“a very good 3* hotel”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed July 21, 2014

quiet location, very clean, good sized rooms, very polite staff, great sized pool with plenty of beds and towel service, well serviced pool bar and lunch 'cafe', 2 minute walk to the bus stop for the old city. thought the air conditioning could have been better, I prefer manual control over what I guess was thermostat related. Breakfast choice was vast, missing those pancakes! Overall a very pleasant stay, would recommend.

1  Thank James S
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am thrilled that the staff was available to assist you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and if I can ever be of any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

There are newer reviews for Tirena Hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The hotel was lovely and staff were helpful. The place was very clean and tidy. The bar staff were very helpful. It is a quiet hotel and the evening entertainment isn't great but on the whole it is very good. We couldn't complain at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lucy L
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena for your holiday and leaving us such a positive feedback.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in Dubrovnik and Valamar hotels!
Best regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a fantastic stay in Dubrovnik at the Hotel Tirena my daughter and I were pleasantly surprised with the extremely clean hotel, very polite, helpful staff and great food. We were B&B but ate our evening meal in the restaurant a couple of times. The pool was my favourite, plenty of sun beds & clean towels. I loved the aqua aerobics every afternoon. More information on directions to the beaches and the small parade of shops which I found by accident would be useful. Would definitely return again

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jane K

Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us be a part of your fantastic holiday in Dubrovnik.
I am very proud that you enjoyed your stay with us, loved your time at the pool and animation and our food was so great you even dined with us- that means a lot to us.
We hope you will be our happy and satisfied guest again.
Our warmest regards to you and your daughter,

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel was on the whole very modern and clean. The pool area was quiet, clean and safe and the little cafe did some nice lunches. The breakfast was good with a wide choice but the cereals weren't very nice. Also they cook all the hot food on a griddle so vegetarians/vegans would not be too impressed. I think they should cook the eggs, omelettes and pancakes on a separate griddle. We were bed and breakfast but had dinner one night, which was very nice. The reception staff can be a little grumpy as we ended up asking them a lot of questions but all the staff speak excellent English and are on the whole very friendly. You can't get WiFi in the rooms but it works in the lobby.
The bar had very reasonably priced drinks but not much atmosphere - you would have to go into the Old Town for that. There is a small strip of shops by the hotel with some restaurants but it's quite drab - there are much nicer places to eat elsewhere.
Overall the food at the hotel was very good, the setting in Babin Kuk is very pleasant and quiet and is an excellent base for exploring the Old Town of Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room at the front of the hotel as it is very noisy in the mornings.
2  Thank BumbleBumble1989

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing useful tips from your stay in our hotel.
We find your feedback and ideas on how to improve our service very useful and I will make sure to present them to our company food and beverage manager. Thank you!
I was glad to hear you overall enjoyed our service, food, pool area and our friendly staff.
We will be happy to have you again as our dear guest.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,

Reviewed July 15, 2014

i looked at some reviews of this hotel and if it is a glorified hostel as one reviewer said then I would stay in hostels all the time. I have stayed in worse 5 star hotels. The staff at this hotel were great from the receptionist to the house maids, the pool attendants, the maitre'd and the chefs. They were pleasant and helpful.

Yes it is a three star hotel and the rooms reflect that but still they were very clean spacious and well kept. The pool was excellent with fresh towels every day and plenty of sunbeds. The pool food was salads, burgers and sandwiches and they were very tasty

The best bit for me was the food. Yes it is buffet service but the variety and quality of the food was 5 star. II dont know many hotels that will cook whole sea bass!!.Fresh pizzas every night. Good pasta and excellent Croatian style meat and fish. The salads were different every night with lots of choice and very tasty seafood.

I would definitely visit this hotel again

Room Tip: If you can get a sea view the view is superb. Its over woods with a beautiful blue sea and magnifice...
1  Thank Gary W

Dear Guest,
Thank you for this fantastic review! It is always a personal pleasure and a great incentive to our whole staff to read that our guests had a beautiful time, enjoyed our service and food, hotel and the pool area. And when it comes from a well-traveled person such as yourself- our pride is even bigger.
Thank you choosing hotel Tirena for your holiday, and I really hope to soon see your e-mail in my inbox to help you with your next booking.
Until our next encounter please let me extend warmest regards from whole Tirena staff and myself!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently and I was pleasantly surprised. This little location is perfect as it's only a 15 minute bus ride from the old town.

Good points:
Clean, tidy and a very nice location. The Hotel was well maintained and some nicely kept trees and green spaces. Separating other hotels. The important parts like the room were pleasant cleaned daily and we had a quiet spot facing the front. It had air con too which is essential in high summer.

The hotel pool was a hidden gem. Nicely set up with a cocktail bar overlooking it. Decent number of loungers and umbrellas. Cafe selling lunch type were very reasonable as well.

We only had breakfast included but we took advantage of the BBQ by the pool on the Wednesday. This is well worth it. We paid for an evening meal and there was a lot of choice at the buffet. The wine was poor though and I wouldn't bother with that. Breakfast was reasonable. The usual fare of European style meat and cheese. Supplemented with bacon, eggs, sausages and mushrooms. Pancakes, toast, cereal and fruit was available too. It was of a reasonable standard. At peak times you could have to wait and queue for English breakfast items such as bacon but it was generally ok.

Drinks were cheap but draught beer was watered down so make sure you get bottles.

Negatives;
Some of the service was a little brisk. There were occasions when we felt like we were being an inconvenience. Toni the front desk manager was good at sorting any minor problems.

We were once intruded upon at 9am by someone who let himself into our room without knocking! He wanted to water the balcony plants but did not make that clear!

Lack of information about a parade of shops and little bars nearby. Make sure you explore the whole complex for extra bits.

Do not book anything at their hospitality desk. Poorly run. They canceled our day trip to Montenegro on the morning of the trip. You're better off booking trips yourself.

That said the negatives were generally small and it was a very pleasant place to stay and a great location with a beach nearby as well. I would recommend this as a good value for money place to stay.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share the useful feedback and tips from your romantic holiday in hotel Tirena!
Please let me extend my deepest apologies for any inconvenience caused by our inexperienced and young colleague. I can assure you I will personally talk to him and make sure this, I am sure unintentional, mistake will never happen again. I am glad to hear Toni managed to help you with everything and this incident did not diminish your overall experience in our hotel.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed our pool, our food and especially our BBQ dinner and found Tirena to be perfectly located, well maintained hotel that you would recommend to other guests.
We hope to have you again as our dear guest!
Best regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have just returned from spending a week at the Tirena and must say overall it's a very good hotel. The rooms are very comfortable with large bed, good sized bathroom,mini bar,hair dryer. My only niggle regarding the room is that the towels in the bathroom have seen better days and are very thin and small. We went at the end of June when it was very hot and the air conditioning was a bit feeble. The breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice however if you can manage to get a table outside its much quieter as the main resturant can get very noisy. The pool area was fantastic with plenty of sun beds to choose from and towels. The poolside bar also very good and reasonably priced for food and drink. All the staff were very helpful and a credit to the hotel. The bus service into Dubrovnik is every 15 minutes but buy your tickets from the shop or reception in hotel. At the back of the hotel is a pathway that takes you to the bus station. If you are feeling adventurous follow the signs towards the Hotel Neptune and you find the coastal pathway which a a fabulous walk with a plethora of bars and restaurants and takes you to Lapad. Our favourite was the cave bar and restaurant the setting is amazing overlooking the Agean sea. All in all a lovely week.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane L
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear Guests,
What more can we say?! – Excellent review and what is even more important, it is most informative to any perspective visitor.
We are sincerely happy you have enjoyed your week with us and that you have managed to see so many places, enjoy the walks and sites and still have some time to rest and enjoy our pool. Thank you again on your kind words about our hotel and the services we offer and we look forward to greeting you again on some other Dubrovnik adventure!
Yours sincerely