“Rude service!”
Review of Hotel Scaletta

Hotel Scaletta
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Pula
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I come from Pula but live in UK. I went to Scaletta with my partner as this was recommended as one of the nicest restaurants in town - very wrong statement!!!! I haven't stayed in the hotel but only used the restaurant for an evening dinner. Prices were same as England if not slightly higher and I expected WOW factor for such a small restaurant (in such a small town) and apparantly one of the best restaurants! Firstly, we asked for italian wine and asked the waiter to describe the wine (taste) and his answer was 'Buy it and then you'll know!' If I am spending money on the most expensive wine in the restaurant, I'll expect a different answer! Secondly, our starters were so huge that could be served as main course and waste of money by ordering it - but tasted ok, nothing amazing. Then I've ordred steak and specifically asked to be cooked well done - it wasn't and I had to take it back! And when I got it back, my potatoes were absolutely cold and dinner was ruined! Thirdly, we asked what is Dream of Cheese (as a dessert) and once again, waiter didn't have a clue what cheeses are to be served - very dissapointing. And lastly, we left a restaurant after spending significant amount of money and there was no one person in the restaurant (not even behind the bar) to say 'Goodnight'. We did pay but I could have just walked out!
People from Pula don't go there because of the service and prices are too high - this restaurant only had foreign travellers as guest who are paying too much for the food which can be found in so many different restaurant, and if I knew that, I would have chosed another place called Stari Grad which is absolutely amazing comparing to this....... If you can avoid it, don't go there!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PulaCroatian

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We spent one night at the start of our trip around Croatia. Arrived on a Sunday afternoon having communicated directly with the hotel to make a reservation (and negotaited a discount!). We checked in, small hotel, clean and in a good location for exploring. Within a couple of minutes of going into our room (small but functional with a great shower), we popped out to reception to ask a question but there was no one around! You get a key that locks the front door and being a Sunday I guess there was no reason for anyone to stay. We had a great stay in Pula, fantastic ice cream and a good wonder around town. Had a really nice breakfast, they have a great coffee machine and you can just help yourself. We got some good advice on hotels for our next stop and got a code for free internet access. Would recommend this hotel for a short stay in Pula. Turned out to be the best breakfast of the whole stay! The menu at the restaurant looked good but we didn't try it as we only had one night and wanted to eat in the town centre.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geronimoturtle
Reviewed August 14, 2009

After a panic intially with the parking, we turned up in the middle of the day with all the daytrippers visiting the Arena, which is just a stone's throw away. Our room wasn't ready so we sat in the small airconditioned restaurant part in a seperate building on the street to wait and get some dinner. The food was really delicious and was so good we kept going back for more and eventually went through everything on their menu. I believe it's rated as one of the best restaurants in Istra.

The hotel itself is located up a number steps (think they date from Roman times) off the street, wide and well lit though is not suitable for people with mobility problems. The hotel has airconditioning throughout which is great when it's 36 degress outside. The rooms, though small are very comfortable with a great bathroom, flat screen TV and of course, airco! The staff are sooooo friendly both in the hotel and the restaurant and has a lovely atmosphere. Breakfast definately above average and they have a top notch expresso machine for caffine addicts.

NB The parking is holy hell if you are there in the day but by 4 ish it decreases dramatically and parking outside the hotel, even with all your stuff bulging out of it is not a problem. And it's free :)

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ilah2001
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Walked the wrong way when leaving the bus station and took over an hour to find the hotel rather than the 10 minutes it should have, as it was rather hot this had me arriving in not the best of moods. The hotel itself is fine though, room was on ground floor and had 24 hour "casino" across the road but noise level was OK - could shut the windows and put on the air-con which was very welcome. It also has a good location, 5 minutes from the Arena. Breakfast and staff were fine, just seemed quite pricey for what it is.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Calgacus
Reviewed July 11, 2009

More of a pension than a hotel, Scaletta was a very decent way of spending our one night in Pula. I wouldn't say the hotel gives you any more reason to stay more than one night in the town (a few old streets are nice for an evening walk, amphitheatre is worth a quick 10 minutes, but that's definitely it).

I liked our airy, modern but nicely designed room very much - though perhaps it was a little bit noisy with the traffic from the street. Didn't notice any problems with the bathroom or the water supply as another reviewer posted.

Was slightly surprised to be asked to pay in cash to received a 5% discount, but I guess that's the way of it at these small hotels. It was slightly hard to track down anyone at reception as the lady in question was either chatting to friends over the road or dealing with the restaurant. As other reviewers have mentioned, you get given a key to both your room and the front door - you come and go as you please. Not really the sort of place where you can expect advice on restaurants or sightseeing - not that kind of personalised service.

Didn't get the chance to sample breakfast as we had to get an early ferry out of dodge city. We did ask for an early breakfast, and, reasonably, were offered a packed lunch instead, which was perfectly acceptable. It was waiting for us when we left the next morning.

Location is pretty good, just a few minutes from the amphitheatre and then another 5/10 minutes from the nice streets in the centre. Overall, recommended.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neil_Wotan
Reviewed June 12, 2009

The service was friendly but unobstrusive. Despite requesting a single room, I was allocated a double room at the single room price. The room was clean and tidy but it did have a lingering smell of cigarette smoke. If you are a non-smoker perhaps they have special rooms.

Breakfast was pleasant. There was a toaster available along with hard boiled eggs and the usual display of cold meats and cheese. The coffee machine wasn't quite up to the job of a hotel but the staff dealt with requests as quickly as possible.

The bathroom was spacious with a large corner bath with very hot water.

The hotel is an easy walk to the centre, past the stunning Roman amplitheatre. It is also a five minute walk from the bus station. Very convenient for travellers on foot.

A bit old fashioned in that my towels were changed everyday and the bedding once during my four night stay which wasn't really necessary.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Meagen_S
Reviewed November 12, 2008

Conveniently located, it’s a small and very friendly hotel. Note there is no elevator, though there are only a few flights of stairs. The rooms were reasonably sized, very clean and comfortable. Good breakfast. We thought it excellent value for money. Though no off street parking, they had a number of places reserved on the street out front of the hotel for hotel guest's cars. There was also a computer in the reception that we could use FOC for emails & internet. Also there was a fine restaurant downstairs, as well as a small mini market just down the road. We'd have no trouble returning to Hotel Scaletta.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple