“Super Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reading, United Kingdom
“Super Hotel”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Have just got back from a two week stay at the Valamar Tirena.Our flight was delayed and we arrived at 11.30 in the evening. To our surprise salad and cold meats and cheeses had been laid out for us in the dining room as we had missed dinner. The check in staff were efficient and we were soon in our cool, clean, comfortable room. It was on the ground floor and we enjoyed having our own little garden area where we could sit before dinner and enjoy a glass of wine. The food was excellent with a huge choice for breakfast ranging from toast through cereal, pancakes, fruit etc. right up to a full cooked English. Dinner was the same with several choices of main meal every night and always salad and freshly cooked meats, soup and a large range of puddings. You would have to be a very fussy eater not to find something that you liked!! The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful. We picked this hotel because we wanted to explore the old town of Dubrovnik and it was an easy bus trip to get there (buy your bus tickets in the hotel shop, they are cheaper or get a Dubrovnik card) so weren't particularly interested in the beach but we did use the hotel pool which was lovely to come back to and cool off in after sightseeing. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Penelope A
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guests,
Fabulous review! Thank you very much. It's great to read of your experience of your recent stay with us. It makes all our staff very proud and glad they were able to make your stay a success. I am happy that our food offer variety was a match to your preferences and that you have enjoyed it completely. Thank you for recommending us and we hope you might be able to come back to Tirena and Dubrovnik on some other occasion.
Yours sincerely,
Nenad Marić,
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was really impressed with this hotel - the staff were very friendly, the rooms comfortable and clean, and it was in a good location. We booked with Thomas Cook and got a good price - it's worth noting that the hotel itself offers a price match promise on its website: "If you find a lower price anywhere on the Internet we will match that price and give you an additional 5% discount".

We had a balcony room, although it looked out onto the hotel drive/car park so I wouldn't bother paying extra money for it...we just used it to dry swimsuits on!

I enjoyed the buffet breakfast (as a vegetarian there were more than enough options). The evening buffet was also very good on the night we tried it, but I'm glad we didn't go half board. There are some cheaper, equally as good restaurants a 2-3 minute walk away and some more interesting restaurants in the old town.

The hotel pool is nice, as is the beach which is a short walk away. Both can be a bit busy and noisy with children, but that's to be expected anywhere and didn't bother me particularly. The hotel has a 'hospitality desk' which is good for booking excursions (I recommend Adriatic Tours, particularly to Mostar) and most of the excursions will pick you up from directly outside the hotel.

The bus to the old town runs every 15-20 minutes until 2am and the stop is just outside the hotel. The hotel is located quite early on the bus route so you might even manage to get a seat!

All in all, I thought this hotel was great value and definitely worth a stay.

1 Thank Kate A
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are extremely happy to read that you and your friends had a great vacation with us and that the hotel has completely met with your desires. I am glad that our restaurant food offer has met your diet needs as we try to offer a choice of food for everyone's taste. Hopefully we will be able to greet you again in Tirena and until then we send you warmest regards from Dubrovnik.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I agree with most of the other reviews on this hotel but would like to emphasise that the staff are really lovely in the restaurant/reception but the 'beach' is a 15 min walk and when you get there it couldn't be more disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and pay extra it is worth it. However most of those rooms are over the bar so no...
1 Thank WellTravelledLass_50
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay in Tirena and that our staff has met with all of your needs.
I'm sad to hear that you were not fully satisfied with the beaches in our surroundings. I hope that you have visited the beach of our sister hotel President as it is one of the best beaches in Dubrovnik with immaculate sea quality which has been recognized for many years with the blue flag award.
Best regards from Tirena staff,
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Hotel and staff were great and helpful. Very relaxing atmosphere, cleanliness excellent. Shops and restaurants in mall very welcoming. Location good, with walk along coast into Dubrovnik taking approx 40 mins. Beach few mins walk and swimming pool area was very clean.

Bus is handy for going into town no 6 - 10 minute journey. Cheaper to buy return tickets in hotel shop. Would definitely book this hotel again. Nice to be situated outside of the built up areas and yet still be close to town. Old city and war museum, by cable car, is a must to visit. Lopod is definitely worth a visit, either on 3 island cruise or by itself.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arleen T
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your vacation in hotel Tirena with the TripAdvisor community. We are very happy to read that you had a nice and relaxing stay with us and that you have enjoyed our facilities and the location of the hotel as well. It is always nice to read that our guests would book their holiday with us again as that is the best possible compliment that we can get.
We are looking forward welcoming you on that occasion and please contact me if you are in a need of help with reservation and booking.

Ireland
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in room 409, nice and quiet, we didn't hear any noise on the corridors.
The food was fantastic. In the mornings there was an excellent selection of fresh fruit, seeds, rice cakes, breads, cheeses, cold meats and cereal. Good selection of teas and pastries. The chef cooked bacon, eggs, omelette and pancakes to how each guest liked them. Dinner was also top class. There was something different to choose from each evening. Plenty of salads, veg, soups, meats etc. Desserts - icecream, cakes, fruit etc
The hotel was spotless. The staff at the bar each evening were superb. Cocktails were excellent.
This hotel reminded me of good old fashioned hospitality - welcome drink on arrival, the manager had a small drinks reception another eve and there was music every evening. The BBQ by the pool on Wednesday nights is definitely worth a try.

I would recommend taking the number 6 bus from the first terminal by the President hotel. Just a short walk through the back gardens of the hotel. This way you are guaranteed a seat on the bus. The number 5 bus is the best bus to catch to the cable car and goes from same stop.

We went for drinks each eve to the local hotels - President good for seaviews and Lacroma classy, modern and nice outdoor terrace.

Walking the walls in the old town and the cable car are a must!

2 Thank cpepperpot
dear guest,
A big thank you for this lovely review. I am really happy to read that you had a great vacation in Tirena and that you were fully satisfied with your room, hotel overall cleanliness and of course with our food. Our chef's will certainly be delighted to read your comments regarding their work. I am also glad that you have had a chance to enjoy the sunshine on our pool and that you took a chance to visit our sister hotels as well. We hope that we will see you in Tirena in the future and until then I send you warm regards from Dubrovnik.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have just returned from a Ledger holiday, staying in this hotel for 4 nights. i must admit when I first arrived I was a little disappointed as the hotel I had stayed in for the first part of my holiday had been excellent.
On arrival i was allocated a room that my travel courier said was not suitable for a lady travelling on her own, the manager did change this for me. The room I was given was a room adapted for disabled guests.The hotel was full and no other rooms were available. I stayed in this room for 3 nights then had to move rooms as a disabled guest required the room. The manager could not have been more apologetic and gave me a superior room with a lovely sea view for my last night along with a complimentary basket of fruit and a bottle of red wine.
The hotel is clean, light and spacious. The dining room however gets very busy and exceptionally noisy which is a shame as the food is very good. The choices are endless and some foods are cooked to order right in front of you. The staff are polite and obliging.
The hotel is situated on a peninsula with several other hotel whose facilities can be used by Tirena guests. A local bus is also only minutes away which goes into Dubrovnik.
I would stay in this hotel again if I ws in the area

Room Tip: Do not be put off by first impressions, this hotel has a lot more to offer than you first think
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Julie B
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel on our TripAdvisor webpage. I am happy to read that our staff did their best to accommodate you and fix the room allocation issue in the best possible way. A big thank you for your words of praise regarding our service and the food quality as well as it helps us to keep up the highest possible level of service.
Hopefully you will visit this area again in the future so we can greet you once again and until then I send you warmest regards from the entire Tirena staff.
Bucharest
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel was o.k. , my room (nr. 333) have had a balcony with a bad view , but the worst was from 07.00 A.M. till 10.00 A.M. when the smell from the kitchen wake me up even if I close the window , and the smell repeat at 19.00 P.M.
The room was good and clean and had a very nice bathroom.
The foods was amazing , fantastac good , we've had half board.
A little bit noise , but o.k.
Very good services.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pana R
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your insights regarding your stay at our hotel. I am glad to read that you were very satisfied with your accommodation and the quality of the food and provided services. On the other hand I am sorry to read that you had smell issues that came from the outside. We will definitely look into that and double check all of our ventilation shafts and filters. I am happy to see that this did nod diminish your overall impression of our hotel and I hope that you will be our guest in the future so we can provide you with the best possible service on that occasion.
Nenad Marić,