“Average hotel with nice pool area and lack of hospitality culture”

Berkeley Hotel & Day Spa
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Average hotel with nice pool area and lack of hospitality culture”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

What do you expect from “family owned boutique hotel” (as stated at the web site of Berkeley Hotel)? Unique location, high quality design of rooms and qualitative fittings, personal touch, professional and attentive staff with “guest is always right” attitude? If yes, you should go to find another boutique hotel to stay in.

I read carefully reviews on TripAdvisor before booking this hotel and concerned over the way hotel’s management replies to guest reviews with any criticism. I found it rude and unprofessional. (Already waiting for angry comments to my review :-) But I decided to give a chance to the hotel since it could always be inadequate guests who demand a room service or minibar from 2 star motel and you cannot blame the hotel in this case.

The location of the hotel is definitely not central. And definitely not a “boutique” location. One needs a good bus or taxi ride to get to the old city gate. However the street is quiet and a bus stop in 5 minutes walking down the road. The neighborhood is lovely built-up with residential buildings, nothing scary as other guests noticed. Not a lot people on the street in evening, but that is residential part of the city, everybody’s at home. The hotel features handy underground parking that was a key reason I decided to stay there.

The lobby area couldn’t brag about nice décor or cozy lobby-bar. The reception lady was totally indifferent. I wouldn’t say she was unfriendly but I didn’t feel welcomed. She didn’t give us the room key, but already asked, “When will you leave tomorrow?” I believe it could be a reason to ask that question, but it made me completely stunned. I was not checked in but already got a question when will I leave! Later I noticed that there were a lot of different signs forbidding one or another thing. “Do not use this door to access pool area”, “Do not take the food out of the breakfast room”, “Pay the bill day before if checking out before 8 am”, etc. All these small details do not give you a warm welcome.

The room was really spacious with long corridor, sitting area and balcony overlooking pool area. I believe 3 star hotel chain would make 2 smaller rooms out of this one. Or accessible room for handicapped guests. Bathroom was large but with essential things only: wc, lonely shower cabin, small wash basin. Shower cabin looked strange in such large bathroom. What I disliked the most was the sewerage smell. The room furniture was very basic. A large fridge (so called “minibar”) with tea/coffee facilities on top was standing in the middle of the room making a noticeable noise. Air-condition was very effective. The bed was good. Cleanness of the room was so-so.

A great extra of the hotel is pool area with “honesty bar”. Guests are welcome to take snacks and drinks by themselves making a note what they took and what room number they were from in the provided list. Pool area was relaxing, nothing to complain about.

A couple of words about breakfast: it was awful in comparison with other 10 hotel breakfasts I experienced in Croatia during my stays across the country from small B&Bs up to legendary Regent Esplanade at Zagreb. A very limited selection of fruit, cereal, bread rolls and yoghurt was on the buffet. Hot dishes (eggs with 3 filling on your choice) need to be ordered from a gruff breakfast lady. Portions were small and the food was too greasy. Not a good start of the day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Usenko
, Manager at Berkeley Hotel & Day Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and suggestion that we respond to each TripAdvisor review as it makes a difference to TripAdvisor users such as yourself. In the future we will respond to all reviews.

It appears you had a negative opinion of our hotel prior to your arrival and unfortunately we did not change this into a positive opinion during your one night stay with us. I have looked at your comments and will take these into account when we do future renovations in the hotel.

Every hotel has its house rules, one of ours is that if guests are leaving early before 8am that they settle their room bill the night before. I do not consider this as a major inconvenience and we have a sign on reception in this regard to remind guests.

I am glad you enjoyed our outdoor pool area and honesty bar available for hotel guests.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Kindest regards
Katarina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Wigan, UK
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Only stayed for 2 nights but was recognised by the staff on each occasion that we saw them and they always appeared interested in us, remembered where we had planned to visit and when we arrived at 9pm on the first night they even made reservations for us at the Otto Taverna restaurant! Really clean and modern rooms (bed comfier than mine at home), amazing breakfast for the size of the place and great swimming pool area.
The hotel was a good 40 mins walk or 10 mins drive into Dubrovnik. We used the bus once and found it like a sardine can. For not much more I'd definately suggest jumping a taxi!
Fab place - no hesitation in recommending it!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank daveemmerson1978
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and booked it well in advance of our trip. They were very quick to reply to my e-mail inquiry and were able to accommodate our group of 12 (5 rooms). The rooms were very nice, spacious with comfortable large (king) beds, modern bathrooms, air conditioning, and small balconies. The hotel is a small hotel, on a relatively quiet street that doesn't get a lot of traffic, and was about 3 blocks from the bus stop. The hotel staff was very helpful, all spoke very good English, and all of our requests were quickly taken care of. The breakfast was very good and included eggs fixed to order, several choices of fruit and bread, good coffee, bacon, etc. The pool was wonderful, and a great place to relax at the end of a hot day. Our room (for me and my 3 children) had a bedroom, second room (usually a sitting room but had a double or queen fold-out couch for 2 to sleep on), and a small kitchenette with refrigerator. This worked out just great for us (the rest of our group had regular doubles with king beds). The hotel is in the Porto Gruz area, about a 10 minute bus ride from the Pile gate to the old town. I can't say enough about this hotel and can't think of a single negative - just book it! I would definitely stay there again if I ever go back to Croatia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view (may cost a bit more, but worth it). A higher floor would be best.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank StarTree723
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We paid for airport transfers organised by the hotel - he was there waiting when we arrived in a smart Mercedes, an easy 20-25 mins along the coast road to the hotel. Check in was easy and the first of our chats with the staff - exceptional English and very helpful / friendly. Breakfast was fine. Enjoyed the pool area. Our room had a harbour view, was a large suite and had a v large balcony. An easy 10 mins bus ride to the old town, or a 40 min walk not to be attempted when it's hot. There are some restaurants within close walking distance down by the new port, with the better ones round on the opposite side of the harbour facing the hotel. Main bus/coach station less than 10 mins walk. Definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was 22 - large room, suite area and balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nickjmcd
london
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed here a couple if weeks ago and were very impressed. The rooms were clean, smart and cool! Important when it's 90 degrees outside! The staff were really lovely and helpful and friendly at all times. It is a short bus ride to the old town but again the staff will tell you everything you need to know as to his to get there, and how to get to the best beach! One night we went to watch the football but had to come back early due to me being stupid and getting heat stroke :( But they quickly put the football on in reception for my mate while I recovered in the room which was brilliant! A lovely hotel if you want somewhere clean, friendly and safe to stay :)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kittykook
England
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This hotel was a great base for our week in Dubrovnik. It is a short bus trip from the old town, but in honesty it was nice to be able to get away from the crowds. The breakfast that was included in our deal was a great start to the day and took us most of the way through to dinner. The staff were always genuinely friendly and full of helpful advice (in near perfect English). Pool was great and really needed when the weather is in the mid 30s. We had a little difficulty with the A/C in our room, which the hotel did as much as it could to sort out (and apologise for). Even so, it was still a five star stay, given the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jweaver
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We arrived by bus at the nearby bus station at Gruz port. The hotel was 10 minutes walk from there. It's located on a bit of a busy road which is noisy if you have a room with a sea view. The rooms do have shutters and windows which keep the light out if required and keep the traffic noise to a minimum. The area is okay and away from the touristy old town area. You can get there by bus which can be caught at a bus stop 2 mins walk away. They come every 10 mins or so. Check in was fine and the rooms are spacious. You can tell the hotel is a few years old now, as there were a couple of simple DIY issues that needed tending to in the room i.e. the loo seat was a bit wobbly. We also had trouble getting the tv to work and only managed to do so after swopping some leads round at the back. We used the wifi which was a good freebie but did keep cutting out so we had to re-log on. The pool area is very nice and relaxing, but not very big so at busier times you may struggle to get a lounger. All in all I would say the hotel's okay. The best element is the friendliness of the staff. The worst the lack of general maintenance. If you prefer more luxury for a similar price I would suggest somewhere more like the Valamar Lacroma, which is by the beach, has more space, pools and bars.

• Stayed June 2012