“Pearl of the Adriatic....”
Review of Old Town

$16.76*
Dubrovnik Old Town 1.5 Hour Discovery Tour
Ranked #2 of 176 things to do in Dubrovnik
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Dubrovnik is a remarkably well-preserved example of a late-medieval walled city, with a regular street layout. It’s also a UNESCO World Heritage site. Beautiful inside out. As said it’s a Walled city amazing to experience the life and life style of people there. The hustle and bustle of the crowd during evening and nights is stupefying. Visit to Dubrovnik means visit to the OLD City. There are loads of restaurants and shopping and entertainment things which attracts tourist apart from the history. Stay steps away from the city and enjoy it every hour….It’s remarkable!

1  Thank Nins_12

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Upon entering Old Town, I was totally amazed - like a kid at DisneyLand, it was amazing that this place looked like. Clean white marble/limestone everywhere, and beautiful walls and towers. Even at night, it was spectacular. I totally get that much of the city was destroyed in the wars, but knowing the people of Dubrovnik came together and rebuilt the old city, is such a lovely thought.

In the morning, we noticed the streets were clean and freshly washed, which reminds me of my dishy comment. And though a lot of the stores are touristy, they sell good things you would want, like fig jam and olive oil.

Also love the nearby harbor area, with the lovely boats, and the beaches nearby. We walked around the edge of the walls, where bathers were jumping in the rough waters, which was a bit scary but pretty cool.

Definitely loved my trip to old town.

1  Thank Plahottie
Reviewed January 26, 2014

While backpacking in Prague I met other travelers and they encouraged me to fly to Dubrovnik
as it still retained its culture. Of all my extensive travels, that is the best advice I ever received as
the walled city is beyond words. Loved every minute of it, walked the top of the walls, exterior and
interior. I had no reservations but went to several "help" desks near the old town and finally was
directed to a sobe (room for rent) run by an elderly couple. Had to walk up one hundred plus steps to my room but loved it (a senior). Took a ferry to the nearby island to spend the afternoon
with many beautiful peacocks. Dubrovnik is a MUST see for all travelers!

1  Thank travelskip
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I visited the old town in late October and it was pretty crowded. We actually walked there from the Port of Dubrovnik. The journey took us about 1 hour 15 minutes with brief stops along the way to take pictures. It's a beautiful town. We struggled with deciding whether to take the cable car, walk the wall or a boat tour. The cable car is not worth it for the brief amount of time you get. We walked a small part of the wall which was nice but the boat tour was the absolute best! The views were amazing and we even got to drive the boat for part of the trip. You also have the option of going Kayacking and exploring the many indentations which look quite interesting. Didn't have any time to try any of the restaurants. Alot of the stores were having sales when we went and the sale prices were reasonable. We tried to go into some of the buildings but this was a little difficult due to the crowd. The main street is huge and the area is breathtaking especially after the crowds have left. There are many side streets, some with very steep stairs but it's easy to navigate the area. We would definitely visit again and spend more time visiting the buildings inside the square.

2  Thank Ladykyat
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Before I visited Dubrovnik in September 2013, I had heard a lot of good feedback. The city, its culture, heritage and surroundings proved to be far more beautiful than I had ever expected and exceeded my expactations in every way. I even consider it to be among the most beautiful destinations I have ever visited.
The highlift of every visit to Dubrovnik is its old town which comprises a relatively small area of the city. Protected by massive city walls, the old town of Dubrovnik is mainly surrounded by the sea what makes it look even more picturesque. In order to get a good overview of the city and the entire area, I recommend taking the cable car to Srd mountain from where tourists can enjoy an excellent view.
The heart of old town Dubrovnik is its main street called Placa or Stradun which links Pile gate with Luza square. That’s the area where all the action takes place and where many sophisticated cafes and restaurants as well as numerous shops are located. Bright colours dominate the buildings and pavements. Combined with red roofs and the blue sea in the background, these colours make Dubrovnik look homogenous and exceptionally beautiful. The cityscape reminds Venice, just without the canals.
Several sacral and secular buidlings require a visit: Rector’s palace which was build as the seat of government, Sponza palace, Onuphrius’ fountain, the massive cathedral of Assumption, St. Vlaho’s church, Dominican and Franciscan monasteries etc. The main highlight of the old town in my opinion are the vast city walls. For a fee, they can be walked on their entire length and offer great views over Dubrovnik and its vicinity from different perspectives.
To sum it up, I consider Dubrovnik’s old town to be among the most beautiful attractions Europe has to offer. It’s a city which offers something for everyone: stunning architecture and culture, beautiful landscapes, beaches and a calm sea, fine dining and nightlife. I hope to return in future to experience it again and see more of it.

5  Thank WAW-Traveler