“Excellent hotel+excellent staff=excellent holiday!”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
York
“Excellent hotel+excellent staff=excellent holiday!”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a last minute mini break, to relax and unwind. We couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. From the minute we arrived, to the the minute we left, the staff were 100% helpful and the hotel was of very high standard. Great location, with fantastic views, both from the hotel and from the nearby peaceful beach. Our room was sparkling clean, with a well stocked mini bar and a safe in the room too (this wasn't advertised) which is always helpful. The shower was good, and our beds were very comfortable. All of the hotel staff we met were friendly-always smiling and smartly dressed. The chefs (Darijo and Mario) were so helpful, and kind when I handed them the list of my allergies, and cooked me something suitable, and very tasty! This helped alot, as its always a worry when I travel and I usually end up eating only salad. But here, I felt confident that the chefs were happy to help, and that I was safe eating what they prepared for me. I felt well looked after!
The pool was lovely, and well maintained, as were the grounds of the hotel. Great cocktails served here, as well as in the lobby bar.
Local restaurants were enjoyed, as was the fanatstic art studio PRSA, located nearby. Cash machine close by, if you find yourself wanting to make extra purchases!
We believe this hotel would suit most travellers, as the hotel and the staff seem to cater to everyones requirements. The older groups we saw during our stay looked like they too were having a fantastic time, as did the families, the couples and the solo travellers.
Excellent hotel, excellent staff and what an excellent holiday. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HeidiDYork
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us during your Dubrovnik vacation. We pride ourselves on our very friendly staff so it’s great to hear that they were able to assist you throughout your stay. Chef’s Darijo and Mario were extremely happy to assist you with your food allergies difficulties and they are very happy to read that you have enjoyed the food that they prepared just for you and that your vacation got even more relaxed and enjoyable. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel’s peaceful setting and all of the facilities as well, and that you got the chance to try some of our lovely cocktails on our charming pool.
Thank you again, and we very much look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Best regards from the entire Tirena staff.
Nenad Maric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellington
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here as part of a Cosmos tourm, and this was easily the best quality hotel of the tour. The views from the room were spectacular, the pool area was beautiful, the buffet breakfast one of the best I’ve ever had, the staff were friendly, and the beds extremely comfortable. The bathroom was also spacious and had a great shower in it.

It is located a little out of town, but there is a bus stop right out front, and the hotel’s gift shop sells tickets for 10K (as opposed to 12K on the bus). The gift shop at the hotel was also cheaper than anywhere else in town.

I would certainly stay here if visiting Dubrovnik again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - totally worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank NoAngelNZ
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear NoAngelNZ
Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your vacation experience at our hotel. I would like to thank you for praising us on each and every one of the categories provided. I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed your room and the quality of the bed itself as we all know a good night sleep is certainly important part of any vacation. As a manager of hotel Tirena I am extremely proud to hear such wonderful comments regarding the staff friendliness and especially the food quality in the restaurant. Praise like that makes our job much easier and that is the best satisfaction that we can get.
If you will be planning to visit Dubrovnik again in the future please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance booking your hotel.
Warm regards from Dubrovnik
Ireland
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I arrived here as part of a group from Ireland on 21st May 2012 and stayed for 7 nights. We arrived early in the day and were impressed to find our rooms were ready. I had a requested a room with a sea view and I was delighted to arrive into room 401 to the most spectacular view from my balcony. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable and the standard of housekeeping in the hotel was excellent in the public areas aswell. There was a safe in my room which I dont think is mentioned on the hotel website but I was happy to have it anyway just for storing my camera and prescription medicine etc.

The quality of the food for breakfast and dinner was delicious, if you like fish you will definitely enjoy dining in the restaurant and you can actually see the chefs cooking the food so you know it is nice and fresh. I would also recommend a pre dinner cocktail in the bar before going for dinner as the cocktail menu is quite extensive and excellent value for money,

I have mentioned the accommodation and the food but what really makes this hotel what it is are the staff who work there, professional, really friendly and welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble. During my stay it was my mothers birthday during the week and on the day when we returned to the room there was a bottle of champagne with compliments from the hotel and a lovely note to go with it, a really thoughtful gesture and I can only assume that they knew it was her birthday from her passport which they scan at check in. I would like to give a special mention to Nada in the retaurant ( so friendly and always smiling) and to Toni at reception for arranging Spa treatments at such short notice in the sister property LaCroma hotel.

I have recommended this hotel to lots of people already and will continue to do so and when i return to Dubrovnik I will stay here again. Keep up the great work there and thank you for making my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: ask for a room above ground level with a sea view, you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank goldielocks79
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear goldielocks79
Thank you so much for taking your time to write such an extensive review regarding your holiday at our hotel. It really makes us so proud to hear such good observations regarding our facilities and especially the quality of our service. I am sure that our chef will be delighted and proud to see such wonderful comments regarding his team since all of them are always giving that little extra touch to make the food even more delicious than it is.
I am enormously proud to read such great comments on the staff of hotel Tirena. I am sure that there is no better satisfaction to them and to me than seeing that you came home and that you are still overwhelmed with your Tirena vacation experience.
I hope that you and your mother will be our guests again next year for her next birthday and until then, we will set a bottle of champagne to cool and keep room 401 ready for you.
Best regards from the entire Tirena staff and especially Nada and Toni. Until next time
Lancashire
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The hotel is easily reached from Dubrovnik by the local bus service or by taxi. This is a large hotel with some rooms including ours quite remote from reception. We had a pleasant terrace and the room was generally good. The duvets were not warm enough for a May visit and we ended up using the blankets from the wardrobe. There is free WiFi internet - access codes from reception.
We took breakfast at the hotel - on the first morning this was good. On the second morning of our stay we had an earlier departure and breakfast was not as good.
Behind the hotel is a street of shops, restaurants, bars etc shared by several adjoining hotels. This gave a good choice for both dinners - we tried two of the restaurants and found both to be quite good and not particularly expensive.
The hotel bar was a bit soulless but the staff were friendly and the service very good - the Lowenbrau served in the bar was excellent.
Overall the hotel provided a good oasis after a day's hectic tourism in Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as near as possible to reception
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LightAleCavalier
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear LightAleCavalier
Many thanks on writing a review regarding your vacation at hotel Tirena on Trip Advisor. We would especially like to thank you on highlighting the courtesy and the service quality of the lobby bar staff to us. Rest assured that we will certainly share your comments with our team. We are particularly glad to read that our hotel has provided you with a serene atmosphere after your hectic day at the Old Town Dubrovnik and that you have managed to enjoy in our Mediterranean olive, pine and cypress tree surrounding.
On behalf of all of our staff, we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to hotel Tirena on many future occasions.
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here for a week on a Travel Department holiday. We were very impressed. The hotel is billed as 3 stars - however I would put it as being much closer to 4 star - not a bad complaint at all. Staff very friendly. Rooms spotlessly clean and spacious. Food was excellent - we were on a half board package so breakfast and dinner was included. Plenty of choice and nice to have some of the food cooked in front of you by the chefs - mussels were 'to die for'. Our waitress Josefina was very friendly and helpful. There is a little mall nearby, so it was easy to stock up on water and other necessities. Also very handy to have the no. 6 bus outside the hotel - it made accessing the old city very easy (and cheap). There is a pool nearby but it is a bit of a trek to the beach - quite hilly and signposting could be better. We would definitely recommend Hotel Tirena and also the Travel Department - well done.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank K1Z
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear K1Z
We are happy to read such wonderful remarks on our hotel and on our service. It is always nice to see when people rate our facilities and service with adding one more star next to our name. It made us happy and proud to hear that we've met your expectations and it has been extremely motivating to our crew.
Our chef will be delighted to see such comments regarding your show cooking experience and the mussels’ quality as well.
Thank you once again for choosing our hotel for your vacation and I send you warm regards from the entire Tirena staff, especially Josefina.
Cumbria
Reviewed May 14, 2012

First the good points,

1,Hotel in my opinion is situated far enough away from the bustle to be relaxing but only a 10 min bus ride away from Pile Gate.
2, Food in the hotel is of a good standard, you wont go hungry here.
3,Good size swimming pool with towels provided.
4, Rooms have free aircon and safe.
5,Decent quality shower gel is provided and replenished daily.
6, Hairdryer in the room also.
7,Internet access is reasonable 15KN for 30 mins next to reception.

Bad points,
1, Sunbathing area around one particular part of the pool gets drenched with a mini pool forming when children splash in the pool, don't leave anything on the floor.

2, Had a problem with ants in the room, it happens I know but when I reported this at 21.30 one evening I expected this to be sorted, instead the duty manager tried to fob me off saying come back in the morning.
Now with 30 plus ants 3 feet away from my head no way was I having this so I ended up being given the ant spay to sort this myself, unacceptable in my eyes but I thought if I don't sort this myself it wont get sorted until the next day. In moving the bed to get to the ants low and behold I found an entrance ticket dated May 2009, when I challenged the manager he said it was probably dislodged by me which could be true but you would think moving the bed to Hoover over a three year period would "dislodge it" My guess is they don't clean under the beds as much as they would like to have you think.

3, Sun beds are the most uncomfortable I have ever used in 35 years travelling. White plastic with no sign of any soft mattress to place on top. Go next door in the Lacroma Hotel to see what a quality sun bed is.

Found getting from the airport using Atlas transfers parked just to the right of the exit of the airport a breeze to use. nice coach with aircon price 35 KN per person that's just under £4. This will stop at Pile Gate its only stop before it terminates 5 mins later at the bus station. Then get the number 6 local orange coloured bus from Pile Gate the (same stop Atlas drops you off) to the hotel. On your return best option would be to get the number 7 local bus which runs ten past the hour every hour from the terminus by the hotel to the bus station where the Atlas coach starts to the return to the airport. Not recommended to get the Atlas coach at Pile Gate as quite a few people get on here and is a hassle imo, much much easier to get the coach from the bus station which is situated right next to the cruise liner terminal. A nice half an hour walk from the hotel along the walking trail along the shore line if you fancy a lovely scenic walk one morning.

Was this hotel value for money? well would have to say yes but it is not a four star, a good 3 star imo.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnnydontdoit
Dear Johnnydontdoit
I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. Your comments are of tremendous importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services, and they provide us with objectives and directions toward continual improvements.
Rest assured that the problem with the ants in your room and the way that the entire situation was sorted out has been duly noted and that we have immediately added the point into our training program in order to develop our service quality and courtesy up to your total satisfaction. We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to hotel Tirena in the near future and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.
Tanunda
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed for 1 night Sept 2011, last night of Croatia bus tour. Expected a bit better, normally the last night of tour is a pretty good hotel, this one is ok though,but the rooms are a bit tired and need a spruce up. The food was fantastic and sometimes you forgive the room quality because of that. Its a bit far from the city centre as well , you will need a taxi or bus. Pity the rest of the Croatia hotels we stayed in couldnt serve up some of this food as it sets a good standard.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank barossabazz
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear barossabazz

Its good to see that you have remembered your stay with us and have decided to share your experience. We could not be more grateful for your lovely comments regarding the quality of the food that we serve for breakfast and dinner. Reading the comments from the guests like yourself makes us proud and happy and it makes our job much easier to do. Hopefully next time when you visit Dubrovnik you will get the chance to stay a bit longer and experience all of our services and facilities.

Best regards from Dubrovnik