“All-around lovely place”

Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Los Angeles
“All-around lovely place”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We were there in late October for two nights with a tour group--this was by far our best hotel. One of the reviewers below "lovely little hotel" gives an accurate description of its location and ease of transportation into the old city (though the hotel isn't "little" at all). I also agree with that reviewer's list of "advantages." All of our group had good views from their rooms and loved the breakfasts.
At the time we were there it was rated "3 stars" officially, but in my book it's clearly deserves a 4-star rating. We were told that they and their sister hotel next door had both applied for higher "star" ratings. I'd book it before they get one!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank ABooLA
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear guest,
I am glad to read that Tirena was the best hotel on your tour and I am especially happy to see that we deserve an additional star in your book. Tirena is remaining a 3 star hotel however our sister hotel Argosy is upgrading to an additional 4 star level as well as our President hotel which is becoming the first Valamar 5 star property. Hopefully we will get to host you again so you can see the changes in the resort complex in first hand and until then I send you warm regards from the entire Tirena staff.
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days with my girlfriend back in August 2013.

The hotel is good for the money. Its not bad, but its nothing special either.

Pros:
the copacobana beach that was a short walk from the hotel.
The staff was extremely nice and helpful.

Cons:
None

If you are on a budget, really good hotel to stay at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dbag23
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing your past summer stay in our hotel. I am glad that we have met with your needs and that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Best wishes for the upcoming holidays from the entire Tirena staff.
General manager
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Let me say that the hotel lobby was very nice and some of the others on my tour had wonderful rooms with great views sunset over the water.
I was not so lucky...My room was in the basement, no light from the windows and very difficult to locate in the maze of this hotel's hallways. More than once I had to ask staff to show me to my room. There was no heat in the hotel (too early in the season, apparently). Because my room had no sunlight and the outside temperature was 40 at night, I had to sleep in thermals. I deferred taking a shower more than once in order to avoid having to undress!!!
Fully booked, there was no room for me to be relocated.
This hotel was about 15 minutes by bus to the heart of the old town. The bus stop is easy enough to find from the hotel entrance. Tickets are sold in the hotel shop.
Breakfast was the highlight of my two days here.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to place you in a basement room NEAR THE LOBBY BAR...the noise level kept my frie...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank nancyb926
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write us the feedback.
I was glad to hear your group was overall satisfied with our hotel, but I was also disappointed you were not, as every guest satisfaction is valuable to us.
Unfortunately when hotel is fully booked we do not have the opportunity to provide room change.

Please let me extend our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced and I hope we will have you again as our guest in which case please do not hesitate to contact me personally for complimentary room upgrade.

Best regards,
Bangor, County Down
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights end of September/start of October. The hotel is part of the Valmar group of hotels and they are all set in a lovely park near the sea in Babin Kuk. What we liked:- 1. Breakfast - served downstairs in the restaurant - excellent choice; 2. Room comfortable and refurbished. Excellent shower. Mini bar. 3. Cleanliness - the hotel is extremely clean! 4. Pool - superb but just too cold the time of year we went! 4. You are right on the bus route - No 6 takes you in and out of Dubrovnik. Tip get it from The President Hotel and you should get a seat!! 5. Lobby bar - it was nice and relaxing and you can sit on the terrace. 6. Hotel is built onto a shopping centre of sorts. Great local restaurants, mini markets and souvenir shops right on your doorstep. 7. The beach - 5 minute walk through the park. Pebble Beach, you have to pay for sunbeds, best wear aqua shoes. Crystal clear water. 8 We may have been the youngest guests there! No screaming kids. 9 Staff - very friendly. Spoke excellent English. On hand to help with anything. 10. You can use the facilities of the sister hotels - we enjoyed our little tour around them all.
What we didn't like 1. The first day we arrived the pool bar was open. The next day it was closed!! Plenty of thirsty people around the pool wanting a drink and you had to walk up to the lobby bar. This was not good. 2 The weather - bit stormy rainy and windy a couple of nights and our room was freezing!! We had to put the extra duvet on. Terrible draught came through the balcony doors which definitely need upgraded to double glazing!! 3 The lady on tourist desk was very unfriendly and unhelpful on our 2nd day. 4. Sunloungers at the pool are a bit hard on the back - could do with some mattresses!
We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We really didn't know what to expect. We thorougly enjoyed our stay and ran out of time to do and see what we wanted to which means we will have to go back!! Dubrovnik is fantastic. Would we stay at Tirena again? Yes but we would have preferred a seaview room and some double glazing! However excellent food and value for money and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview balcony if possible!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank alicat789
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena and for taking your time to write this helpful review.
I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and would recommend our hotel. Thank you for sharing the things you liked in our hotel, and as well the points on which we need to focus on improving, as our goal is to constantly improve our service.

I hope to see you again in hotel Tirena and util then please let me extend warmest regards from whole Tirena staff.

Best regards,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Croatia 'last year' (never thought to write a review so its 2012) as part of our travels after Uni. Choosing a hotel wasn't a short process there are a lot out there geared up for different guests needs I imagine. We were very lucky in that the Tirena was just what we were looking for. Upon check in the staff were very friendly and helpful, recommending places to visit and generally going above and beyond. We had a balcony room overlooking the walkway to the pool and were quite happy with the amenities provided. Well enough with that! The Food/Restaurant! I would recommend this hotel purely based upon the catering! I was working as a full time chef at the time and had high expectations for Tirena. Ignore any comments slating this hotel for the staff and the food, my girlfriend and I were surprised at the range and quality of cuisine available for a 3 star hotel. We would find ourselves excited for breakfast and similarly excited for our evening meal. I would recommend Blû, a prosecco we shared a bottle of most nights. Never a dull staff member they all made us feel welcome and began to recognise us, frequently conversing with us about our day and where to go tomorrow. So many people go with preconceived expectations about a hotel. Just go and CHILL out Y'all!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank tomavery
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guests,
“Excellent review” we are absolutely thrilled at your impressions of Tirena. We really “do” care about our guests and we strive to always be at their disposal so your comments give us a new boost of confidence and energy to keep caring about our guests and seeing to their needs. Our chef Dario will be delighted to read such words of praise from a fellow chef regarding the food quality. The best possible recommendation is to read that you were excited prior to eating at our restaurant and for that all of us send you a big Thank you!. We look forward to greeting you again in Tirena on some other occasion.
Yours sincerely
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Loved the hotel, rooms were clean and comfortable. Pool always had enough sun loungers. Breakfast buffet best I've ever seen, very difficult not to over indulge with so much choice. Enjoyed the facilities of other sister hotels on the peninsula. Easy 10 minute bus transfer to city. Helpful locals and easy to book boat trips etc. Most people speak excellent english.
Highlights of trip include walking the city walls, kayaking 1/2 day trip and sunset drinks at hotel president.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wakerloo
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guests
Great review and many thanks for staying with us. Great to hear you have enjoyed your stay and have taken home some lasting memories. Who knows, we might see you again for some more breath-taking views from our next year's newly refurbished hotel Presidnet.
Yours sincerely
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Positives

Great food with lots of variety
Free wifi throughout
Pleasant and helpful staff, with 'hands on' management
Comfortable rooms
Impeccably clean throughout

Negatives
Feral cats roam freely outside the hotel
Some noise on occasions at night, but from premises outside the hotel's control

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julianna462
Dear guest,
Thanks a lot for a great review of our hotel. I am happy to read that you were fully satisfied with the entire hotel and all aspects of the service and the amenities. We look forward to maybe seeing you again, the pleasure will be all ours and please let us know if and when the time comes if we can be of any assistance.
Yours sincerely,