“Very Tasty - big starters!”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #35 of 403 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional bosnian cuisine,meet and vegetarian dishes
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Before we arrived in Dubrovnik we rang up to book a table but when we arrived it turned out there was a new branch that had just opened under Hotel Lero nearer to the Lapad area of the city. This was much nearer to our apartment so we chose to eat here instead and transfer our booking. We ate here twice. On the first night it was a Saturday and there was live traditional music being played in the corner of the restaurant, which was nice, though my partner found it a little loud at times. My partner had the deep fried dough balls with cheese for starter – there were 6 very large balls but very little cheese and it was quite big for a starter. I had spinach pie, which was lovely but filled a dinner plate! For main he had the Bosnian pot, which normally you need to give 24 hours’ notice for but they advised they had some in stock. He said the vegetables were melt in the mouth but the meat had not been cooked as long as there was still a lot of fat on it (whereas if it was cooked for hours & hours it should have melted) and there wasn’t that much meat, which was disappointing. I had the vegetarian aubergine dish which was really lovely & full of flavour. It was more of a starter size, so I was fine after my huge pie but if I hadn’t had a starter then I would recommend you order a side to go with it. We both managed to squeeze in a baklava for pudding which is not as sweet as the Greek version but that isn’t a bad thing! On the second visit we both had pie (one meat and one cheese) followed by kebab (one half and half and one veg). The meat kebab came with jacket potato and the veg one with rice and it was lovely and very filling, so much so that I wasn’t able to sample another pudding :o( The service was good with all the staff being polite and friendly & we would go back if we were in Dubrovnik.

There are newer reviews for Taj Mahal

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Booked a table here after reading so many rave reviews on Tripadvisor. Inside the restaurant is tiny, if you want to eat before 9pm it is advisable to book. After 9pm the place was mostly empty. Beware! The food here is served in very generous portions. To start I ordered a type of fritter, my husband had tomato soup. The plateful of fritters were served with cream cheese - there was far too much for 1 person and, even with my husband helping out, 2 fritters went back uneaten. The tomato soup was very nice I was told. We both ordered mains of Kebab. I had lamb, my husband turkey & spinach. The lamb was very tender, the turkey was enough for 2 people. Served with a very cold jacket potato, aubergine, peppers & mushrooms. We weren't tempted to book for another night.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

A must food experience in Dubrovonik,It's mostly Bosnian food,but so fresh ,so tasty,and such friendly staff!a word of warning tho,only14 inside tables and few outside,so booking is essential,as it's very popular.we ate there 2 nights and the steaks,one with red sauce the other with onion and mustard topping were fresh,succulent,just melted in your mouth.the wine list is extensive and good.The desserts are on sweeter side but my partner had no problem finishing them,both times!

1  Thank rosem111
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Do not be confused, it is a place serving Bosnian cuisine and definitely worth trying, if you haven't tried cevapci before then it is a must.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The food wasn't bad at all, but it also wasn't good enough to justify the prices. Bosnian/Balkan food is supposed to be (relatively) cheap and plentiful, and this restaurant seems to defy both of these principles. On the other hand, considering the restaurant's location (old city), this is perhaps inevitable.