“Loved the elegance and service - but make sure you visit in the "off season"”
Review of The Pucic Palace

The Pucic Palace
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Firstly, it is worth saying that we visited Dubrovnik in mid-October (which is the "off season") and it was an excellent time. The roads were almost empty and the towns less crowded, with the exception of Dubrovnik itself which is packed with cruise ship passengers every day.

We stayed in the Royal Suite in the annex. It is around 50 meters from the main hotel.

Things I liked about the Pucic Place/Royal Suite:
a) Very good value (EUR 95 per night)
b) Excellent breakfast in the hotel
c) Great staff, very helpful, polite and cheerful - really made our stay a stand out!
d) Location - right in the centre of the Old Town
e) Free parking near to the city gates
f) Large suite with a small kitchenette and an opulent bathroom.
g) High quality bed - a very good nights sleep
h) Quiet location, i.e. no bars or nightclubs underneath to keep me awake

Things I didn't like - for the first time there is nothing I didn't like about the hotel/room/service. My only gripe is that Dubrovnik is a bit "Disney" and is a tourist trap. We ended up eating all our meals in the hotel because the hotel restaurant had very good food and was not more expensive than the street restaurants.

Room Tip: The Royal Suite in the annex is excellent value, size and location.
1  Thank BertBantham

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Superb location within the walls, great classy accommodations, wonderful service. Friendly and competent staff. Dubrovnik is a jewel. Don't forget to walk around the walls and get hotel to hire you a guide. We followed trip advisor for restaurants and were not disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in annex which was quite nice, very modern. Rooms in hotel are luxurious. Get one if you...
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Spent two nights during our honeymoon here and would come back in a heartbeat. You simply cannot beat the location, and the building itself is a destination worth seeing. I can imagine it might be a little too much if going during peak season, but for an off-season visit like ours (early November), I would not have stayed anywhere else. It might be expensive, but it offers a unique way to experience the city.

Room Tip: We slept overlooking the plaza. Despite some comments I read, I didn't heat the fruit market set...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

How do I tell you about the Pucic Palace Hotel??? Well, to start, let me explain my title. This is a great hotel, but I could not agree that it is five star, and here's why:
1. Spotty Internet Service. I know that when we are on vacation, we should give a damn about internet service. The whole idea of a vacation is to unplug and de-stress, to get away from those every day stressors like the internet and work. That said, in today's world, the internet is also an important way to keep up with what's going on back home and to contact members of your family to let them know everything is good. Spotty service is frustrating, and frankly, in today's world, a hotel cannot be five star without reliable internet connectivity.
2. The restaurant - The restaurant on the ground floor is at best, OK. The first morning, they got every piece of our order wrong. I mean every bit of it. To make matters worse, they didn't seem to care even after we brought it to our attention. to be fair, the next few days, the orders were correct, but the service was still lacking.

Despite the two detractors I mention above, I still rate the Pucic Palace as excellent. The staff at the front desk was amazing. They were all very friendly and accommodating. The location is unbeatable, since they are the only hotel in the old city. The room are very well maintained, we enjoyed our stay very, very much. I highly recommend Dubrovnik and the Pucic Palace as a place to visit.

I do recommend calling ahead and arranging for pick up and drop off to and from the airport. It's well worth the 99 dollars. There is no vehicular traffic allowed in the old city, so they will need to meet you outside the city walls to carry your luggage. Tipping is welcome, but not expected, so the level of service you get due to tipping is superior.

1  Thank bigelectricmac
Reviewed September 29, 2013

A lovely hotel. Our room was on a corner overlooking the square where there was a farmers market each morning that disappeared at lunchtime. Double glazing stopped any early market noise. As Dubrovnik is full of cruise people during the day it was wonderful to have a mid town oasis to retreat to. Great breakfast and comfy bed. They could have provided more than one bottle of water for our two night stay. A bit pricey but no other choice in the old town. It was my husbands birthday and they picked that up from his passport and gave him a lovely present. Very impressive.

Room Tip: Overlooking the square
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you want to stay within the walled city, this is for sure the best place. Other than hostels and B&B inns I have not come across any other hotel. Since there is no car traffic allowed inside the old town, you will be picked up by a porter just outside the main city gate. You then just stroll along and arrive at the beautiful place 5 or so minutes later. The location is perfect. You are in the middle of the hustle and bustle of this intriguing medieval city. The staff at the reception is knowledgeable and friendly. They gave me excellent dinner and lunch recommendations (Posat, Rosario). They also have their own wine bar and two restaurants. I tried all of these places. They were impeccable. The service on the terrace, where you'll have breakfast, is a bit inattentive and slow. The staff does not appear to be too motivated, but that adds to the charm of the place. When you think of the hardship that these inhabitants had to go through during the war, you just don't want to come down too hard on them. We are so spoilt as Western tourists in general, we cannot even fathom how difficult and frightening that time must have been for everybody back then. The rooms and associated amenities may not quite be what you would be used to from staying at 5* hotels in other parts of the world. However, this should not prevent you from staying there. It's the overall experience that counts. Yes, it is expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
If you are a foodie, try the oysters from Ston and the Black Risotto. These are typical and/or unique dishes from Croatia. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: This is the type of hotel where you can ask the concierge to show you a couple of rooms, if they are...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2013

A small boutique hotel in the heart of historic dubrovnik.Touted as one of the best hôtels in Dubrovnik it lived up to our expectation. The decor is historic and comfortable the bathroom had a large copper bath. There is a lot of attention to detail in the furnishing of these rooms. The hotel could benefit from having some brochures about local attractions or tours but this is a minor detail

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple