“Absolutely brilliant hotel”

Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Edinburgh
“Absolutely brilliant hotel”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

5 night, 6 day trip in Jul 11 - B&B only.

Hotel is fantastic very clean, helpful friendly staff, great sea view and exceptionally modern and useful facilities. Slightly isolated on the peninsula and on site restaurants are very nice but expensive. Bus into town is regular and cheap or free transfer. Lots of activities and trips available.

Positives:
Wifi available throughout including use of hotels own Ipads in lounge bar
Complimentary transfer bus into town and back in the morning and evening
gym with good equipment, indoor pool, roof top jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms
2 pools and sun terrace with sea access
Dive centre on site is very accommodating and runs daily trips and courses
Buffet breakfast and dinner offer wide selection

Negatives
On site food/drink is expensive
Pool area is busy and loungers at a premium

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our trip and would have no hesitation in staying there again - definitely recommended!

1 Thank Kev_27
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear guest,
thank you for your review.
We are extremely glad you enjoyed all of the amenities our hotel has to offer.
As for the negatives, our management team is on top of everything, I assure you, however some things simply take time.
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacation in Dubrovnik.
Please, do come again soon.
Rade Malobabic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We are staying here right now - well, the views are amazing and food at taverna maslina is delicious, the sea is wonderful and the room is OK , really up to our expectations. What Upset us was service at lounge bar near reception- when we told the cocktail girl the mojito was not Ok -and it definitely was not- she told something like " maybe you haven't tried mojito" and when we said like 'yes we did ' she said humph! Well, we pay money for it and it is not cheap! Such things really spoil the pleasure it is only our second day here... Strange because everybody writes the service is wonderful here(((((

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest,
thank you very much for writing this review, while still in the hotel.
Please, allow me to take advantage of your still being in the hotel to invite you to join me for a cup of coffee so we can discuss the bar incident. You can arrange with the reception manager the time most suitable for you. It will be my pleasure to meet you in person.
I sincerely hope you will enjoy the rest of your stay with us.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a week in early July. We had the standard double room (classic sea view balcony double). Overall, we were very happy with everything. The location is breathtakingly beautiful, with stunning views of the Adriatic sea. The hotel has a nice pool area, own rocky beach just below the pools, and a beautiful breakfast terrace. The buffet breakfast was varied and good, with cereals, fruit, cold cuts, cheeses, bread, the usual sausage/bacon/fried tomato fair, and an omelette station. The room was a bit on the small side, but it didn't bother us much as we didn't want to spend much time inside anyway. The air conditioning worked perfectly, and the shower had good pressure and hot water. The indoor pool and spa area is quite nice, and it was almost empty of other guests, which was nice for an evening sauna and swim before sleep.

The hotel is situated about 10-15 minutes from the old city by bus. Buses run every 10 or 15 minutes depending on the day. We didn't visit the old town more than three times during the week anyway, as we wanted to visit other places along the coast by car (recommended!).

We tried the Maslina Tavern restaurant once and were not satisfied. The food is quite a bit more expensive than in other, nearby restaurants, but not as good. Didn't even try the sushi restaurant after hearing negative comments from other guests.

Room Tip: For more peace and quiet, ask for a room in the wing, not above the pool area
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your review.
I apologize for this respond being late.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the offerings of our hotel and that you enjoyed Dubrovnik and exploring the area.
As for the negatives - they are taken into consideration.
We are looking forward to your next stay at Dubrovnik Palace.
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon and I was blown away by the huge glass wall that meets you in reception with absolutely stunning views of the bay. I've been to Dubrovnik a few times and I do love it there but for me this is definitely the best hotel in Lapad. We had a lovely room with a big balcony and fabulous views of the ocean and lighthouse. Staff are very friendly and helpful, as you would expect in a 5*. As a location Lapad is a good bit outside of the old town but whlith a bus stop right outside the hotel door this is not an issue. They have a very good dive school onsite also which we really enjoyed as we had seen a lot if Dubrovnik on previous trips. The breakfast had a large buffet selection which was delicious, again with stunning views. Meals in the hotel were expensive but good quality. Accommodation was excellent value for a 5* but we did stay they at Easter. I have paid a good bit more for a bad 4* in the area in high season. I would definitely stay here again, but for a regular holiday the price would need to be right.

• Stayed April 2011
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your review!
We are honoured you had chosen our hotel for your special occasion and sincerely glad you enjoyed your time with us.
Please allow me to congratulate you once more and reccommend our hotel for your next vacation in Dubrovnik.
UK
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I recently went to Croatia with my boyfriend for a 5 day break and stayed at the Dubrovnik Palace.

We arrived about 1pm at the hotel and there was a queue to see reception showing how busy it was. Once we reached reception we were greeted by a lady with short blonde hair who wasn't very hospitable and was very cold in her approach and just told us our room would not be ready till after 2pm but that we could leave our luggage etc in storage which was fine by us.

However after an hour or so we went back to reception to be told still the room was not ready and to wait so we sat in reception waiting another half hour. Our room was apparently then ready and we specifically asked was it a double. I also had to actually ask the nicer reception staff with long blonde hair about breakfast as we weren't even told. So we went up all excited to find they had arranged the room with 2 twin beds NOT a double bed. So back we went to reception and had to wait for the house keeping to arrange the twin beds to be pushed together into a double. By the time we got to relax in our room it was nearly 3pm!!! I know reception staff were under pressure with busy season but I have to say they were not very friendly or informative and I did NOT feel at all I had received 5 star treatment.

The hotel itself is lovely with both an indoor and outdoor pool and also a rocky beach area. Be warned you will need to go very early or wait for a sunlounger. Towels are provided. The snack bar serves delicious food but its quite pricey.

I have to say one service which was exceptional was guest relations!!!! The young sweet lady with the glasses was wonderfully helpful and friendly. Through them we booked a jet ski safari for 1300 Kunas for 2 people and also a trip to Mljet.

The other issue we had was our safe in our room kept playing up throughout our entire stay. On several occasions we couldn't open our safe as it kept saying 'call services' or error. About 8 times over 3/4 days we had to call reception to come up and open the safe and even the batteries were changed and still it didn't work so in the end the night before we left we gave up and didn't use the safe. Again guest relations were a massive help and very sorry for this.

On checking out of this hotel we were then accused of having not paid for the hotel fee itself but we then argued with the reception staff stating we had booked flights and hotel through last minute.com and the money had been taken from the argument. It was only when the staff went to check with their manager did they realise they were mistake and were apologetic but I felt they were so rude when they refused to believe we had paid!!!

The location of this hotel is great, being on the coast but also very easy access to the Old Town with a free shuttle bus and then also the number 4 bus which is directly outside going to the old town and costing only 10/12 Kunas.

I would recommend the following restaurants for great food: Sesame restaurant near the old town which serves amazing steak with truffles, Nemo Problemo which is so cheap and serves brilliant pizzas, mea culpa again recommended by the telegraph for its pizzas and which is great and then Orhan restaurant overlooking the sea in the old town which has great seafood!!!!

Overall I would recommend this hotel as it is luxurious and has great amenities. But I was not happy with the reception staff AT ALL! They were rude, unhelpful, and not very friendly. 5 star hotel but NOT 5 star service.

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your honest review.
I am sure you were informed about check in time after 2 pm before arriving to almost every hotel and so to Dubrovnik Palace and I apologize for the extra time you had to wait for your room to be ready. I believe the receptionist lack of experience in handling ‘crisis’ may have seemed as impoliteness however I believe you felt you were mistreated and therefore I’m truly sorry.
I will personally talk to each of the receptionists as well as the reception and housekeeping manager regarding the issues.
I am glad you liked the amenities our hotel has to offer and hope you enjoyed your trips.
I sincerely hope you still have enough of nice memories to make you come back to Dubrovnik Palace.
With king regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Hotel is absolutely wonderful for the following reasons:-
1 excellent , breath-taking panoramic view .
2 rooms comfortable, spacious and the rooms with a sea view are the best !
3 shuttle bus offers an excellent service in to the town - Dubrovnik is just 10 minutes drive away.
4 pools both in door and out door are a great size.
5 Wellness centre and comfort area are lovely touches
6 Breakfast is varied and beautifully presented.
7 The hotel is absolutely spotless!

I will definitely be recommending this hotel to friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sorce
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear guest,
thank you very much for writing such a pleasing review.
We are very proud of our hotel and try very hard keep every detail on top level daily. That fact only maximize our contentment when we receive confirmation of our efforts from our guests.
Thank you once more for choosing our hotel for your stay in Dubrovnik.
We will be expecting your return with a promise to go even beyond your expectations in making your stay unforgettable.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this hotel. It is not inexpensive, and the room was a big let down. Perhaps it would be nicer if you were on a high floor. Our room was at the bottom of the hotel, beneath the reception level. We were told that there were no other rooms available in the hotel (we were there for a four day stay and had not booked on a discount stay--it was the most expensive hotel of our trip). The room itself was tired and dreary, but the least appealing part was the soundproofing. We were surrounded by people who seemed to be on coach trips, so every morning at 6:00 or 7:00 all of the doors around us would bang loudly--that was eat for sleep. On the good side, the pool area was lovely. It is far from town, though, and we could have stayed at the Hilton right near the old town, for the same price--it looked lovely when we walked through. I can say that we definitely would not choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank literatureprof
Dear guest,
Thank you for an honest review of your stay at the Dubrovnik Palace.
You have listed some disappointments, I shall try to address all of them.
We are sorry you were let down by the room interior – we understand that the minimalist style of the hotel does not appeal to everyone's taste.
Should you be visiting Dubrovnik again may I recommend the Excelsior Hotel as it is a more traditional, luxury hotel esp. when it comes to the interior design.
Regarding room location – due to the cascading nature of the building all of the rooms are located beneath the reception level but I assume you were located on one of the lower floors.
We are in peak season in June and July which is reflected in the occupancy which might have upset your sleep (I am very sorry) and the prices, which are more than comparable to the competition I assure you.
What the Dubrovnik Palace has, unlike the competition you listed – is the seafront location, private beaches and outdoor pools.
Surely there are plenty of other things to like about our hotel, but I respect your honest and objective opinion.
I am truly sorry you will not visit us again, but hopefully you will be visiting Dubrovnik.