“Good location, nice room, but small things let it down”

Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Aberystwyth
“Good location, nice room, but small things let it down”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Dubrovnik Palace for 2 weeks at the end of May 2013 booked with Thomsons.
The Hotel was overall very good, the staff were friendly when they got to know you but some were somewhat distant. Our arrival was spoilt when we were told that our room wasn't ready and told airily to go to the bar and wait. No directions were given except for a wave in a general direction. Our luggage was left in the middle of reception and would have stayed there if we hadn't insisted on it being stored somewhere safe. When we were eventually taken to our room (we had to prompt reception) on the 7th floor, it was pleasant, comfortable,clean and big enough. My only complaint was that the air conditioning was not very effective and seemed to be limited to a maximum 2 degrees below ambient. On the day of arrival we lunched at the Lean and Light restaurant (seemed to be the only one open) and had an expensive but poor meal which was cold. I sent mine back to be reheated and it was explained that the food was cooked on the floor below so got cold on the way up. Everyone complained about the food served there. The pool bar was the best bar but only opened during the day. The only other alternative was the main bar at reception; the "Sunset Bar". The drinks offered were limited and expensive (the beer was three times what was charged in a bar down the road) while the staff were not overly friendly. What spoilt the bar was the piano player who played every night, the way he played (loud) and the acoustics made it impossible to talk or even think - hardly relaxing. The dim light also made it difficult to read. Breakfast was excellent possibly one of the best I have had in European hotels of late. Dinner was OK (we were half board) but as already commented "samey". The soup was very good and the best course.The starters were fine but the main dish unappealing although there was plenty of choice.The waiters and waitresses were very pleasant and helpful especially the head waiter. The one who wins a prize was the always cheery girl who made the fried eggs and omelettes in the morning. My only concern was that, at dinner, on the hot plate; cooked and raw meat were mixed together in a most unhygienic way.
The hotel could have done with a quiet leafy garden.
In conclusion the hotel was generally very good and we would return if staying in Lapad again. However, it was a good four star hotel with 5 star prices.

Because Dubrovnik itself was so crowded with cruise ships we spent a lot of time on the Lapad peninsula - we are so glad we took the advice of other trippers and stayed there, We felt 2 weeks was too long a stay. Our Thomson's rep, Diana, for the area was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for her. The bus service from Dubrovnik Palace and Dubrovnik itself didn't seem all that reliable and didn't keep to the timetable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We very rarely return to the same place only one year after a previous visit, but our experience in 2012, the location of this hotel, its very good local bus link with the medieval walled city and the very high quality of service led us return again this year. We were not disappointed.

We booked a Junior Suite, as per our previous visit, but requested, in advance, a higher floor in order to enjoy sea views above the tree line. Our request was fulfilled and we enjoyed a marvellous view from our sixth floor front and side balcony, with sun loungers too. - An improvement on last year's fifth floor room, and excellent for lying on your back and studying the stars with a final pre-bedtime glass of wine.

The room was spacious, with floor-to-ceiling sliding doors to the balcony; all you would expect from the spec. The bathroom was similarly good, but we would have preferred a walk in shower or fixed showering attachment. When I requested this in advance the hotel informed us that all rooms have only baths with shower facilities whilst you bathe. This wasn't a huge problem for us; the bath was capacious and filled rapidly, but for someone wanting a quick shower, the need to stand in the bath and hold the shower head yourself, with no curtain, would almost certainly lead to a slippery floor, awash with water, if you are as cackhanded as me.

The Hotel Palace has a superb location and if you are looking to simply relax, read, swim, etc it seems ideal. The pool is a fair size and never seemed crowded. A cordoned swimming area in the stunningly blue Adriatic is only a few steps away, offering good sea swimming and snorkelling. Our only grumble was that, in replacing most of last year's sun loungers, the hotel has selected a design that leads to your bottom trying to force its way through the gap created when the lounger's back is moved to the almost upright sitting position.

The staff are unceasingly helpful, friendly and polite. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble, whether at breakfast, in looking after the room, or in the bars and eateries.

We thoroughly enjoyed being back at the Dubrovnik Palace again and have no regrets about having returned so soon.

Room Tip: I think that all rooms have a sea view. However, higher floors are better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Camberley, Surrey
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for a week in July. Not the greatest start when the car we had booked from the airport failed to turn up, but this was soon rectified after a phone call to the hotel and in compensation they didn't charge us for the trip or the return - classy. After that mishap it was all plain sailing.
The hotel is ideally situated if you want to chill out for a few days as well as visit the Old City - the bus service described elsewhere is excellent. We didn't have any of the service problems reported by some here, quite the opposite in fact, all staff were friendly and helpful. Yes the rooms are a bit small and dated but nothing to concern anyone but the pickiest - though the positioning of the shower head and screen are a trifle strange!
Breakfast is the usual wide variety you'd expect in any 5 star hotel these days, and the terrace has one of the most breathtaking views I've seen anywhere. Can''t comment on food quality in the evening as we eat out but lunch at the pool restauarant is good. Only thing missing was a reasonable evening menu at one of the bars - it's the restaurants or nothing. Plenty of more interesting places to eat in Lapad or the Old City anyway.
Plenty of sun loungers and towels by the pools and several sun terraces.
All rooms do have a sea view though trees can obscure some rooms below the 5th floor.
All in all a very good hotel which you would struggle to fault - book with confidence.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you go for a room above the 4th Floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Proudag
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our first trip to Croatia, and a 7 day holiday for the family (17,15 & 2 year old children). We loved the location - right by the sea with a rocky shore great for diving into the beautifully clear sea. The view over the sea and nearby islands was beautiful.

The hotel is first class with great amenities, and the breakfast buffet is excellent - fresh food and on tap omlettes. The dive centre is a real perk - me & my son did a try dive. It's a 15 minute bus ride (12 kuna, about £1.50 each way) to Dubrovnik - every 15 minutes so very convenient. Our rooms were fine, though a little functional (no problem). Importantly extremely clean and well looked after.

The pools were excellent, the staff fine and the guest services were helpful - we booked a boat trip to the Elaphiti islands (a must do!) though charging for fuel on top in cash wasn't good practice and 350 kuna for fuel is, well, cheeky to say the least!

Within walking distance is a small, new, village with some cafe's and a sandy beach - not quaint but fine nonetheless. We did a transfer to the hotel using Connecto Transfers (a recommend - high class cars, on time and courteous drivers).

Any downsides - well only one really, the expense. I thought Croatia would be reasonable, or possibly cheap. No way. The beers were London prices, the food in the hotel and Dubrovnik is top end expensive (Pizza's at £10+) and the wine is UK restaurant prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is our fourth year at the hotel and each time it just gets better and better. You will find it very hard indeed to find such a hotel which ticks all the right boxes. The staff and service are trully exceptional and the views from the hotel are absolutely stunning and breathtaking. The breakfast buffet is to die for, with an outside terrace which overlooks the Elaphiti Islands. This hotel is that good that even film stars stayed here during our stay which says a lot about the hotels overall appeal. The old town is just a short bus journey away (15 mins) and the lovely town of Lapad is literally a stonesthrow away. Trust me, once you stay here, you will find it very hard not to return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank andyhack71
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Firstly the positives - amazing views from whatever room you have. Every room has a balcony which is fabulous. Bus for the old city stops right out front of the hotel and its only a 15 min bus ride for 24 kune return. You get the bus ticket from reception but I found you pay the exact same amount at the ticket booth outside the old city. Two (2) beautiful pools and you just walk down some stairs and either jump into the sea or go down the ladder. There is a swim up bar and the restaurant for lunch is just up the stairs.

Now the negatives - very out of date room. Needs serious re-vamping. The worst shower possible. There is only a half screen and the shower floods. The mini-bar - OMG how it stunk. I wanted to vomit from the smell. I speak fluent Croatian but it was disgusting to see when you don't speak the language how the reception staff treat guests. I did not speak a word of Croatian deliberately and I understood every horrible word one of the men was saying about guests when they walked away.

At check out - I have never in my life been so rudely spoken to by reception staff at a hotel and I travel extensively. The man who checked me out was so rude and disgusting. The transfer costs 45 Euros one way and I did a return so 90 Euros. God only knows how he managed to charge more then 90 Euros (it was only a few more Euros but all the same). As it was 6am in the morning as I had a very early flight, I didn't even question it and I had no more Euros only the 90 which is what I was quoted. He had the audacity to say to me "You should be tipping me and not me tipping you". How dare anyone be so rude and considering I am profusely apologising as I was around 4 Euros short and did feel bad but after that comment - stuff that! I am glad I didn't have any extra Euros. This was the same man who was constantly rude to me everytime I came down to get a bus ticket. You work in a hotel where customer service is paramount and not for anyone on reception to be rude to any guest regardless if they speak the language or not.

This has not deterred me from coming back but I won't forget that man and when I see him next time - I will avoid him and I did notice a few guests ignore him when he wanted their attention. Obviously he rubbed other people up the wrong way.

Despite the horrible check out - the hotel, itself, is wonderful. Lots of restaurants, 2 pools, amazing views, bus to the old city and even though I could have complained about the flooding of the shower, I was hardly in the room and by the time I came back, my room was clean and fresh again.

One major tip - get a room on a higher floor. I did request this through my travel agent but I got a room on the 4th floor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 7, 2013

View was excellent,while pool and room was good but not so special.

I enjoyed swimming in clear water just in front of the hotel.
Most of hotel staff members were friendly but a few were not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple