“Great location but not impressed with the host”
Review of Amoret Apartments

Amoret Apartments
Ranked #149 of 496 Specialty Lodging in Dubrovnik
Los Angeles
“Great location but not impressed with the host”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I use lonely planet frequently when traveling and feel like the own of the Amoret property (branka) didn't do much to make us feel welcomed. She did pick us up in front of the cathedral and walked us to the apartment.

The location was great as our unit was located behind the cathedral about 20 meters away from the smaller Buzza Bar. I was traveling with my mom(59) and the location was superb for her considering there can be too many stairs for one to walk. I enjoyed having a drink at Buzza once I dropped her off for the night. Good thing we were so close as the bar does not have restrooms.

Being inside the walls made it easy to walk to Banje beach (only beach within walking distance) and to book day trips outside the port.

The room was very spacious and had a little fridge and oven for self service. A market was located nearby and made it easy to stock up on beverages and a few snacks.

The room comes w a few towels. When showering, be sure to flip the switch for the water heater. This was not told to us and we unfortunately had to learn the hard way.

Branka was not very helpful though she was nice. Again, I think at this point business comes to her from LP and Tripadvisor. She doesn't have to do much to keep business coming. When I asked her where to rent a car she didn't offer any suggestions being a local nor any guidance on Dubrovnik (things to do, see, where to eat).

Be sure to check out the pricing list. Rates are based on the number of nights you book. We were going to stay 4 nights but changed to 3 and the rate increased by 12 euros per night. Also, only cash is accepted (euros and or kunas).

The deck outside wont get utilized so don't use it as a determine factor. Room has great aircon which is a great way to escape the heat. Apartment was very quite.

Overall, don't expect much from the owners but you'll get convenience.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and didn't have a view of anything. I assume ground floor basic room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The locations of the apartments are incomparable. We stayed in Ilije Sarake 4. We had a superior apartment, which had all we needed. Very clean and serviced every 2 days, we could not fault our 5 night stay. Comfortable bed and great little kitchen, so we could do our own breakfast and lunch if we wanted. Beautiful parquet floors and nice art works on walls. The only improvement I could suggest is some comfy chairs would be nice for watching TV or reading. Plenty of room in apt 3 for this.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Amoret Apartments two years in a row, twelve days each time. It is preposterous to even insinuate that there are bed bugs at this place!? I suffer from severe allergies and have never had any problems at Amoret Apartments. The bed mattresses are brand new and the bedding was immaculate (we stayed there recently from June 20th to July 1, 2013). The hostess went beyond the call of duty and helped us to familiarize ourselves with the Old City. I highly recommend Amoret Apartments! I will keep coming to this location over and over!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is another one of those diffusion hotels. Not one location but suites scatterred around. Ours was up a sidestreet in the old city behind the cathedral. It was impossible to locate until I went into a grocery store and they called Branka the owner and she met us there. The GPS is useless in the old cities and tells you to drive into pedestrian zones or off cliffs. Anyway I parked the car at the top of the hill and later parked it about 15 minutes away which was quite a trek. The room is in an old building and was large and sparse. There was a unit with stove, sink and mini fridge. There was no view except another house. It was about 50 ft from an opening in the wall leading to a small bar and rocks from which you could jump into the sea.
The bathroom was another story with the toilet and shower up a step and my wife and I fell several times. The bathroom I think was an afterthought. The room was quiet but I could hear the neighbour's bathroom excursions quite clearly. The location was fine and close to the action. Bakery and Centrum around the corner for food. The crowning touch however to the stay was the 2 cockroaches I killed in the room. I know it is an old city but still I have standards when travelling. Maybe Branka has better suites but I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find out which unit you will be getting. Avoid this one
1 Thank BigV36
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our second time staying in Dubrovnik at this gem of a location. You couldn't ask for a nicer place to stay - clean, comfortable, very reasonably priced - with an excellent hostess, Branka. You will feel like you are part of the family! Amoret Apartments makes you never want to leave. Definitely stay here when in Dubrovnik, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 5, 2013

A reasonable place located within the old city walls, and on flat ground, the access that this place provides couldn't be better. If you're staying for a couple of days, then by all means book this place. Its well located in the old town with a grocery store just around the corner. The apartment itself was nothing great: with no frills, a TV that barley worked (except the 1 time the owner was called to fix it), limited hot water, a tiny badly ventilated bathroom and bed bugs thrown in- it could have been a nightmare had the owner not been so responsive. On our first day there was a stench in the room from the bathroom but it was dealt with within a few hours. She also organized storing our luggage and even called a taxi to drop us to the airport. The fast internet access and effective air-conditioning was another plus.

Our friends and family that have stayed here before had better luck and fewer complaints (they were also located in a different apartment, so my review may not be generalizable). If you're fussy about bathrooms, are sensitive to smells, and want daily cleaning and change of your bedsheets and towels, I would not recommend this place- its far from luxurious. But given the lack of options (price wise) around, and the effort the owners put in, it'll do.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed for five nights in Amoret #1. Loved the location and the feel of the place.
We had a studio apartment that was very clean and spacious with two windows overlooking the Cathedral square.. It was great to see and listen to the activity below while making your lunch!
"how European" The windows are double pained, so when closed it's quite quiet.
The best part was being able to be inside the walled city before and after the regular tourists come in for the day.
Don't miss the sunrise from out on the harbour slowly spreading over the city.
I booked directly with Branka via email and all went well. I asked her to arrange a taxi to pick us up at the airport and drop at the Polce gate and found our way, it was only a 5 minute walk and the taxi driver called her to let her know he'd dropped us off (taxi E20.00)
A bit tricky to find as there aren't big signs with the names on them, but look for the Amoret Konobo (cafe) and ask them, it's right above the cafe.
Wifi was spotty but it was fine
Door locks are tricky, a double twist is needed so don't be afraid to ask how they work!
Thanks Branca