“Very very good hotel”

Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Very very good hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed one week in Hotel More close to Dubrovnilk the week of 15th of August. I had a lovely stay in this hotel and most of all I have to give compliments to the restaurants and rthe food in the evening at restaurant More, it was just amazing if you like seafood and good meat, everything had a nice taste of barbecue and everything I tried was delicious, I recommend especially the Bouzzara Mussels that were amazing. The hotel in general is very well located in Lapad, the bay is beautiful and I recommend it rather than staying all the time in Dubrovnik, it's a bit calmer than Dubrovnik, in August very appreciable. The bay has the most crystal clear waters ever and the sea is truly amazing. You must know that there are very few beaches around Dubrovnik, and the beaches are not special. Almost all the bays are rocky and that's what makes the sea so beautiful as well. The hotel is not far from two bus stops, very cheap, quick and practical way to get to Dubrovnik. I recommend visiting Dubrovnik as it is absolutely wonderful city full of charm, it reminds me in some ways of Italy with this very particular mediterranean flair, so had the hotel. The room was nice, we had not a seaview room but a nice shower, a jacuzzi in the bathroom, good beds, nothing to complain about. The small beach 'concrete platform' is very agreeable especially when you see all around the crowded beaches or the people lying on rocks, you are just happy to have your space and your chair on this small concrete platform. The only critic I could make is that the platform is open to everybody including people not sleeping at the hotel, this is quite annoying I have to say and it doesn't make you feel secure to leave your stuff lying around. I had the feeling there was not really any control but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, nothing happened to me neither to others it seemed.The staff was very kind in general.The cave bar is very special and very cute at night. I appreciated all the facility and only recommend a stay in this hotel. Do not expext 5 star like 5 star hotels in Greece or Turkey that have enormous infrastructures fitting to everyone's need. Here you will be in a small family run hotel full of charm, it's not to compare but for Croatia this is a true 5 star comparing with other infrastructures :D Expect a small infrastructure with some defects (the swimming pool is very tiny and kinda crap for example) but overall it's a very very good hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank bourlingueuse1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hotel More was in parts lovely - but on the whole I was disappointed. For me, it didn't live up to its 5* rating - or the price.

The good: the location was beautiful - eating breakfast right by the sea, swimming next to the hotel entrance, and sitting in the jacuzzi at night watching the stars and listening to the waves were idyllic. The bus stop was close and buses frequent and very cheap. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean - quite small, but fine for just one person. The whirlpool bath was a fun quirk.

The less good: I felt it was missing many small but important 5* touches - the breakfast choice was limited, the towels were very thin, the private beach was a concrete platform with deckchairs (it felt a little like swimming off of a car park), the shower wasn't very high pressure, the tv reception was poor, there were no tea making facilities in the room, and my 'garden view' was a patio, some metal venting, and weeds. I also wondered how much some of the staff cared about my stay (though I must stress that others - particularly housekeeping - were very friendly). Several days in, I told reception staff that there was some sort of insect in my bed that bit me badly each night (though after extensive searching I found no traces of the thing and the sheets were obviously changed each day, so no idea how it kept getting in). They said I couldn't change room because they were full, and frankly made me feel very foolish for even raising it as an issue (which I'd thought hard about for 3 days, not liking to make a fuss). Leaving me a fruit basket the next night was a nice gesture - but it didn't alleviate any of the pain from the bites. I suppose I don't know what else they could have done if they genuinely didn't have any other room for my last 2 nights (though really, no rooms were kept in reserve? I was in quite a lot of pain and wasn't sleeping well whilst waiting for the next bite). But the experience still left me feeling they didn't care too much about my stay. Indeed, when I checked out, they didn't even ask how my stay had been.

I've been to some fabulous 5* hotels, so my expectations might be too high, but this just wasn't the luxury experience I'd expected.

Room Tip: My garden view room did not have a view of a garden.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Claire B
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights after 7 nights in a small, smelly, noisy, below deck cabin on one of the cruise boats so would've been greatful for anything half decent but we were very spoilt!
We paid an upgrade for a seaview and got a large (almost suite) room with a private jacuzzi on the balcony - very nice. The room was well laid out, clean and spacious.
The cave bar is pretty amazing although the weather was still warm enough to sit out on the quay watching the sun set so we sat there. Drinks were reasonably priced and cheaper than home.
Restaurant was very nice although the service wasn't quite there and there was no break between our starter and main course. Although the food we very nice!!

Room Tip: We paid a pretty reasonable upgrade for a junior suite, well worth it!
5 Thank Kenton A
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Recently returned from a long weekend in Dubrovnik and we stayed at Hotel More. We received a really warm welcome when we arrived and were also treated to a compliamentary upgrade to a delux suite. Had a great stay here, Cave Bar wonderful and watching sunset from balcony amazing.

Room Tip: Delux suite 601 wonderful.
2 Thank nemoie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our party of four arrived on 3rd of September, 2012 around 11:00 at night. The very nice and very apologetic front desk person informed us they did not have rooms, strange since we prepaid with a travel voucher. They were professional enough to make arrangements with the Rixos Libertas Hotel for us. They loaded our bags into the hotel limo and drove us to the Rixos. The very personable limo driver also apologized for the inconvenience. In order to ease the pain of the change in hotels, the Hotel More, invited us to lunch or dinner at the hotel (which we could not do), provided transfer service to the airport upon our departure and gave us a gift bag containing hotel polo shirts. A very nice touch!

Once we got to the Rixos, we were taken care of very well. We were very pleased with the arrangements provided. The manager talked to us several times to make sure we were happy. Actually, once we got here we we glad because the Rixos is closer to the Old City so it made it easier to get around.

This is the thing that bothers me...even though I was happy with the final results. I considered the Rixos for my stay in Dubrovnik. They were having a room rate special at the time so it was a good price for the room. But I wanted a small, boutique hotel experience. So I paid the higher Hotel More room rate to get that experience. It seems to me that the Hotel More makes out on the arrangement. Hotel More gave us extras to make us happy but I would of preferred to get my money back.

I gave three stars because the staff was so pleasant and apologetic...maybe there was nothing they could really do and they tried their best to rectify the situation. Or am I just naive!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Powaycathy
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel More is clean, charming, with friendly, efficient English speaking staff. The breakfasts had choices of cooked eggs to your liking with bacon and mushrooms, fresh and dried fruits, yoghurt, juices, water, sparking wine, tea and coffee however you like it. The views are stunning from the swimming pool and the cave bar. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view and a room in the main part of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Julie H
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here on 2nd Sept, 2012-

I really only have one other hotel in Croatia to compare this to, and that is Hotel Bozica in Sipan, which had better service, better pool and better sea area. However, this hotel was a great base for exploring Dubrovnik- an 8-10 Euro taxi ride each way, and the taxis arrived within a few minutes (summoned for you by the front desk).

We booked very early, and Completely Croatia managed to get us upgraded to the Junior Suite with private Jacuzzi on the balcony, which was fantastic. We went in the jacuzzi every morning and night, and the one day it rained. The suite was roomy and spotless, and the bathroom was luxurious.

Staff were pleasant enough, but never went the extra mile that I expected from a 5-star hotel.They kind of just left us alone unless we asked for anything, which I suppose is good in some ways. When we asked about the side trips, they only had basic information. I would have liked some personal tips, etc. We arrived 10 minutes before the close of the buffet breakfast service on the first day, as we had had no sleep the night before travel. Service stopped at 10:30, and at 10:40, they were clearing everything away. We literally had to gulp down our breakfast and chase the waiters putting away juice, etc. For a 5-star hotel, we felt we should have at least been warned they were going to do this so we could get everything we wanted before we sat down. The breakfast itself was not 5 star standard, either. Runny scrambled eggs that sat out all morning, greasy meat, and stale cereal. The fruit was great, though. Too bad the wasps were all over everything-I would have liked covers on more things, too.

Other negatives:

The pool was very small and freezing cold, even though the days had been 25 C and sunny. We found this surprising. The sea area was too difficult to get in, so we never did. It was a very steep ladder, and I just wasn't comfortable going down it backwards. The other option was walking in over sharp, slippery rocks. It was a shame we couldn't really enjoy the pool or the sea. When we did go to the pool to dip our toes in, both times the towels were not available, and we had to go to the front desk to request them.

Overall, if we hadn't had the suite and private Jacuzzi, we would have been disappointed.