes in the morning. I would stay here again - the city is so beautiful it really doesn't matter where you sleep, we were happy to go out and see it every day!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

i only need somewhere to sleep and wash in any town i visit.being centrally located is important for me,as i like to wander around town without incurrring taxi fares.the airpoprt bus <25kuna>stops outside the city walls leaving a5min walk to find the hotel,located in a tiny sidestreet.as there was no discernible sign saying 'hotel',i walked past it before realising "that must be it".as previously described,facilities are the very,very minimum.got the impression that 'only the least will do'.hangover from communist times?i did not want to spend a second longer here than i had to ,which necessitated leaving early <to get breakfast nearby>and only returning when 'dog tired'.luckily for me the location could hardly be better ,as everything is a stones throw from this 'hostelry'.whoever gave it 2stars must have been working on some 'other' rating system.did'nt really notice any kind of alternative accomo to suit me,so the hotel 'chooses' itself and in retrospect if returnimng ever to this wonderful city,i'd have to choose the same hotel for my purposes!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank geeteeski
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed here for one night and found the room to be of a good standard. It was small but well designed to have ample space for storage. The heating worked well, there was a small desk, great wifi, hot shower and of course well located. Have to say the bed was a bit ordinary and the staff member who initially checked me in seemed irritated because she said she was tired but it made me feel slightly uncomfortable. Noise was not a problem for me but I could understand other people having issues as the nature of the location (cobblestone walkways in alleyways) enhances general noise. It was a bit difficult to find and the signage of the hotel was not obvious. I would recommend the hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo