“Don't stay here!!!”
Review of Hotel Donat

Hotel Donat
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Zadar
Reviewed August 19, 2012

One of the worst experiences of my life. I booked my romm through hotels.com and they spent hours saying they could not find my reservation. I offered to pay for the room again just to stay they said they had no rooms. So I called hotels.com and they fixed it ASAP and suddenly they had rooms. They only had double rolls so they upgraded for free. But the next morning they told I had to switch to a double romm since they one available now and I only paid for a single. The person who checked me in knew my girlfriend was with me but I agreed since I had no choice. The same day I came back to my room to find ants in tr room. I called te front desk and told there was nothing they could but come and kill the ants and tomorrow I could talk to manager about compensation. They brought me bottle of raid and I killed the ants my self. I came to talk to manager the next day and when I jaded about what they could do to compensate he asked if the girl standing with me was with and and said yes he said well u need to pay for her too. So I will put u in a double room thinking he was taking care of me since I had the ants instead try charged me double for my stay since I had 2 people in the room. They have the worst customer service and are not worth the money stay some where else they dot take care of ou like they should. The worst experience of my life!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Wgarder22

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have just spent a week in this hotel and we were very dissatisfied by the choice. Tho location of the hotel is good, see is great with some waves in the afternoon but that is about all that is good about this hotel. Receptionist were older and turned a cold shoulder when we came with first question regarding services.

Our room in Donat II was large enough but overlooking the "technical" side of the hotel (at least it was quiet, unlike the rooms by the pool), plus it desperatelly needed renovation.

Food looked good at the first look, but if you started with lunch, at dinner you started to see that there will not be much variety. There is no variey at all for breakfast. It was always the same thing, food was oversalted and quite a few times it looked to be "recycled" (like salami, hams and cheese from breakfast used in pasta salads for lunch and gratined for dinner). The last day curd pie was spoiled and all our family got stomach sick on our way home thanks to some of the food we ate at the last breakfast. (try driving over 900 kilometers in a puked over car courtesy of our 3 yrs old daughter).

Overall facilities are next to none. One swiming pool and that is it. No playground, no pool for small kids. All other possibilities like kiddy rides and playning automats are for 5 kuna.

As usual, the travel agent that sold us this vacation overrated the hotel and missinformed (ot has not informed us at all) about the negative sides, even though we placed direct questions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lockdalf
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hotel Donat offer a good vacations for low cost. What was wery important for us, they accepted our guide dog. Rooms are clean small with used furniture, what ins`t problem if you don`t want stay in room whole vacations what wasn`t our case. The food was excelent. Wery well cooked.
Soft drinks are poor quality and by pool bar for some reason wery sweet you need mix tham with water. Beer was OK. Sorry for hotel management but wine was not drikable. What is best that hotel is directly on beach, has it own pool.

Cons are that clenaning service dont let you go in in wet swimsuites what is sometimes problem if you need to go on toile quickly and bar is also inside. Receptionist are not so well informed about trips, sport activities. I was missing clock at bar or reception.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michal K
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent our holiday in hotel Donat last week and we are really satisfied with everything.
We had a nice large enaugh room for 3 people (2 adoults and 1 child). Our room had a big balcony with 3 chairs.
The hotel is very clean, the staff is very friendly so that we felt like we were at home. Theye serve delicious and miscellaneous food. Every day there was at least one tradicional dish and every day there was fish prepared at least on 3 different ways.
The see was very clen there was no trash in see or on the beach. On the beach you can lie on the sun or undar the trees in the shadow.
I am shure that we will go back to hotel Donat on Borik - Zadar.

Room Tip: Rooms in hotel with restaurant are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Vidovič L
Reviewed September 10, 2011

the location of this hotel is good. te sea is beautiful and clean (blue flag)...but the hotel is terrible. itl needs renovation. rooms are very small, not suitable for a family with little children. furniture is old. in our room the wardrobe was broken down, the windows was terrible. we found some corkroaches in our bathroom.
it is called family hotel but there are'nt a pool for babies, a playgrund, baby food or any facilities for children.
the most disappointing was the staff at the reception. no english speaking, rude receptionists!
I dont't recommend this hotel(maybe for your enemies:)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Lucerna L
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Hotel Donat 1 (because there is a much more modern Donat 2, formerly called Puntamika, serving groups from Hungary and Slovakia) is frozen in time. I got a very small, single room, 133, at the first floor, and even if I do not mind Spartan accommodation (I was born in the 60s, I am used to bad hotels), there are a few drawbacks I have to list here:

1. No such thing as customer service. The only plus point was a fine young lady who spoke excellent Italian (my native language) at the reception desk. She looked and sounded quite martial, but that's ok, she listened and solved a problem I had with the water heating in my room.

2. No air conditioning except in the room, and totally inadequate in my room.

3. Old pillows, old linens, old blankets, old television set, no batteries in the remote.

4. The beach behind the hotel...well, I think it takes a flight of fantasy to call a concrete floor at the end of a dried lawn a beach. I have to reckon that Zadar is mainly piers, stoney beaches and concrete slabs though.

5. The only part of the room that was cleaned every day was the bathroom. Fortunately, because the bathroom was small and very Tito-style.

6. This does not apply to this specific hotel alone, but generally to all tourist hotels nowadays, but I have the feeling that solo travelers like me are considered second-class tourist, but we pay more for a room, generally, since most of the time we have to be in a double-bed room adapted for one. Not in this case, however, the room only had one bed with a spring box that made my army bunk bed seem a luxury in comparison. At the end of the trip my back ached a lot.

7. About the substantial breakfast at Donat 2, well, it is undoubtedly a lot of food, too bad that they had croissants the first day only and I could never find a coffee spoon.

In conclusion, if you are into masochism and want to taste a flavor of pure former Yugoslav discomfort, stay at the Donat 1, and book several months in advance as I did. For only EUR 68.19 a day for 5 days, you will be sure to never forget this experience and never come back.

Ah, I forgot, when I said goodbye, no one said goodbye in return.

Apart from that, Zadar is lovely, the food in restaurants is excellent and I was visiting my best friend, which is the only thing that really mattered to me.

Room Tip: If they put you in a room at Donat 1 and you find it insufficient, complain. There are plenty of roo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Cintoli
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Reasonably priced hotel for the area. It's a bit of the beaten track but the bus services are good and you can get there from the bus/ train station in about 20 mins. The location on the seafront is quite beautiful but as others have noted it's a rocky beach. The hotel itself us part of the 'borik' or 'fulmination' chain dotted around this holiday park. The Donat is certainly the poor cousin, it's drab a dated, the rooms are grubby and the Mosquitos are a bit of a nuisance. Dinner, breakfast and Bar to 10 pm were included in my rate. The dinner wasn't bad, for a one night stopover, but the breakfast was pretty inedible. All in all I'd rate this place average enough, more backpacker than sun vacation. It was better than some places in Laos or Cambodia if that's the Market they're after. Ps. Reviews below (June/July '11) were very helpful and pretty close to the mark.

• Stayed: July 2011