“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Perth, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Dubrovnick, and after spending the last four nights at the Hilton Imperial, it will certainly not be our last! This is a first class hotel. All members of staff were incredibly polite and courteous, nothing was a bother to anyone, and they were all very keen to ensure we had a pleasant visit. We had two rooms on the first floor, and although we did not have a sea view , both rooms were a great size, very bright, and most importantly, immaculate! On arrival, there was a slight hiccup with our door locks. This was dealt with immediately , followed shortly by the delivery of lovely fruit bowls to each of our rooms, which was a lovely (and enjoyable) surprise! The breakfast buffet is wonderful. So much choice, with the added extra of freshly prepared french toast, pancakes etc on offer as well.The hotel is perfectly situated for the Old Town giving you easy access to all the main attractions and restaurants. A first class hotel with first class staff! Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Krishanta D, Manager at Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comment regarding your experience at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik.

We are immensely pleased to know that you had a pleasurable experience with us and glad to receive your appreciation for the hotel, staff and the services.

We express our gratitude for the review and recommending us to other travelers. We would love to serve you on your future visits to Dubrovnik.

Krishanta Damunupola

HILTON IMPERIAL DUBROVNIK
t: +385 20 320 352 I m: +385 98 231 250 f: +385 20 320 301
Marijana Blazica 2 I 20000 Dubrovnik I Croatia
hilton.com I dubrovnik.hilton.com I facebook.com/hiltonimperialdubrovnik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Herts
Reviewed March 24, 2013

There's no questioning the fabulous location, close to the old town, the well appointed rooms, nice indoor pool and excellent breakfasts in terms of food. Our issues were all linked to hit and miss service.

Right from the start, check-in took a long time (lots of people arriving off the same flight). We were greeted with 'we have given you an upgrade to an executive room', to which I said that 'we had paid for an executive room'... 'oh, yes - sorry'. Having got to the room, the key cards would not work (which meant rejoining the long queue at check in). The reason was that the room key had not been charged due to a late check-out. But all this meant it was half an hour to actually get into the room. Having read reviews about the lovely executive lounge with first class service, it was disappointing that the lounge had been relocated to a conference room on the ground floor. Service was somewhere between occasional and non-existent. Things were not replenished (including hot water for tea) which meant that one ended up doing the service one-self by going to the bar for hot water. The restaurant was shut in the evenings (a real shame) since the temporary tables by the bar did not have the ambience to command the prices of the restaurant. I mentioned that breakfast was great in terms of food quality; it was quite mixed in terms of service. Fresh orange juice (delicious) is brought round (if you're lucky). We learnt that it was more of a case of getting up and asking rather than waiting. So - great room, lovely location, and I am sure the service would be better 'in season', but for the price we paid, the service and temporary executive lounge simply weren't good enough.

Room Tip: A room with a sea or old town view is a definite bonus!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 5_9_2_8
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I made a fantastic choice in this Hotel. I arrived via the airport shuttle and the bus stops right @ Pile Gate which is the entry point for Old Town. It's a short walk to the hotel - you can't miss it once you get off the bus. The hotel is in a great location with lots of markets right there. I was able to buy snacks and water. You can walk everywhere. You don't need a car for this part of town. The hotel staff was really friendly and very helpful. They helped me arrange a tour to Montenegro, which was not that easy considering it was low season....but they were persistent and I was able to book a tour!!! I was happy!

The room itself was amazing! The bed was soooo comfortable and the bathroom was well equipped with everything including a hair dryer that worked very well. There is free wifi in the lobby area and sometimes I was even able to access it in my room - I was on the 1st floor. The hotel was sparkling clean - which is something I really look for. This hotel has so much unique charm, I enjoyed my stay of 3 nights very much...I wish it had been longer. I highly recommend you won't be disappointed! Oh, and the breakfast was super....lots of choices - and very good!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hawaiiboundToronto
Krishanta D, Manager at Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and hope you had a safe journey back.

We always believes in our guests feed backs as it help us immensely to improve our service standards. We always strive to achieve high standards so that, we could live up to the desired expectations of our valued guests.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik in the near future.

Krishantha Damunupola
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Fantastic location, walking 2 minutes down to the Old Town.

Staff very helpful - my luggage was delayed for 5 days in DXB and receptionists called up to 5 times a day to let me know of any updates.

Wifi was a hit or miss though. It was available in the common areas only.

The breakfast buffet is very complete, and can be enjoyed in the restaurant or outside on a patio as the sun rises. Very lovely atmosphere. High-tea can be enjoyed at the bar. Some small balconies offer outdoor seating.

Spa services were great - we booked a bunch of friends for pedi-mani and really enjoyed the place!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests

Krishantha Damunupola
Coulsdon, Surrey
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As previous reviews have stated, the hotel is very well located for the Old Town - particularly if you are unfortunate with the weather as we were. You can take advantage of any sunny spells and be in the town or up on the City Walls (a must do, even though the price has increased to 90 Kn from this year) within five minutes. Likewise you can dash back through the rain from sightseeing or dining to dry out in comfort - they'll even lend you umbrellas!
Our room was a fabulous corner room with a large terrace and views to the Old Town, the sea and right in front of us, Fort Lovrjenac - which you can visit with the same ticket issued for the City Walls, provided it's within 24hours. Our King size bed was very comfortable, though I'd have preferred sheets and blankets over the duvet - too hot for me personally.
Breakfasts are superb, a great variety of hot and cold dishes, plus more to order. I only wish I'd discovered the pancakes and maple syrup earlier in our stay!
The staff without exception are extremely professional and charming. It's a shame, then, that we felt let down both with the hotel restaurant and most of all with the executive lounge. The restaurant was not fully open due to low occupancy in the hotel (though this was not stated on the website). When not open, tables were laid in the bar area instead. We were pleased, therefore, on our arrival to find that it was open - we had read great reviews and were tired after our journey. Unfortunately only a very small area of the restaurant was being used which had the atmosphere of a library reading room, and we were underwhelmed with the food which was 'hit and miss' at best. My starter of mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes on three wooden skewers stuck in a larger tomato and surrounded by lettuce was amateurish in presentation and tasteless, whereas my main of sea bass with a 'trilogy' of zucchini looked appetising and tasted delicious. My husband's starter of mushroom risotto was excellent, but his monkfish main was bland and boring. With a bottle of one of the cheapest wines the bill came to almost £100. Needless to say we dined out after that.
The other let-down was the executive lounge, which was in a temporary location on the ground floor while it's usual home on the fourth floor is being renovated. Again there is no mention of this on the website, nor were we informed when we booked our executive room, nor when we checked in. I thought, having seen the pictures posted on Tripadvisor (of the original lounge) that this was going to be something special, but, sadly, nothing could be further from the truth. There was a lock on the door which presumably was to enable those with executive room key cards to have access, but this was never in use, so it appeared that anyone was able to use the facilities, whether they were entitled to them or not. The room itself is horrible, pokey and claustrophobic. For the first few days of our stay the complementary soft drinks were rarely replenished - I had to go searching for someone to refill the coffee pot. The snacks were very limited and poorly displayed. Whether due to complaints I don't know, but in the last couple of days the service greatly improved, with staff constantly checking to see if anything was required. Although I understand that the renovations need to be done, there is no excuse for not being forwarned of this when booking a room with this facility, and maybe it would be a better idea to forget about the lounge altogether whilst the renovations are ongoing and instead offer vouchers which could be used in the bar against drinks or coffees.
Despite these couple of glitches, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hilton and would definitely return if we visit Dubrovnik again. The bus from the airport stops almost outside the hotel on arrival, on departure it's better to let the hotel reception organize a taxi as the bus picks up at the cable car station for the return journey which is further away. If you want to rent a car (we were going to but because of bad weather decided against it) there is an office for Sixt rental inside the hotel. The City Walls walk is not to be missed - there are alot of steps, but my husband managed it and he had a total knee replacement less than three months ago! The cable car trip is also recommended for the amazing views. If you visit the maritime museum, Rector's Palace or Rupe museum, the ticket you buy for 70 Kn in any one of them, also covers the other two, something which isn't always made very clear.
Although we travelled in March and therefore weren't so lucky with the weather, we found that there were enough restaurants open, and that attractions such as the city walls were a real delight without the hundreds of tourists I imagine would be a bit off-putting in the season.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a sea view room, and the corner rooms are wonderful - especially tho...
1 Thank Taxidiotissa
Dear Mr Coulsdon,

We were delighted to read that you were satisfied with the services and facilities offered at the Hotel and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind comments. At the same time, we have taken your constructive feed back on board and would definitely strive to improve on the areas mentioned

Mr Coulsdon, once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik in the near future.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Excellent hotel, located 300 yards from the main entrance to the Old Town. All the staff were friendly, polite and very professional, our room with a sea view was lovely and immaculately maintained. Only niggle about the hotel is the cost of wifi in the room, charging for wifi is wrong but at Hilton prices it is outrageous. There is free wifi in the lounge but you do have to ask for the access codes from the front desk. We stayed for 4 days in Mid March, weather varied from chilly and overcast to very warm with clear blue skies. Old Town is fabulous, the wall walk is a must but it is fairly strenuous with a lot of steep steps to negotiate but there are plenty of places to sit and rest should you need them. Even this early in the year there where plenty of people about and Sunday was very busy, according to the locals, peak season (especially when the cruise ships start to arrive) is best avoided, apparently the whole area just becomes gridlocked with coaches and subsequently hordes of people. Lots of restaurants but very few bars, many of the restaurants are really small so it is a good idea to decide in advance where you would like to eat and book a table if possible. Prices varied but are generally what you would expect to pay in London. We ate in Old Town at; the Barracuda, small restaurant, excellent pizza reasonably priced; the Taj Mahal, tiny restaurant, very busy, Bosnean food, big on meat dishes, very good, c£60 with wine: the Dalmatino Konoba, small restaurant but didn't feel too cramped, we stuck to fish dishes which were excellent, c£80 with wine and worth every penny. I think that two whole days would be enough to see and do most things in Old Town but greater Dubrovnik is easily accessible by bus or taxi.

Room Tip: Corner rooms with sea view are excellent but most rooms do not face seawards.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RuhsarE, General Manager at Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for letting others know of your experience at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik.It was a pleasure for me to read that you were very happy primarily with our location , staff and service. We are very proud that our friendly and efficient team members met your expectations.Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Ruhsar Eryoner
London
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Spent last weekend in Dubrovnik and stayed here. As far as a 5-star goes this place ticks all the boxes: comfortable room, great fitness facilities, very good breakfast, friendly and efficient staff and really nice toiletries in the bathroom! I am not giving this place the full 5 starts because:

Wifi is not available in the rooms, only the common guest areas (bar, lobby etc) and at 69 kuna (£11+) for access is a bit extortionate. It fails me as to how an expensive hotes can charge this when just a few meters down the street you can get free Wifi at any number of cafes and bars for the price of a tea. I think that is pretty blatent milking of guests for money.

Upon departing our room when we were doing the last minute one-over to see if we had forgotten anything, we noticed a white box on top of the mini-bar fridge containing half a left over pizza. Obviously this had been left by the previous guest and unless they had it for breakfast the day we checked in it must have been there for its third day. Thankfully it was maggot free but it really did make me question just how thorough the cleaning staff were. I reported this to the front desk upon check-out who did apologize in fairness.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Imperial for your stay in Dubrovnik. I am happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and I’m pleased that you were extremely satisfied with our rooms , breakfast and service in particular.Whilst at present we offer only cable Internet connection in rooms, we have already begun the process of implementing new wireless internet network throughout the hotel which is free of charge in our public areas as from January of this year.
Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention. All guest feedback is extremely important to us, as it is only through constructive criticism that we are able to assess and continuously improve the service standards we strive to achieve.
Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments.
Ruhsar Eryoner