“A very good 3 star hotel”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at the Tirena at the end of May for 6 days and booked a balcony room. Upon arrival we found the reception staff to be very friendly and although the hotel does not exactly exude luxury the first impressions were of a very clean well run hotel.
Upon arrival at the room we were fortunate to get the fouth floor which had delightful views over the new harbour inlet with the mountains behind, A truly lovely view especially at night with delightful sunsets.
The room itself was very clean and was nice and cool with a sloping high ceiling. The bed was 2 large singles together but the was comfortable enough but may be slightly low for some people, we found it fine. One comment on the bedding is that you seem to get 2 separate covers instead of one large sheet/duvet, I think the hotel should address this, but it was a minor flaw for ourselves. No tea and coffee facitities in the room but we were not bothered by that. The wardrobes are nice and big with a safe and the bathroom was spotless with a good shower over the bath.
Our room was 402 and was over the bar/patio area but the night entertainment finishes at a reasonable hour(11pm) and it is not a rowdy kind of hotel so we did not find this a hinderance in the slightest. You will always get this at hotels unless you stay in a high rise large hotel.
As for the rest of the hotel, it was spotless. The pool is of a reasonable size with a swim up bar and a bar on the patio area.There are lots of little coastal /garden paths linking the sister hotels.
Another good reason to chose this hotel is that it is situated at the end of the pennisula with 2/3 other hotels within the same group so you can use most of the other faciliites available within the large grounds. The Hotel was pretty much fully booked but never seemed crowded as the hotels are spread nicely around the pennisula.
The nearest beach is of a shingle variety with a bar/restaurant and the sea is crystal clear. I actually prefer this kind of beach as it is only used by hotels guests and is small, not crowded and not sitting in front of a line of various other hotels.
The number 6 bus just outside the hotel takes you into the old town in 10-15 minutes and they seem to run every 15 minutes throughout the day so do not be put off by the distance from the old town as it really is very easy. Bus tickets brought in advance at the hotel shop are 12-14 kuna if I remember correctly(a couple of kuna cheaper than buying on the bus itself) so less than £2. The tickets are valid for 1 hour, so you usually need to buy one back from the old town too unless you just pop in and out.
The breakfast buffet is very good at this hotel and the staff very friendly and helpful. We did not eat at any other time at the hotel as we tend to use hotels as merely a base to explore the area.
Dubrovnik itself is a stunning place and I would highly recommend visiting. The old town is stunning and the people warm and friendly. A trip to Lokrum island off the old harbour is well worth a half day trip too, as is the cable car for stunning views over the old town.
Hotel Tirena is a good 3 star Hotel in my opinion, not amazing facilities but its a 3 star hotel. But what I can say is that it is very clean and the staff are excellent. I will return to Dubrovnik again sometime and I would probably use the hotel again as it it suits are needs perfectly.
I have included several pics of the hotel and thetown itself.

Room Tip: Try your very best to get a 4th floor room
7  Thank morganw30
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear guest
Thank you very much for reviewing your recent visit to hotel Tirena and for complimenting us on all categories listed. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your visit with us. I am also very glad that you got the chance to visit some of our sister hotels as well and that you have enjoyed our breakfast food offer. Our staff will be happy to see such wonderful remarks on their work and service , especially the housekeeping staff as they do their best to accommodate each guest in the best possible way.
Hopefully you have left a few undiscovered areas during your vacation, so you can discover and explore them during your next trip to Dubrovnik.
Please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with your hotel booking on that occasion.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,

Reviewed June 10, 2012

What can I say? The only redeeming features of this hotel are the staff, which are friendly and helpful, and the buffet breakfast, which catered for every possible preference. We were really disappointed though with everything else. On arrival we got to our room (309) to find a grotty, tired looking room, with chip board exposed on the dressing table area, pink painted walls and a joke for a sea view. It really resembled a 70’s half way house, or a hostel. We immediately rang reception to express our disbelief and ask to be moved immediately, which they did. We were moved further along the corridor to room 307, which had a proper sea view and slightly better decor. We had asked for a double bed, but had to make do with two singles put together. On that note the beds are not very comfortable so I found myself with a stiff neck after a few days, so booked a massage with the hotel next door which resolved the problem.
The bathroom extraction didn’t work in this room either, so take matches and shower with the bathroom door open!
The walls in this room, and probably the rest of the hotel are really thin, so you can hear EVERYTHING from the rooms of other guests. There is also an interconnecting door from this room to the next, which the guests on the other side kept trying on occasion, so I didn’t feel that secure here.
Also there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room which should be there for 3 star accommodation.
There is loud music almost every night till late which there is no escaping even from your room. It appears that all the sea view rooms overlook a court yard where people congregate in the evening, so if you need an early night for an early morning day trip somewhere, bring ear plugs.
The beach is a 10 minute walk away and isn’t great.
Overall it is a very basic hotel that needs refurbishing and a price review, as it wasn’t value for money at all.
We really felt that this hotel didn’t match up to its billing on their website and is a little economical with the truth.

Room Tip: If you must stay here ask for a room on the fourth floor away from the loud music and ask for a prop...
2  Thank trishmac2
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear guest,
I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. Your comments are of a tremendous importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services.
I am sad to hear that our 3* hotel did not meet your level of expectations and that you found your room to be unsatisfactory. Thank you for complimenting us on the quality of the food, and the staff service as it means a lot to us since we pride ourselves on our very friendly staff.
Best regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Hotel is within a group of 4/5 hotels that are situated on a lovely peninsula overlooking the Adratic sea.It is approx 30min by bus from the airport & 15/20min by bus to the old town.

Rooms are basic but comfortable & clean with a small balcony with seating . T.V in room with several english speaking news channels,plenty of storage & in room safe.Refurbished modern bathroom with toileteries provided.Excellent pressure on shower , some rooms with bath & others with walk in showers.Rooms do not have tea/coffee making facilities.Free wi-fi available throughout hotel.
If you are a light sleeper or prefer a quiet room it may be better to avoid rooms directly above the bar /patio area as there may be noise from the nightly entertainment or guests socialising on the patio but this appeared to finish by 11pm.
During our weeks stay the hotel provided nightly entertainment in the bar with a typical mix of local and international music with a male singer called Markos on one night being a major hit especially with the ladies !

There is a small modern plaza directly behind the hotel with several bar/ restaurants ,coffee shops, gift shops & mini markets selling 2 litres of water for approx €1.35 & a can of local beer for the same price.There is a nice selection of restaurants but we only had the opportunity to try one for pizza at lunch which was excellent and good value at €6.35 for large pizza & €2.75 for 1/2 litre of beer.There is also an ATM here.

There is a small shingle beach with lovely clear water called the Cocacabana about 5min downhill from the hotel. The uneven stone steps to the beach are quite steep but there is also a safer pathway which takes slightly longer.There is a small bar/restaurant there & very clean public toilets. You can also hire sunbeds on the beach for €8.00 each per day & it also has a watersports centre .

Along the shoreline from the Cocacabana beach a pathway leads right into the harbour of the new town & takes approx 20min & avoids any of the hills.Its not signposted but well worth searching for with lovely views of the suspension bridge & the cruise ships.
Another walkway heads the opposite way around the far shoreline of the peninsula & also ends up in the new town.Again this is hard to find but starts beside the President hotel & on the seaward side of the Neptun hotel.This is a lovely scenic walk by day or night and has several restaurants built onto the cliff face .Again this takes 15/20 min and ends up at a pedestrian area in the new town where there are numerous bars & restaurants.

The buffet restaurant is the highlight of the hotel & provide an excellent selection for breakfast & dinner and is as good as you are likely to obtain in any 5 star resort.Staff in the restaurant were particularly pleasent even on nights that it was quite busy.

I would recommend taking the no 6 bus ( to the old town ) from the bus stop that is situated outside the adjoining President hotel. This is the first /last stop so there is a better chance of getting a seat on this quite busy route.

The hotel was perfect for our group holiday as we were on half board & organised tours but the more independant traveller might prefer to be closer to the old town for a bigger selection of restaurants & night life.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room but away from bar
8  Thank Zena1
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive review about Tirena following your recent stay with us. I am sure that future travelers will be especially delighted to read your comments regarding the pathways leading to the harbor and the Uvala pedestrian area as they are stunning both during the day and the night.
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your room and the hotel facilities as well. The restaurant team and especially the Chef will be delighted to read that you were extremely satisfied with the food and that you are comparing us with 5 star resorts on that matter. I am very proud of the whole team and rest assured that I will share your positive comments with all of them.
A big thank you once again and I sincerely hope we see you again in the near future for another wonderful Tirena experience.
Best regards from Dubrovnik

Reviewed June 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a last minute mini break, to relax and unwind. We couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. From the minute we arrived, to the the minute we left, the staff were 100% helpful and the hotel was of very high standard. Great location, with fantastic views, both from the hotel and from the nearby peaceful beach. Our room was sparkling clean, with a well stocked mini bar and a safe in the room too (this wasn't advertised) which is always helpful. The shower was good, and our beds were very comfortable. All of the hotel staff we met were friendly-always smiling and smartly dressed. The chefs (Darijo and Mario) were so helpful, and kind when I handed them the list of my allergies, and cooked me something suitable, and very tasty! This helped alot, as its always a worry when I travel and I usually end up eating only salad. But here, I felt confident that the chefs were happy to help, and that I was safe eating what they prepared for me. I felt well looked after!
The pool was lovely, and well maintained, as were the grounds of the hotel. Great cocktails served here, as well as in the lobby bar.
Local restaurants were enjoyed, as was the fanatstic art studio PRSA, located nearby. Cash machine close by, if you find yourself wanting to make extra purchases!
We believe this hotel would suit most travellers, as the hotel and the staff seem to cater to everyones requirements. The older groups we saw during our stay looked like they too were having a fantastic time, as did the families, the couples and the solo travellers.
Excellent hotel, excellent staff and what an excellent holiday. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HeidiDYork

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us during your Dubrovnik vacation. We pride ourselves on our very friendly staff so it’s great to hear that they were able to assist you throughout your stay. Chef’s Darijo and Mario were extremely happy to assist you with your food allergies difficulties and they are very happy to read that you have enjoyed the food that they prepared just for you and that your vacation got even more relaxed and enjoyable. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel’s peaceful setting and all of the facilities as well, and that you got the chance to try some of our lovely cocktails on our charming pool.
Thank you again, and we very much look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Best regards from the entire Tirena staff.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here as part of a Cosmos tourm, and this was easily the best quality hotel of the tour. The views from the room were spectacular, the pool area was beautiful, the buffet breakfast one of the best I’ve ever had, the staff were friendly, and the beds extremely comfortable. The bathroom was also spacious and had a great shower in it.

It is located a little out of town, but there is a bus stop right out front, and the hotel’s gift shop sells tickets for 10K (as opposed to 12K on the bus). The gift shop at the hotel was also cheaper than anywhere else in town.

I would certainly stay here if visiting Dubrovnik again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - totally worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank NoAngelNZ
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear NoAngelNZ
Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your vacation experience at our hotel. I would like to thank you for praising us on each and every one of the categories provided. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your room and the quality of the bed itself as we all know a good night sleep is certainly important part of any vacation. As a manager of hotel Tirena I am extremely proud to hear such wonderful comments regarding the staff friendliness and especially the food quality in the restaurant. Praise like that makes our job much easier and that is the best satisfaction that we can get.
If you will be planning to visit Dubrovnik again in the future please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance booking your hotel.
Warm regards from Dubrovnik

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I arrived here as part of a group from Ireland on 21st May 2012 and stayed for 7 nights. We arrived early in the day and were impressed to find our rooms were ready. I had a requested a room with a sea view and I was delighted to arrive into room 401 to the most spectacular view from my balcony. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable and the standard of housekeeping in the hotel was excellent in the public areas aswell. There was a safe in my room which I dont think is mentioned on the hotel website but I was happy to have it anyway just for storing my camera and prescription medicine etc.

The quality of the food for breakfast and dinner was delicious, if you like fish you will definitely enjoy dining in the restaurant and you can actually see the chefs cooking the food so you know it is nice and fresh. I would also recommend a pre dinner cocktail in the bar before going for dinner as the cocktail menu is quite extensive and excellent value for money,

I have mentioned the accommodation and the food but what really makes this hotel what it is are the staff who work there, professional, really friendly and welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble. During my stay it was my mothers birthday during the week and on the day when we returned to the room there was a bottle of champagne with compliments from the hotel and a lovely note to go with it, a really thoughtful gesture and I can only assume that they knew it was her birthday from her passport which they scan at check in. I would like to give a special mention to Nada in the retaurant ( so friendly and always smiling) and to Toni at reception for arranging Spa treatments at such short notice in the sister property LaCroma hotel.

I have recommended this hotel to lots of people already and will continue to do so and when i return to Dubrovnik I will stay here again. Keep up the great work there and thank you for making my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: ask for a room above ground level with a sea view, you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank goldielocks79
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear goldielocks79
Thank you so much for taking your time to write such an extensive review regarding your holiday at our hotel. It really makes us so proud to hear such good observations regarding our facilities and especially the quality of our service. I am sure that our chef will be delighted and proud to see such wonderful comments regarding his team since all of them are always giving that little extra touch to make the food even more delicious than it is.
I am enormously proud to read such great comments on the staff of hotel Tirena. I am sure that there is no better satisfaction to them and to me than seeing that you came home and that you are still overwhelmed with your Tirena vacation experience.
I hope that you and your mother will be our guests again next year for her next birthday and until then, we will set a bottle of champagne to cool and keep room 401 ready for you.
Best regards from the entire Tirena staff and especially Nada and Toni. Until next time
Hotel Tirena General Manager

Reviewed May 24, 2012

The hotel is easily reached from Dubrovnik by the local bus service or by taxi. This is a large hotel with some rooms including ours quite remote from reception. We had a pleasant terrace and the room was generally good. The duvets were not warm enough for a May visit and we ended up using the blankets from the wardrobe. There is free WiFi internet - access codes from reception.
We took breakfast at the hotel - on the first morning this was good. On the second morning of our stay we had an earlier departure and breakfast was not as good.
Behind the hotel is a street of shops, restaurants, bars etc shared by several adjoining hotels. This gave a good choice for both dinners - we tried two of the restaurants and found both to be quite good and not particularly expensive.
The hotel bar was a bit soulless but the staff were friendly and the service very good - the Lowenbrau served in the bar was excellent.
Overall the hotel provided a good oasis after a day's hectic tourism in Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as near as possible to reception
2  Thank LightAleCavalier
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear LightAleCavalier
Many thanks on writing a review regarding your vacation at hotel Tirena on Trip Advisor. We would especially like to thank you on highlighting the courtesy and the service quality of the lobby bar staff to us. Rest assured that we will certainly share your comments with our team. We are particularly glad to read that our hotel has provided you with a serene atmosphere after your hectic day at the Old Town Dubrovnik and that you have managed to enjoy in our Mediterranean olive, pine and cypress tree surrounding.
On behalf of all of our staff, we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to hotel Tirena on many future occasions.
Best regards,